• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ibis: State of the State, or, this is getting out of hand

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
OK, don't cry for me too much. Ordered a Ripmo back on Nov 14, 2020. Full Carbon Spec, XT gruppo with DVO Suspension, fork and rear coil upgrade (Jade Coil). Original ETA from LBS was "July or August" and, knowing how the bike market was then, had been, and might continue, I went for that. Called bike shop last week got a firm August 15th, OK, I can deal, hot as he!! here anyway in summer so I'll ride the trusty old Turner.

Well, seems like we're getting worse: https://www.ibiscycles.com/news/the-state-of-the-state

Now what I'll likely receive should I choose to take delivery (which isn't really a choice mind you, had to put down $500 non-refundable deposit to even get on the "list") the new, mandatory spec will be $900 more. Over 10% price increase, granted, with a "higher" Fox suspension spec than DVO. Grrrrr.

I haven't tracked it at all but wondering if these Covid related supply chain issues are hitting Ski gear. Guess we're about to find out.

Last edited:
TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I mean.,.. It's typical. BMC said I couldn't get my bike until 2022. Price raise sucks but the alternative is tough too...
I know - I'm torn - hard to keep FUD, pre-buyer's remorse (is that a thing? Is now!) from creeping in. Hey I can eat the 10+% price increase and lack of sizing on post, stem, take the Fox Pro upgrades over preferred DVO - but this is kinda (ok, IS) sucking the joy out of new bike day. Which remains deferred for a long a$$ time. You'd think there'd be no compromises on the one big time bike purchase of a lifetime (for me at least) but, nah. Just venting. I'll take the bike at that price whenever they can get to me, and I will like it!!! :ogbiggrin::cool:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO with the price increase you should have the option of getting your deposit black if you choose. It’s not like they willl have difficulty finding another buyer

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
IMHO with the price increase you should have the option of getting your deposit black if you choose. It’s not like they willl have difficulty finding another buyer
100% agreed Phil - going to call LBS again and just chat about options. At this price point, *normally* (and we know ain't nothing normal about these times) I'd have them just get me a frameset and build 100% custom. But, considering all the supply issues - I don't think that is even possible either.

Also now in my head: opportunity cost. The outlay on this bike would be a whole lotta skiing . . . :rolleyes:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last week I put half down (refundable) on a mountain bike that I was told was coming in 6/22. Got a call yesterday that I am first on the list for a bike that came in yesterday (no idea whether the person who reserved that one cancelled or ?) and they hope to have built by 5/21. I leave for Oregon on 5/22. It’s still pretty basic but will be an upgrade from my current bike. Hoping it fits.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
If you're taking that new bike tell the shop. Make sure they do a proper road test. You don't want something silly failing one day out of the shop. And don't be upset if they actually rice your bike.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I haven't tracked it at all but wondering if these Covid related supply chain issues are hitting Ski gear. Guess we're about to find out.
I don't really get this thing. I completely understand lack of bikes last spring/summer. Everyone and their dogs started cycling during pandemic, so all bikes were sold. Fine, I totally understand this. Same thing happened with ski touring gear this winter. Also totally understandable.
But what I really can't understand is why year and something after start of pandemic, when most of business is going on as usual, there's still no supply. For bikes I understand. They simply don't have components. But for Shimano and to some extend Sram (for which I personally don't care at all, as I don't want their crap anywhere near my bike), I simply can't find reason, why they are not able to produce enough components. And it's not that they would need to produce 150% more then normally. They can't produce not even 50% of their usual stuff, and that's what I can't get it. Sure it might be reason to walk prices higher, but what it helps if your gear is 100 or 300% more expensive if there's none that someone can buy it?
Luckily I put my new bike together last autumn, and with some luck I managed to locate missing 12sp shifter and get it, but I really hate to think that I would need some spare part this summer, as anything what I look (from shifters, to derailleurs, brake disc, or cassettes), delivery date is somewhere in middle to end of summer... at best!
As for ski gear goes, I'm sure groomer/alpine skis and gear might be tricky, as sale was almost non-existing in Europe this winter, so companies are bit careful what to do for next winter, as noone wants to be in same position as Atomic was on end of this winter, when they were taking millions of unsold pairs back to destroy them, as they unfortunately presented new colors for 2021/22 winter already, and noone will be buying "old" 2020/21 skis anymore once new ones are out.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're taking that new bike tell the shop. Make sure they do a proper road test. You don't want something silly failing one day out of the shop. And don't be upset if they actually rice your bike.

