• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I have a confession (in praise of short carvy skis)

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just out of curiosity where are you skiing your FIS SL’s @Tony Storaro ? East coast?
sounds like you’ve got the right ski for the right conditions/terrain coupled with the right attitude.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just out of curiosity where are you skiing your FIS SL’s @Tony Storaro ? East coast?
sounds like you’ve got the right ski for the right conditions/terrain coupled with the right attitude.

Europe. Short-ish, steep-ish, crowded groomers most of the time. Hard and icy very often.
FIS SL along with the 172 WRT are the ski in my quiver that make the most sense in these conditions.
Add to that that I do not have much time and need to cram all my turns and energy into 3-4 hours morning/night sessions and you see why the FIS SL shine so brightly. I will add at least one more pair next season. They just make….perfect sense.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah yes, forgot to add-the FIS SL ski help you work on your technique like nothing else. There is no added fluff and fat in form of length and width it is all very direct and immediate. You instantly know whether you are doing it right or not, nothing blurs the sensation.
I like that very much as most of the time I don’t ski to just enjoy skiing or have fun, I ski to get better at skiing-better timing,balance, stance etc and the FIS SL are just the perfect tool for that. Demanding-yeah, not easy-most definitely, challenging-sure. I like all of that very much.

Last edited:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, there is an immediacy to the input that gives you great feedback and response but can be punishing if you don’t know how to use them or are still figuring it out. . That’s just the price of admission but it’s worth it once you figure it out.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, there is an immediacy to the input that gives you great feedback and response but can be punishing if you don’t know how to use them or are still figuring it out. . That’s just the price of admission but it’s worth it once you figure it out.

I want to ski like that:

FIS SL help me BIGLY to move towards that goal. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Agree FIS SL can be reactive when learning and working on technique. Once mastered, it can be your best friend. Almost like an all mountain ski. Just have to be gentle. However, being gentle does not appear to the usual MO for most forum members.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree FIS SL can be reactive when learning and working on technique. Once mastered, it can be your best friend. Almost like an all mountain ski. Just have to be gentle. However, being gentle does not appear to the usual MO for most forum members.

Well look in soft snow and slush you are either gentle or on your ass, there is no third option. Especially in slush-you need to ski them like a fairy-edges barely kissing the snow. Or else…
I learned that on 180 WRTs which bite even more brutally when you overdo it even slightly. Been through lotsa pain till I got it right… :roflmao:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well look in soft snow and slush you are either gentle or on your ass, there is no third option.

Not so much as gentle but smooth.

They can do gentle on ice and hard pack too.
Just have to dial back on the testosterone and adrenaline.
Skiing starts in the head.

Just like sex. Variety is key.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to test a pair of Voelkl RaceTiger SL, Master (model, having different internal construction compared the the "shop-graded" model, also with piston plate instead of the rmotion plate, which I have come to distrust despite offering the advantage of versatility and lgihtness).
Albeit not exactly a FIS model, day and night as compared to their "shop-graded" bethrens and aeons forward compared to my old Heads iSl.
A ski that, contrary to my belief, other than skiing it with short turns, I could also push up to medium-longish radius turns without problems.
Now I am in serious trouble as to which ski to add to the quiver.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not so much as gentle but smooth.

They can do gentle on ice and hard pack too.
Just have to dial back on the testosterone and adrenaline.
Skiing starts in the head.

Just like sex. Variety is key.

BOY ! those are the perfect clips to watch before heading out tomorrow !!!! Thank you !

I found, on the Pros, on soft snow, that smooth is the key, but you don't have to be gentle. As long as the force was applied smoothly and deliberately I was able to bury the edge deep enough to carve turns as tightly as I ever have and the feeling is different, being more in the snow than just on it. Really reminded me of surfing where at the bottom of a steep 15ft + wave you want to be smooth and deliberate and be sure that rail is set in there good.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I recently grabbed some new Rossi FIS SL but in the "long" length of 165.
Today's impulse buy was new Dynastar FIS SL in the "short" 157 length. Clearly "FIS Tony" has gotten to me :roflmao: ! My season is now done as of today, and I will decide on the keeper next season :thumb:. Both were at 40% off so no tough to say no to them when "race" skis rarely go on sale up here.

IMG_5175.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
I recently grabbed some new Rossi FIS SL but in the "long" length of 165.
Today's impulse buy was new Dynastar FIS SL in the "short" 157 length. Clearly "FIS Tony" has gotten to me :roflmao: ! My season is now done as of today, and I will decide on the keeper next season :thumb:. Both were at 40% off so no tough to say no to them when "race" skis rarely go on sale up here.

View attachment 198661
I’ll be happy to test them out for you so they’re ready for next season.