• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I guess we need to discuss the debacle that is College Football

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Washington Husky Alumni and fan here. I guess I'm supposed to be excited about UW and UO going to the BIG whatever....but I'm so disgusted with how quickly this realignment has torn apart the regional aspect of the game. I also love all the Olympic sports and being a west-coaster its awful what this will do the non football athletes. All this makes me want to do is invest very little in fandom anymore and focus on my own activities because I don't recognize the sport anymore. I've gone to multiple Rose Bowls and loved the Big 10/Pac 10/12 history...but its all gone now. All gone. :(

Conference of "Champions"

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Big12 and PAC should have just merged to preserve the rivalries and maintain SOME geographical sense. BIG/PAC South/West or whatever. At least TX and OK sliding a little east made SOME sense geographically and kept the biggest rivalry for both of them.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
@locknload that website is awesome.

Im not an NFL fan, but I do enjoy college football. Welp I did, this realignment we’ve been witnessing is a mess(imo). My only hope is that within 4-5 years the powers that be(tv) will be able to restructure this mess into something meaningful. What that looks like, I dont know.

‘More money, more problems’

TS
locknload

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The debacles of leadership by the Pac 12 Commissioner (past and former) and the University Presidents set this in motion. I won't bore everyone with the details here but Stuart Mandell has a great article in the Athletic about it. A few years back UT and OU were all set to leave the Big 12 and head to the Pac 12...but some shortsighted decisions prevented that from happening. Then....their previous media deal was an albatross leading to SC and UCLA bailing and the rest is history. Now UW women's soccer can look forward to a weekday game at Rutgers.....

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
I'm a Maryland alum and I hated it when they left the ACC for the Big Ten in 2014. They did it for the money, but they lost the old rivalries and traditions. Big Ten might split into a Big Ten and Little Ten in the future.
Also, I'm now hearing FSU and others in ACC are very discontented and unless there are drastic changes in revenue sharing ACC might collapse. Maryland's move looking prescient, but sad to see the regional conferences breaking up. It's dog eat dog and survival of the fittest.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
As a life-long Pac 10er, so to speak, this is all just so weird.
What is the effect going to be on other sports at these schools like WAZZU? (Says the mom with the kid who is looking at attending WSU.)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
I'm happy CU is back in the Big Howevermanyitisnow, they should never have left, but geez.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Now UW women's soccer can look forward to a weekday game at Rutgers.....
I'm curious about this part... not all sports have to be in the same conference. At Virginia Tech (my alma mater), basketball and football (and other sports) were in different conferences for a long time until they joined the ACC.

Would school sports that can't afford to or don't have time to travel cross-country stay in the Pac-12? Could a new conference be formed to keep a regional affiliation for non-revenue sports (everything but football and basketball)?

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere that I've read - it seems to be purely about football.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
I've heard the Big Ten might eventually break into Big and Little Tens. The Bigs compete in football, the Littles compete in basketball. Revenue would get shared with more to Bigs and less to Littles.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I do like the idea of FOUR power conferences. Makes a playoff bracket easier than 5.. Top 2 from each.

Is Notre Dame finally going all in on ACC ball?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As a life-long Pac 10er, so to speak, this is all just so weird.
What is the effect going to be on other sports at these schools like WAZZU? (Says the mom with the kid who is looking at attending WSU.)
I remember it being the Pac 8.

I'm curious about this part... not all sports have to be in the same conference. At Virginia Tech (my alma mater), basketball and football (and other sports) were in different conferences for a long time until they joined the ACC.

Would school sports that can't afford to or don't have time to travel cross-country stay in the Pac-12? Could a new conference be formed to keep a regional affiliation for non-revenue sports (everything but football and basketball)?

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere that I've read - it seems to be purely about football.
That’s what I’m thinking, as far as scheduling it likely impacts the marquee sports like football and basketball more than all the other teams in the Athletic Departments.

That said, those two sports account for the majority of the funds that pay for those other sports, so I guess it is pretty consequential for all sports.

In the meantime, Olivia Dunne alone will generate more revenue than the Pac 4.

TS
locknload

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I think this is where it should go. I admit I don't know what the legal and business considerations are relative to making the football conference affiliation separate from the other sports. To me, this would the right hybrid solution.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Notre Dame has been all in on ACC basketball while playing the independent card they've always hidden behind for football for the several seasons. They did dip their toe in to ACC football during COVID because ACC offered to schedule games and the other small schools were still sitting out;

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Notre Dame has been all in on ACC basketball while playing the independent card they've always hidden behind for football for the several seasons. They did dip their toe in to ACC football during COVID because ACC offered to schedule games and the other small schools were still sitting out;
Hidden behind the independent card? There's not a school in the country that wouldn't take Notre Dame's deal if they were offered it. Get to play who you want when you want, have an exclusive television contract, and a carve out clause in the playoffs? Notre Dame would be foolish to join a conference and give up those conditions. The only thing they are missing out on is the opportunity to get an extra resume padding game in a conference championship.

Also, they didn't "dip their toe in to ACC football during COVID." The ACC contract for all other sports requires Notre Dame to play four ACC schools in football every year. Not a COVID thing. Its as close as Notre Dame will/should get to joining a football conference, unless things change with NBC and/or the playoff committee.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hidden behind the independent card? There's not a school in the country that wouldn't take Notre Dame's deal if they were offered it. Get to play who you want when you want, have an exclusive television contract, and a carve out clause in the playoffs? Notre Dame would be foolish to join a conference and give up those conditions. The only thing they are missing out on is the opportunity to get an extra resume padding game in a conference championship.

Also, they didn't "dip their toe in to ACC football during COVID." The ACC contract for all other sports requires Notre Dame to play four ACC schools in football every year. Not a COVID thing. Its as close as Notre Dame will/should get to joining a football conference, unless things change with NBC and/or the playoff committee.
Affirmative Action has ended. So that deal is probably ending very soon. Everyone will have to be a conference or divisional champ to enter the playoff going forward

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
When they say its not about the money ... IT IS about the money.

Interesting to me is the various levels of earning amongst teams. Full share teams will get about $60 mil a year while the Ducks and Huskies will start at $30 mil and increase $1 mil a year. Will the full share teams be content at 60 mil forever? Will Oregon and Huskies ever become full fledge members?

Sponsor

Staff online