• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I need new ski pants!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am looking to spend 150 or less I would like them to be vented. I think I prefer insulated with the caveat of having ventalation.
-
Here you go: $150 or less ✔️ Well vented ✔️ Well insulated
DSC02307-NAKED-SKI-FEATURE.jpg

...all the more reason ;)

Cols714

Booting up
Skier
Marmot Pro Tour softshell pants. Windproof, mostly waterproof (but not for rain). They have an athletic fit and vents.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So a little more than what you budgeted for, Jans had Arc'Teryx Sabre AR ski pants for $249. I picked up a pair a few weeks back. Not super insulated (light fleece lining) but pretty much bullet proof with regard to everything else.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have a pair of pants by Eddie Bauer that are more like a shell but I have never been cold in them. They keep me very dry and no problems to date.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
a little more than your budget but might look at the closeout's at Strafe. I now have two pairs and they are by far my favorite. I have never owned pants so comfortable.

TS
S

Steve Martin

Booting up
Skier
So I ended up in Arc'Teryx Sabre LT ski pants, i had been doing some consulting and was talking about skiing, i mentioned wanting new ski pants, my colleague starting asking questions, i didn't think anything about it until my wife called at work asking why i bought new ski pants lol.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of different flavors of tasteless.

1623184049957.png
1623184074007.png
1623184089926.png
1623184113578.png

Chris Johnson

Booting up
Skier
I have been EXTREMELY Happy with my Black Diamond Mission pants- I use 80% of the time. I also own a set of Trew Bibs and a Stio Soft-shell pant I use for spring. They are bigger than Arcteryx but smaller than Flylow in my general experience. Why do I like them?

1) Very durable
2) good venting
3) Zippers to access boot buckles and power strap- genius
4) Fit

The Trew bibs are great but I get hot in them. I take out the Stio soft shells when the low is above 30. So I pretty much use the bibs on deep days. They are also super well built, but I think less breathable than the BDs. Both are 100% waterproof- I've never gotten the least bit wet.
Can you share sizing on the BD pants? I've been putting off new pants for a year now. I really like the FlyLow Compound pants (full length side vents, super durable, no insulation) for backcountry and personal inbounds days, but I'm 6'2", 175lbs, so pretty tall and relatively thin. The FlyLows were quite baggy around the legs, even more so than my North Face patrol pants. I've heard good things about the Missions and they seem to tick the vent box, but how is the circumference of the leg tubes? That's where I keep having issues.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you share sizing on the BD pants? I've been putting off new pants for a year now. I really like the FlyLow Compound pants (full length side vents, super durable, no insulation) for backcountry and personal inbounds days, but I'm 6'2", 175lbs, so pretty tall and relatively thin. The FlyLows were quite baggy around the legs, even more so than my North Face patrol pants. I've heard good things about the Missions and they seem to tick the vent box, but how is the circumference of the leg tubes? That's where I keep having issues.

PSA: If u like Flylow….they having a good sale right now…

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have Orage pants that are about 7 years old and the cuffs fill up with snow because of small tears from my ski edges. Otherwise they do the job...not so waterproof anymore. Not so water resistant either.
It's a good time to inspect and repair your cuffs now. I patch mine because those little holes you mention can--and will, eventually--snag the ski brake on the opposite ski! If that happens you can be in for a world of hurt.
A stitch in time, and all that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
BD Missions are really well made. I just picked up a Mission Jacket for this season. pretty much the same material on the Arc Teryx Sabre jackets (3L Gore tex C-Knit backer, lite micro fleece, 70D weight). . the material is more stiff but not crinkly. However, for the price, BD is hard to beat. I think the Mission jacket is on the same level of quality as ArcTeryx however, I like the Mission jacket's design better so I assume the pants are of the same quality. they are a free ride cut which I really like. Not super snowboard baggy but allows layering and excellent freedom of movement. I like the extra high collar too.

I would look at a pair of uninsulated pants (shells), then pickup a couple different layering pieces. I have 3 different weights of base layers ranging from a 150 wool to a heavier, mid-weight and then a full on insulated Mountain Hardware Compressor pant for those days where it never get out of the single digits, snowing all day and the skiing' prime. https://www.moosejaw.com/product/mountain-hardwear-men-s-compressor-pant_10451753. Most insulated pants have 40grams of basic thinsulate or similar, but understand that all insulation is not the same. Most is not breathable and depending on the type used, will compress which makes it much less effective. Having layers will allow you do adjust to the environment.

I am a big fan of the Arc'Sabres, Stio Objective Pro and Flylow Compound (and chemical for that matter) the new eVent DV material and new Gore Pro materials are superb. Tough but very breathable. I just picked up Flylow's new Compound Bibs (2021/2) are my new favorites due to the half-bib configuration (you can also zip-off the upper portion) paired with the eVent DV expedition fabric is ideal. Super tough and highly breathable and windproof/waterproof. I dont think they are too baggy, I want them to allow plenty of movement.

BD Mission Jacket and new Flylow Compound bibs ( and of course,Giro helmet and goggles).

4BB85CC8-1B86-4B72-B6F7-89A307C08E2E_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BC.

Sponsor

Staff online