• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

Thanks, beat me to it. We had a lot of Marcus conversation a year or so ago. Might be very interesting to some.
Marcus was an exceptional ski racer. He also grew up, pretty much ON Snowbird. So he blends all that free skiing experience with rock solid fundamentals. He was a U Utah, when he concluded that he loved skiing more than ever, but didn’t want to race at that level anymore. Wasn’t fun as relayed to me.
I could watch him ski all day long. Fun. He just makes it fun!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
He comes to the Warren Miller showings in Utah and signs posters. My daughter has two of them hanging on her wall.
He's SO fun to watch ski. The "Return of the Turn" series is a blast to watch. Hope there are more on the way!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I have a photographer friend who is with him in Engelberg, Switzerland right now, so bound to be some new stuff coming out soon.

I think he told me that they will also be filming WC skier Matthias Hargin.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
He comes to the Warren Miller showings in Utah and signs posters. My daughter has two of them hanging on her wall.
He's SO fun to watch ski. The "Return of the Turn" series is a blast to watch. Hope there are more on the way!

I’ve had the same experience. We were among the first people to get into the Ogden screening a couple of years ago and Marcus spent a couple of minutes talking to my kid in a real cool, genuine way. The poster that he signed for him is still hanging in his room. Great guy in addition to being an awesome skier.

His “Return of the Turn” shorts get a skiing Oscar from me for best short subjects in the last few years.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
What I love about his skiing is that he’s not doing anything that any good skier does, except he does it at a higher level. No back flips off cliffs. No downhill jumps at 90 km/hr. No stivots. Just plain good skiing.

Ok, I saw some turns on the inside ski. But who doesn’t do that once in a while for the fun of it

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
There was some discussion in the past regarding his ski technique. His response (which I like a lot):

Alright Alright I'll bite! You are absolutely correct in that I'm not skiing bumps at the "highest level" and I will never claim to be. But here's where you and PSIA are absolutely missing the point. As opposed to competition racing or bump skiing free skiing is about personal expression, not being efficient 100% of the time. I personally enjoy playing with momentum and the forces you can create. I like to break traditional rules at one point or another in the turn to get rebound or juice the tails into the air or tweak the outside ski in front of me. All these moves are rooted in basic fundamentals then tweaking them. It's not efficient, you can't get away with it all the time, nor would it win any competitions, but it's a little style I like to add. It's important to know the rules and it's important to know how to break them. I would like to see ski instruction go further in teaching fundamentals+. That said i'm not technically perfect and am always thinking about things in my skiing. Here's a video from years ago going slow and working on a little more flow and fundamental skiing, still not amazing bump skiing by any means always plenty to work on!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There was some discussion in the past regarding his ski technique. His response (which I like a lot):
Says a lot about the guy, who clearly embodies why so many of us ski. Speaking from my own personal experience, the quest for perfection can really ruin what should be a fun day on the hill.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
This edit made "Church" my default ski-stoke, first-run-raging song for the last two years. As someone who's spirituality is mostly found in the meditative moments of skiing, backpacking, or mtbing...it really resonated with me.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
No downhill jumps at 90 km/hr.

Watch more his edits. He does these too. Along with stivots. He brings whatever technique he needs to rip whatever terrain is in front of him.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I’m going to go out on a limb that I think MANY on here would like to be on, but are hesitant to to do. Hesitant to speak out “against” any other group of skiers.

I have been around the sport for over 60 years. Both of my parents were accomplished ski racers, as was my older brother. I know a lot of former racers, USST on down and NONE bring Marcus’ smile and personal expression to the table when it comes to their later free skiing careers.

At the same time I REALLY struggle with the group of “technical skiers”, some on here, some very visible on other forums. Some prolific on YouTube, etc. I can here every one of them being critical of Marcus’ skiing....wanting to “do MA” on it. Looking at where his every movement is wrong. Blah. Blah. Blah.

I know some real high level coaches and athletes who ski with Marcus. Marcus does not try to influence a thing. He strives to ski as he wants and enjoy it. The “vibe” at his summer camp, Party Beach Camps, is very much about fun and personal expression.

This past summer a young friend was coaching two WC athletes. One on one with each. In both cases, he had a couple of the biggest “names” in technical skiing sticking their noses into things. Both had skied a bit with these athletes when they were very young, like under 10.

The coach had to deprogram both athletes. They were skiing like perfect little robots after three days....and slow as hell. A week plus later, they were back to where they were before the techies. Having wasted two weeks on snow!

We discussed how that group, and the Dalai Lama of them all think they have all the answers. ALL OF THEM, when it comes to skiing the BEST.

I say, B.S. If I were back parenting younget ski racers, with a goal of being great life long skiers, anywhere on anything, THERE IS NOBODY who I would want them to be emulating as skier more than Marcus.

He’s also a very good guy. A very good person. From a really solid family.

Love to see his growing commercial success as people really admire and enjoy his skiing.

And for those who hate the 187cm Bonafide, we can have another conversation, HaHa. He would like a few pairs of 193cm pressed, I hear!

Marcus can anything. But he is also a very sound risk manager. Awesome.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January