• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I guess we need to discuss the debacle that is College Football

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
1701814447960.png

TS
locknload

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So what does everyone think about the Final four? Anyone giving my Huskies a chance? Underdogs yet again...let's goo!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So what does everyone think about the Final four? Anyone giving my Huskies a chance? Underdogs yet again...let's goo!
Trolling!!! :roflmao:

Well, they're ranked but I haven't followed em. Best of luck and I hope all 4 teams play their best game and calls are fair/correct.

Being a Big10 fan, I'm hoping Michigan does well but they showed a good defense can definitely slow em.

The process is a bit messy and I'd be interested in how many teams lost players to the draft. Seems the process would allow the seasons regular players the ability to play if in bowls.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
The latest out West is the defector 10 have negotiated a settlement with the 2 remaining PAC schools. This is not a surprising development given the Washington Supreme Court refused to take up the case and lifted the TRO which meant WSU and OSU had the only two voting board seats.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
FSU getting very serious about leaving the ACC, see here. Wonder if this will be the start of the end for the ACC?

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I view FSU as either trying to negotiate a lower buyout or get the conference to agree to uneven distributions so they can get more money.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Give it 5 years.. It's ultimately going to end up being two power conferences (SEC/South and B1G/North) with two divisions in each.. Top 2 from each division + 4 other top ranked teams for the 12 team playoff..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
FSU had only 12 players suited up who had played in another college level football game today. All the rest were injured or in the portal. I'd have left too if I were in the ACC and wanting to someday play for a championship.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
FSU had only 12 players suited up who had played in another college level football game today. All the rest were injured or in the portal.
Things didn’t go their way so they spent weeks complaining then gave up on their team and school and sat out? Not impressed. Entering the transfer portal doesn’t preclude a player from playing in a bowl. I understand concerns about injury, but I also don’t think you give up on your teammates until the last game is played. The players from Georgia had as much reason to be disappointed, yet they showed up and performed.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
The NIL cooperatives need to structure their contracts that makes a significant amount of the payment be a bonus after the athlete has played in the final game they are eligible for the season. Maybe that would keep so many from bolting early to the portal or “preparing” for the NFL.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
FSU flameout situation much worse than I thought. College ball really sick right now.

Reactions: BC.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Things didn’t go their way so they spent weeks complaining then gave up on their team and school and sat out? Not impressed. Entering the transfer portal doesn’t preclude a player from playing in a bowl. I understand concerns about injury, but I also don’t think you give up on your teammates until the last game is played. The players from Georgia had as much reason to be disappointed, yet they showed up and performed.
Surely the athletes are the ones putting their bodies and health on the line for no/ inadequate reward.
So if they take a view that the NCAA has screwed them over, avoiding injury in a meaningless game seems reasonable.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FSU had only 12 players suited up who had played in another college level football game today. All the rest were injured or in the portal. I'd have left too if I were in the ACC and wanting to someday play for a championship.

The NIL cooperatives need to structure their contracts that makes a significant amount of the payment be a bonus after the athlete has played in the final game they are eligible for the season. Maybe that would keep so many from bolting early to the portal or “preparing” for the NFL.
Surely the athletes are the ones putting their bodies and health on the line for no/ inadequate reward.
So if they take a view that the NCAA has screwed them over, avoiding injury in a meaningles
Most the bowl games have some stars declaring or off to portal and not playing, games are just not the same.

I thought I read recently around 10 GT players are making $300K with the NIL .. but not positive other than thinking .. wow. Far less than the $750K avg start in NFL but then playing in college with current friends, school, etc I would think has advantage and maybe for many, lower risk of injury?

Maybe not given the numbers cutting out early if given the chance but have read some players have stayed for those reasons.

Do agree however with the comments .. big transition period for players and schools, tons of cash, money, now it's really big business. Fret what I loved about College Sports, it's loyalty to a school will become across the board for most .. who pays me and showcases me the best.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well that “FSU belongs on the playoffs” argument didn’t age well.
Actually, it aged like a fine Cabernet, that game proves the point. When players are told that wins don't matter, and that the best talent is better off getting the hell out as soon as they can - who in their right minds can think that the game won't be adversely affected? It's one thing for a team to be weakened due to the results of normal game play; it's another thing entirely for it to happen due to the fantasy-football whims of people who don't understand what the game is really about.

FSU earned the #4 spot. Saying they didn't because they didn't look as good as other teams is like saying that Franz Klammer didn't win at Innsbruck.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've heard that some NIL deals sweeten the pot for bowl game participation I'd like to make that mandatory. Players going to the draft definitely SHOULD opt out. Players transferring might want to. Caleb Williams actually played for Oklahoma in their 2021 bowl game even though he was transferring to USC. Taywee Walker played for Oklahoma while in the portal Thursday. So, it's not that they can't play if they are entering the portal. I just think they should give up some of the NIL bonus if they sit out.. that's all.. nothing major.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
FSU earned the #4 spot.
FSU wasn’t one of the best four teams at the end of the season. Regardless of whatever happened up to that point. Not with their second or third string QB. At the end of the season, when it mattered, they weren’t the same team that won 13 games. Their bowl embarrassment proved that.

But I suppose reasonable minds may have to disagree.

Sponsor

Staff online