• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I hate to actually admit this, but ... I have no clue about tuning

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I posted on another thread talking complaining about how we are over obsessed with the tools and how to tune, so instead of reposting, here is a link to it as it was meant to go here originally.

Let the fur fly.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
ok, yep I was a ware of that. The statement in post#88 made me wonder what I was missing.
I was being a bit facetious! But, comparing a $295.00 tool to a multi $1,000 machionery was ridiculous. If you are going to tune your own gear, the 1st thing you need to have is a means of measuring your base bevel accurately.
Otherwise you have a simple exercise in futility. If you use tool for say 15 years and it costs you about $20 bucks per year to maintain equipment pretty damn reasonable since a full machine tune is about $65. Welcome to skiing. It's not an inexpensive endeavor nor is tuning your expensive equipment properly. Now, if you want to hack up your base bevel and guess.....anyone is totally entitled to do so, it WAS a free country! Folks were complaining about spending $295 on a measuring tool. It was $250 when I bought it. Plenty of people on the Forum have side edgers that far exceed that cost, when you can certainly get away with files and diamond stones.

Last edited:
TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
As the OP, I want to change the title of this thread to "I hated to actually admit this, but I had no clue about tuning ... until educated by y'all". Now I have some idea, and intend to maintain my edges (indeed, just bought a ski vise from our sponsor @RaceWax.com and have a fairly substantial belief that certain edge tuning tools might be in my stocking). Of course, this all depends on there actually being enough skiing for us all for which is by no means certain ...

Sponsor

Staff online