• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I did NOT know that.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I did not know that people did not know that NH has an ocean front.

All I know about NH ocean front properties is they got enough room for at least one liquor store. :ogcool:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Units are PSI for this equation.This was an old Air Force rule of thumb from when I was an Air Force Flight engineer

I never considered it for motorcycle or bicycle use. I mentioned this in a airline interview in the mid 2000's and the Chief pilot said that they had a slightly different equation used in the Navy.
I had quite a tussle back in the day with Mr. Brandt about this. He was insistent that aircraft tires wouldn't hydroplane and I of course disagreed. They have a flat contact patch so they will eventually hydroplane. He obfuscated by diverting to relevant speed... I suspect there is some variation based on weight etc. However I do know that it's very speed sensitive and 1kmh literally can be the difference..

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As a local that kayaks…every time I think I have it figured out, I am quickly proven wrong.
All I know about NH ocean front properties is they got enough room for at least one liquor store. :ogcool:

Maybe that's why there is room for liquor stores. Drink, don't paddle!

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
And what units for speed? Rods per second?

I wouldn't put much stock in that equation; it doesn't match up with reality. Maybe all things being equal the relationship holds, but all things are never equal. My Michelin Pilots have higher hydroplaning speed than the Bridgestone Ecopia plus tires they replaced. My tires get lower hydroplaning speeds as the tread wears out. Tread design and depth are the main factors the formula doesn't account for.
I suppose you could increase your hydro-planing speed by pumping up your tires. Probably only worth it if you were in a race.
As a general guide it does work .(For my reality) But you are correct it doesn't provide totally accurate information. It's a tidbit that air crew members and the like find useful.
I'm no longer a air crew member but I use this as a rough guide on all of my vehicles during the rainy months. Your mileage will vary :)

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had quite a tussle back in the day with Mr. Brandt about this. He was insistent that aircraft tires wouldn't hydroplane and I of course disagreed. They have a flat contact patch so they will eventually hydroplane. He obfuscated by diverting to relevant speed... I suspect there is some variation based on weight etc. However I do know that it's very speed sensitive and 1kmh literally can be the difference..
Tire pressure on large commercial jets tend to be set at approximately 200 PSI. Using this formula it gives you a hydroplane speed of 120 mph.
This speed is transitory of course on both takeoff and landing.
For automotive use it is just a rough guide that I find useful. With my car tires inflated to 32 psi I have found that with water on the freeway my VW Passat has the potential to hydroplane at 48-50 mph.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
So are you saying that if I get a low profile tire, my hydroplane speed goes up? Lower profile tires require higher pressure vs others for the same vehicle.
Hmm, never considered low profile tires using this formula as a guide. My ancient book learning didn't address the profile of the tire. My understanding is that increased pressure would equate to a higher speed though :)

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
All I know about NH ocean front is that I have a healthy respect for that whack tide pattern (sorry, should read: chaos) and would never go kayaking without a local again.

As a local that kayaks…every time I think I have it figured out, I am quickly proven wrong.

I've been using the SoCal version for years as daily surf calendar, visually appealing and a way to map out the best tides ...... you can always check Surfline Surflie or Magic Seaweed for wave heights as well......

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I've been using the SoCal version for years as daily surf calendar, visually appealing and a way to map out the best tides ...... you can always check Surfline Surflie or Magic Seaweed for wave heights as well......
The largest problem I run into is deciding which way the current is going to flow in different inlets. Many of them flow in the opposite direction you would expect them to due to another opening at the other end. For example, here's a popular area to kayak/paddleboard, but it flows in/out both sides...so you're sometimes going with the current, and sometimes against it. There are smaller inlets around that if you asked me before going, I would be 100% certain we would be paddling with the tide, only to get there and realize we're going against it.

Not sure if Tidelog would help with this aspect of tides?

1660572592619.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The largest problem I run into is deciding which way the current is going to flow in different inlets. Many of them flow in the opposite direction you would expect them to due to another opening at the other end. For example, here's a popular area to kayak/paddleboard, but it flows in/out both sides...so you're sometimes going with the current, and sometimes against it. There are smaller inlets around that if you asked me before going, I would be 100% certain we would be paddling with the tide, only to get there and realize we're going against it.

Not sure if Tidelog would help with this aspect of tides?

View attachment 175557

....and ^that's not even trying to account for the abnormalities from the estuary proper and the Great Bay system. That place is scary weird.

But do let us know how the Tidelog predictions go. Maybe I should try it again, but I'll deffo pop into the liquor store afterwards :)

Now that I think about it, maybe @KingGrump is right and the whole NH seacoast is a giant bait&switch to sell booze :geek::ogbiggrin:

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not everyone in New Jersey lives at a specific exit.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Lauren and @cantunamunch clearly there is a lot more going on than tide/wind in that location - the tide log will give you general "its high now going low" information, which combined with 'local knowledge' would be good enough in most circumstances. But it appears you have the surges going in between the outlets in @Lauren 's picture - so not only high low, but how that drains/flows in that area plus wind, plus current so I understand its not as simple as looking at a beach with consistent swell, wind and current direction on a specific tide. Also upon looking at a yearly tide chart it seems that you have rather large swings between highs and lows, with the minimum of 5 foot and max around 9 foot between high and low tides so that's a lot of water moving in a 12 hour period which is why you get those nasty currents/surges.

So yes local knowledge trumps anything you could find online...... much more complicated than my daily open ocean/beach issues.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Big water is why engines for boats were invented!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As a huge Tapeheads fan, Babydoll by Cube-Squared was one of the high points of the movie for me.

I didn't know it was a cover of a Devo song.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't... but I'd guess some kind of hearing aid? Looks military, so maybe battlefield hearing/comms or something?
Pretty much. Before radar, they used acoustic sensors of various sorts. These are some of the smaller scale ones. The English built concrete refectling dishes, some as large as 200ft.

Here’s the description:

—————————-
German sound location, 1917. The photograph shows a junior officer and a soldier from an unidentified Feldartillerie regiment wearing combined acoustic/optical locating apparatus. The small-aperture goggles were apparently set so that when the sound was located by turning the head, the aircraft would be visible.
—————————-

Some other ones-
05233271-6D84-4F73-94DA-66F73CD5CA63.jpeg

The Dutch personal parabola, 1930s. This personal sound locator consists of two parabolic sections, presumably made from aluminium for lightness. They are mounted a fixed distance apart, but the size of the human head varies somewhat. To accommodate this, it appears that the instrument is fitted with inflatable ear-pads. According to a report dated 1935, this device was put into at least limited production.

3526C0FB-8010-47D4-BF5A-4257181F8A07.jpeg

Japanese soldiers demonstrate the use of a “war tuba”. 1932.

0CBFA411-DFD6-4223-AF92-B143CF6D5D57.jpeg

A pair of enormous amplifiers used by the U.S. Naval Air Service for locating and contacting airplanes by day and night. 1925.

566D6E32-9ED5-44BE-8DF2-AF7B0CC7E2D0.jpeg

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't... but I'd guess some kind of hearing aid? Looks military, so maybe battlefield hearing/comms or something?

Counter-battery fire director. They also had electronic/microphonic ones in the trenches, with *much* wider baselines for direction finding.

Most of that technical rabbit hole stuff dates from after Verdun and the Somme, for both production and artillery doctrine reasons.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online