• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I have a confession (in praise of short carvy skis)

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Turn shape determining speed or speed determining turn shape? We are approaching rabbit hole territory. :D Both can be true simultaneously I guess ( I’m only on my second cup of coffee) . I’m just saying that the turn shape in deep crud should be less C shaped and more of a stretched out S shape , more fall line directed. If that crud is wet or refrozen, even more so. Maybe you were doing that already and the were just bogging down. You can expand the skis ideal or best intended use by adapting your technique. I’m not saying it’s the best use of the skis but as a practical matter it’s often necessary.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Turn shape determining speed. That's my game plan.

Always. One of the best feelings in skiing is when you realize you can fully control the speed no matter how steep the slope is by varying the shape of the turn. Enormous confidence booster.

FIS SL ski have been a YUGE eye opener for me in this regard. Past seasons I sometimes found myself looking down and thinking-man,that’s a bit too steep. Not anymore. Now I just don’t care. The internal dialogue is already more like -You think you will have problem with this? —-(in Alain Veth’s voice)- No I don’t think I will… :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Always. One of the best feelings in skiing is when you realize you can fully control the speed no matter how steep the slope is by varying the shape of the turn. Enormous confidence booster.

FIS SL ski have been a YUGE eye opener for me in this regard. Past seasons I sometimes found myself looking down and thinking-man,that’s a bit too steep. Not anymore. Now I just don’t care. The internal dialogue is already more like -You think you will have problem with this? —-(in Alain Veth’s voice)- No I don’t think I will… :ogbiggrin:
I had a similar revelation on my 66 under foot Head eOriginals early this year. It was just an easy black trail with a little bit of pitch but I was shocked at how slow I could ski it. Became a little game to see how slow I could ski them on steeper terrain.

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah, me too. Carved turns on Sun Peaks’ Static Cling was a first for me this year. Too much fun. Japanese tech-comp skis, not FIS SL, but same difference.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My excuse is that I can’t get my 64 year old body to do what it could at 19…or my equally old, but wiser brain to convince it to see if it can.

The most common cause of injury to old men is they still think they are young men.

Turn shape determining speed. That's my game plan.

Shape your turns to develop your line. Allow your line to control your speed.

CaMKii

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Can I piggy back on this thread to ask about the difference between a citizen's race ski vs a strong frontside ski? I got a pair of Supershape i.rallys last season after drinking the wide ski koolaid for years. I expected the groomer performance but the versatility was what really surprised me - groomers, trees, bumps, they do it all. Now the wide skis (Blizzard bonafides) are reserved for days with >12 inches of fresh.

Curious about going further down this rabbit hole. How much more demanding to ski would for example something like the Head eRace Pro be vs compared to my Supershapes?

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
The most common cause of injury to old men is they still think they are young men.

Shape your turns to develop your line. Allow your line to control your speed.
Certainly no arguing with the first.
Nor with the second really, but sometimes I let the speed I want to go determine the line.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
but sometimes I let the speed I want to go determine the line.

Speaking of putting the cart before the horse. That's actually like letting the cart going down the hill then set the horse to chase it down. Sort of like we'll figure it out when we get there.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ha ha - yes, you have to have make sure you have a good grip on the reins for sure. But you can choose slow.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ha ha - yes, you have to have make sure you have a good grip on the reins for sure. But you can choose slow.

But the cart is long gone.

When the speed dictates the line. It means you are skiing without control. We call that a SCUD. An unguided meat missile.

Speed control through line does not necessary mean slow. Ask the good folks on this forum that had ski with me.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can I piggy back on this thread to ask about the difference between a citizen's race ski vs a strong frontside ski? I got a pair of Supershape i.rallys last season after drinking the wide ski koolaid for years. I expected the groomer performance but the versatility was what really surprised me - groomers, trees, bumps, they do it all. Now the wide skis (Blizzard bonafides) are reserved for days with >12 inches of fresh.

Curious about going further down this rabbit hole. How much more demanding to ski would for example something like the Head eRace Pro be vs compared to my Supershapes?

Just buy a pair of FIS SL ski and be done with it. :ogbiggrin:

Seriously, Rebels will be a YUGE step above the Supershapes. Different skis.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Certainly no arguing with the first.
Nor with the second really, but sometimes I let the speed I want to go determine the line.

Speed is a product and result of your line/turn shape man. Speed shouldn’t dictate anything, it is you who should be driving the things.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
But the cart is long gone.

When the sped dictates the line. It means you are skiing without control. We call that a SCUD. An unguided meat missile.

Speed control through line does not necessary mean slow. Ask the good folks on this forum that had ski with me.

True if you let the speed determine the line mid stream and are just going along for the ride. But at the top you can determine how you want to approach the descent. Say you decide you want to stay in the fall line more and go faster, or draw out the turns, or make shorter J turns, or whatever. There are a lot of ways to get down - in control. You can choose the speed you want to go and take the line you know will accomplish the run you want.
If you miscalculate or the slope gets crowded, or empties , then you can adjust - it's not meat missile or statue.
I think we're saying the same thing - just from two different directions. Like the chicken or the egg thing.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Awwww .... our little T. Storano has become a grown up and embraced the FIS SL!
<<wipes away tears of the proud parents>>>>>

Yeah very funny, haha.

Sad truth is that after 4 weeks skiing almost exclusively the FIS SL my confidence is through the roof now and if anything I will become even more annoying. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online