• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I need new ski pants!

Steve Martin

Booting up
Skier
I am looking to spend 150 or less I would like them to be vented. I think I prefer insulated with the caveat of having ventalation.

my top contenders right now is spider dare right around 150 from a local ish shop and Flylow cage pants for 125. The spiders are 2 layer goretex biut the Flylow,‘s have a great reputation. Any opinions on those or any other pants?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sierra Trading Post had a great deal on Helly Hanson ski pants. I love mine and they were inexpensive.

TS
S

Steve Martin

Booting up
Skier
Sold out for now only very low end pants. Do you have the legendary pants?

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Reminds me, need to sew my rear right pocket bottom where stitching came out. Was skiing when I barely noticed something dark dropped out of my pants onto the snow. Startled to see it was my most important wallet.. yikes! Felt the zipper still closed so wondered if I'd stuck it under my belt accidentally? Unzipped put it back in but moments later is laying back on the snow? Huh? Repeat same thing as cannot see back there. Finger feel the pocket and note the whole bottom stitching is gone. Columbia Omni-Heat pants. Still usable but am wondering about some more narrow width hard to find mogul specific pants for next season.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of it is fit and body type. Quality and price mean nothing if they're so tight you can't move freely, or so big you're stepping on the cuffs when you visit the can.

I am fairly slight. Spyder, Helly, OR, and Mountain Hardwear generally fit me okay. Patagonia is all over the map. Flylow and Arcteryx are always way too big on me. YMMV.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
A lot of it is fit and body type. Quality and price mean nothing if they're so tight you can't move freely, or so big you're stepping on the cuffs when you visit the can.

I am fairly slight. Spyder, Helly, OR, and Mountain Hardwear generally fit me okay. Patagonia is all over the map. Flylow and Arcteryx are always way too big on me. YMMV.
I agree about Patagonia, I ordered a pair of medium pants to match my medium jacket and they are huge. The jacket does fit a little loose but I would need my legs to grow several inches to fit the pants properly.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've been considering Armada Atmore pants. I'm going to look at a couple local shops to see what they have in stock later today.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm going to my LSS for their annual tent sale next October to get me whatever pants fit, are reasonably good quality and really reasonably priced.

I have Orage pants that are about 7 years old and the cuffs fill up with snow because of small tears from my ski edges. Otherwise they do the job...not so waterproof anymore. Not so water resistant either.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I find buying new snow pants to be about the hardest item to purchase in regards to skiing. Just not easy to find something that fits right and is in the price range.

Reactions: Ogg

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've been considering Armada Atmore pants. I'm going to look at a couple local shops to see what they have in stock later today.
Checked out some Armada Atlantis ski pants in Goretex. Very nice but $224 at EVO in Portland. They didn't have the Atmore in stock that I went to see. Might be some online deals in the 150 range.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Reminds me, need to sew my rear right pocket bottom where stitching came out. Was skiing when I barely noticed something dark dropped out of my pants onto the snow. Startled to see it was my most important wallet.. yikes! Felt the zipper still closed so wondered if I'd stuck it under my belt accidentally? Unzipped put it back in but moments later is laying back on the snow? Huh? Repeat same thing as cannot see back there. Finger feel the pocket and note the whole bottom stitching is gone. Columbia Omni-Heat pants. Still usable but am wondering about some more narrow width hard to find mogul specific pants for next season.
I've got 2 pair of the omni-heat I use for patrolling, I'll have to pay attention to the stitching since I carry alot of stuff in the pockets.. Thanks for the heads up.

James

Out There
Instructor
@Steve Martin is known for shoes. Not pants.

965FD30F-55A3-413B-B3CF-25BBFCB8DDE7.jpeg

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been EXTREMELY Happy with my Black Diamond Mission pants- I use 80% of the time. I also own a set of Trew Bibs and a Stio Soft-shell pant I use for spring. They are bigger than Arcteryx but smaller than Flylow in my general experience. Why do I like them?

1) Very durable
2) good venting
3) Zippers to access boot buckles and power strap- genius
4) Fit

The Trew bibs are great but I get hot in them. I take out the Stio soft shells when the low is above 30. So I pretty much use the bibs on deep days. They are also super well built, but I think less breathable than the BDs. Both are 100% waterproof- I've never gotten the least bit wet.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Checked out some Armada Atlantis ski pants in Goretex. Very nice but $224 at EVO in Portland. They didn't have the Atmore in stock that I went to see. Might be some online deals in the 150 range.
Bought some Armada Atmore stretch pants.
Retail at 225, paid 57.50 with free shipping.
These are lg, I usually wear a 33/34 in bluejeans. The length is pretty much perfect and the waist has a stretch strap inside the waistline to adust the waist. If I saw these in a shop for 60 bucks I would have bought them, but that's about it. They are not nearly as nice as the Armada goretex Atlantis but you get what you pay for. I got these at GearTrade.com with free UPS grd shipping.
Dog not included.

Attachments

• 20210414_140704.jpg
    20210414_140704.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 27

Sponsor

Staff online