• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I have a confession (in praise of short carvy skis)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
PSA @ARL67 No matter how good it might feel do not ski those SLs at max speed. If they do decide to bite into the snow when you are just ripping along way above their design speed it will not end well. I am incredibly lucky that it never happened to me personally, but it does happen. If I want to speed these days, I don't do it on 13-m skis.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Yup , I have already sensed their power at faster speeds and definitely will not "engage" them or else suffer a massive launch. :thumb:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PSA @ARL67 No matter how good it might feel do not ski those SLs at max speed. If they do decide to bite into the snow when you are just ripping along way above their design speed it will not end well. I am incredibly lucky that it never happened to me personally, but it does happen. If I want to speed these days, I don't do it on 13-m skis.

He doesn’t need to. Huge fun can be had on these at way way lower speeds than what I’d normally call fun. That’s the beauty of them. You go 80 km/h on 189/27 Masters GS ski and are like…meh….
You go 70 km/h on FIS SL and are ‘OMFG imma die…” :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Top speed is not where the fun is with these I found, it is the energy, the quickness, the rebound, the confidence on the steeps etc. Which in turn makes them absolutely perfect for the crowded slopes I have to deal with this season. I can stuff all the turns and all the sweat in much shorter time and space.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How much of my like for the 2021 Rossi Hero Athlete FIS SL 157 comes from the build/layup, or does the R22 plate contribute a lot to the overall solidity and locked in feel ?

FYI:

So I also grabbed a set of new Salomon 963 in 168 ( dims are 122/68/104 r13 ) and got out on them for a few hours over 2 sessions . Day 1 was very firm, but scraped off groomers, along with miscellaneous accumulated piles of powdery junk from the scrapings. Day 2 today was just a bit softer groomers, but the corduroy let you know it was there.

First off, Dynastar makes a great looking ski, with a nice use of blue on blue, a combo of gloss & matte finishes, some texture here and there, and a splash of colour. The build and aesthetics really convey a quality ski IMO.

The included SPX12 binding on the Konect track seemed quite "plastic'y and insubstantial" in comparison my Hero Athlete FIS SL 157 and its R22 plate / Rockerace SPX12. But Yes, most consumer bindings on a track are mostly plastic these days.

Also of note is that the Dynastar has a much deeper tip rocker line than expected. I wouldn't have thought that a such a 68mm wide frontside ski would have such a "friendly tip".

That said, I did not like this ski when setup " in the middle" for my 314 BSL and how I ski. There was a vague connection to the snow in Day 1's non-ideal conditions, and I could see the tip sorta disengaged and almost flapping ( exaggerating ). After a few runs, I clicked the binding about 1cm notch forward and felt much better edge engagement, so I continued that way for another 8-10 runs on my 650' hill.

I started liking the ski more and more, but it lacked the solidity / confidence of my other Hero Athlete FIS SL 157, and even my K2 STi 170cm (72mm wide) which I sold to my pal early this week after I let him demo, and he raved about them -> Doh ! Now the Rossi has a 0.5/3* tune and the K2 a 1/3* tune, and I think this Dynastar is 1/2* from the factory. I'll ski it some more and decide if I'll get it ground ( to ensure flatness ) and also put a 0.5/3* on it.

If I had to pick between the 2, I'd keep the Rossi.
For what I want out of a very narrow ski, I do not want the noticeable tip rocker and the a bit lack of tip engagement that comes with it. I also want a ski that is very damp as I was surprised how the Dynastar conveyed the feel of the not-very-hard corduroy underfoot ( in comparison to the Rossi )

I'm also sort intrigued by the Atomic X9 WB Revo S and it's replacement with the newer Q9 Revo S 168 or 160 ( all of which are 75 underfoot ). I'm going to rent the Q9 from a local shop just to scratch that itch. I'm pretty sure I can start with the 168 and swap out for a 160 same-day.

Fun times playing with skinny skis !

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just look at around 7:00 man this is absolutely fabulous skiing, so fluid and effortless…yeah I hate this guy…

That's not that difficult to do. Just have to work on it.

