• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I have a confession (in praise of short carvy skis)

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
I have so much trouble on my 68 underfoot vs my 78 underfoot "carvy skis" on moguls, they hook up faster than I'm ready to. In powder or crud, my skis also feel stuck. I suppose I need to be more patient with my turns in these situations?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have so much trouble on my 68 underfoot vs my 78 underfoot "carvy skis" on moguls, they hook up faster than I'm ready to. In powder or crud, my skis also feel stuck. I suppose I need to be more patient with my turns in these situations?

Skillset development required.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
20230322_090755.jpg

20230322_092907.jpg

FIS FTW

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Takao Maruyama on 165-ish skiing a variety of speeds, turn shapes, and terrain.

Yup, damn good skier, and maybe I'm missing something, but why is he dragging the living daylights out of his uphill poles?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Turn shape is more important than speed.

And patience and not stiff legs and especially smoothness. I found by trial and error (mostly error) that crud and deeper slush/soft skied out stuff punishes sudden movements and jerks way more on fis sl skis. Super important that tails follow the tips or else you end up on your ass pronto.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah second @KingGrump and @Tony Storaro . Trying to mash skinny little skis in short turns in rough stuff is downright masochistic. Open up the turn shape, get some momentum and ride it out. Relax a little , engage later release earlier . it may not be the perfect tool for this job but learning how to adapt to varying conditions is a valuable skill. For the record, I prefer skinny skis but not in crud if I have the choice.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree that turn shape matters - a great deal (and the slope), but what those shapes look like are determined a lot by the speed you are going - or is it the other way around ?
Easy to bog down if you try to make too tight of a turn at slow speed in crud.
If your moving faster you can tighten it up a lot more.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Trying to mash skinny little skis in short turns in rough stuff is downright masochistic. Open up the turn shape, get some momentum and ride it out. Relax a little , engage later

Call me a masochist then Dan : )
One of my favorite sessions this year was going laps on an easy green run with a warming 4 inches of crud with the Pros in as deep and tight as they could go.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not everyone has 7 or 9 inches Francois :facepalm:
- That's why I got the Pros :ogbiggrin:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Call me a masochist then Dan : )
One of my favorite sessions this year was going laps on an easy green run with a warming 4 inches of crud with the Pros in as deep and tight as they could go.

I believe he refers to the short brushed turns that involve skidding. These are very exhausting both physically and mentally in crud and soft snow.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
And also as he explained, deeper crud. Like at Sunday River a couple of weeks ago. After two days I could barely walk.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree that turn shape matters - a great deal (and the slope), but what those shapes look like are determined a lot by the speed you are going - or is it the other way around ?
Easy to bog down if you try to make too tight of a turn at slow speed in crud.
If your moving faster you can tighten it up a lot more.

And also as he explained, deeper crud. Like at Sunday River a couple of weeks ago. After two days I could barely walk.

Skiing starts in the head. You gotta believe or it ain't gonna happen.

Mid May 2014. Flew my son out to SLC to join us at the Bird after school closed. He was 19 yr old, 5'/10", #185. Riding his usual all mountain ski - Atomic FIS SL 157.
18" f heavy crud dropped out of the sky. I was on a pair of Gotama (106) 186 cm. He ran me down. It's all in the skill set.

Sponsor