Couple seasons back at Palisade Tahoe, @Tony S commented to @Sandy_NYC about the lack of SL turns even thought she was on SL skis. Sandy commented she is working on it. Now, she is doing it.

It's the journey. Doesn't happen over night. And more important, don't let the journey end. :beercheer:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In that case...

Funny you chose this guy as he started his YT career with freeriding fat skis and ended up with…are you seated?…..FIS SL… :roflmao: :roflmao:

Otherwise, yeah, that’s me, give me a pair of softish twin tips, some rails, ramps and the other stuff and I am happy…:roflmao:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny you chose this guy as he started his YT career with freeriding fat skis and ended up with…are you seated?…..FIS SL… :roflmao: :roflmao:

Otherwise, yeah, that’s me, give me a pair of softish twin tips, some rails, ramps and the other stuff and I am happy…:roflmao:
Yeah, they make good content. Short turns!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How much of my like for the 2021 Rossi Hero Athlete FIS SL 157 comes from the build/layup, or does the R22 plate contribute a lot to the overall solidity and locked in feel ?

FYI:

So I also grabbed a set of new Salomon 963 in 168 ( dims are 122/68/104 r13 ) and got out on them for a few hours over 2 sessions . Day 1 was very firm, but scraped off groomers, along with miscellaneous accumulated piles of powdery junk from the scrapings. Day 2 today was just a bit softer groomers, but the corduroy let you know it was there.

First off, Dynastar makes a great looking ski, with a nice use of blue on blue, a combo of gloss & matte finishes, some texture here and there, and a splash of colour. The build and aesthetics really convey a quality ski IMO.

The included SPX12 binding on the Konect track seemed quite "plastic'y and insubstantial" in comparison my Hero Athlete FIS SL 157 and its R22 plate / Rockerace SPX12. But Yes, most consumer bindings on a track are mostly plastic these days.

Also of note is that the Dynastar has a much deeper tip rocker line than expected. I wouldn't have thought that a such a 68mm wide frontside ski would have such a "friendly tip".

That said, I did not like this ski when setup " in the middle" for my 314 BSL and how I ski. There was a vague connection to the snow in Day 1's non-ideal conditions, and I could see the tip sorta disengaged and almost flapping ( exaggerating ). After a few runs, I clicked the binding about 1cm notch forward and felt much better edge engagement, so I continued that way for another 8-10 runs on my 650' hill.

I started liking the ski more and more, but it lacked the solidity / confidence of my other Hero Athlete FIS SL 157, and even my K2 STi 170cm (72mm wide) which I sold to my pal early this week after I let him demo, and he raved about them -> Doh ! Now the Rossi has a 0.5/3* tune and the K2 a 1/3* tune, and I think this Dynastar is 1/2* from the factory. I'll ski it some more and decide if I'll get it ground ( to ensure flatness ) and also put a 0.5/3* on it.

If I had to pick between the 2, I'd keep the Rossi.
For what I want out of a very narrow ski, I do not want the noticeable tip rocker and the a bit lack of tip engagement that comes with it. I also want a ski that is very damp as I was surprised how the Dynastar conveyed the feel of the not-very-hard corduroy underfoot ( in comparison to the Rossi )

I'm also sort intrigued by the Atomic X9 WB Revo S and it's replacement with the newer Q9 Revo S 168 or 160 ( all of which are 75 underfoot ). I'm going to rent the Q9 from a local shop just to scratch that itch. I'm pretty sure I can start with the 168 and swap out for a 160 same-day.

Fun times playing with skinny skis !
x9 yay
q9 = .. hmmm nay

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I'm ready.
Today I managed to score some 5355 DIN soles. Free !!! from my bootseller/fitter.
In case some FIS skis non-GW compatible present themselves.
And . . . my carvers arrived courtesy of Powder7 and my credit card!!
Used demo Stockli Laser SC 149. They seem in very good shape. I even think I see some "structure," but what do I know?
I expect to debut them at the NE Gathering, Saturday at Sugarloaf, which will likely be firm. This could be interesting . . . . .
IMG_1924.jpg
IMG_1921.jpg
IMG_1922.jpg