They know but what do you mean by “rice your bike”? Also, the campground we’ll be at will probably have more bike mechanics and experts than are at the shop should there be an issue.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
They know but what do you mean by “rice your bike”? Also, the campground we’ll be at will probably have more bike mechanics and experts than are at the shop should there be an issue.

I'm betting that's an autocorrect and should be 'ride'.

Mechs around your destination are nice to have but you don't want to rely on them to replace spec parts. Especially when they are just as subject to parts dearth as your LBS is.

And it's not that they would need to produce 150% more then normally. They can't produce not even 50% of their usual stuff, and that's what I can't get it. Sure it might be reason to walk prices higher, but what it helps if your gear is 100 or 300% more expensive if there's none that someone can buy it?

Remember the Cadillac Allante? The one with so many supply chain problems that it wound up being too hilariously overpriced? Yeh, that one. I'll bet you all the smart young MBAs with sexy spreadsheets laughed and laughed at that one in their linear programming classes. And learned absolutely nothing from it, 'coz it's the same problem. Only magnified.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm betting that's an autocorrect and should be 'ride'.

Mechs around your destination are nice to have but you don't want to rely on them to replace spec parts. Especially when they are just as subject to parts dearth as your LBS is.

Clearly I needed coffee but in my defense I would expect them to ride my bike. Heck, when I thought mine was going to be the one coming in June I asked if I might be able to at least stand over, maybe ride, the one coming in May to test the bike. The way I look at it, in normal times, there is a strong likelihood that any bike I try to buy off the floor has been test ridden by multiple other people. I told them that if there is any chance they can have it ready earlier I’d appreciate it but if they don’t I’ll at least swing by the local bike park for some laps on my way home. If it shows issues I can drop it back off and they can deal with it while I’m gone and I’ll take the old bike.

scott43

Skier
Typically we didn't really road test new bikes. Partly because owners don't like dirty tires. Seriously. So I'd tell them in advance to give it a run and see if it's all good.. just in case. Suck to be someplace with no parts to fix it.

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
I ordered an Orbea last March, they kept pushing back the ETA for a year and then eventually just stopped giving one. But they grandfathered me into pre-covid pricing and the bike shop gave me another discount, so basically I'm saving $1k off the bat. This also isn't a high-end bike by any means so I assume it's far down the list.

Even with the crazy market, I still could have build up a nice bike from used parts by now. Ah well...

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also, everyone make sure to support your local/independent bike shop! I called a few to see if they ever got their hands on a Ibis Ripley AF when they came out, and I guess most manufacturers now are completely skipping over small shops and just dealing with the big ones.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Primoz you are right. At this point some of the supply chain has caught up. What has happened is that some of the big brands are buying excess supply and stockpiling it in order to crush smaller brands. The same is happening with factory time to build frames.

Second time I've heard this theory from somebody involved in the bike biz. I hope it's wrong, but after the past year, the big brands are REALLY flush with cash, and could easily implement this strategy.

But damn, let it be wrong.......

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
The shop I work in carries three "smalll" brands, Ibis, Yeti and Evil and one big brand. We pretty much only have bikes from the big brand, one of the alleged hoarders. Our other brands bikes have been pushed back months to even a year on bikes that were ordered over the winter. People will now be getting them next summer. Yeti no longer even has ETAs. We are waiting for bikes that were supposed to be delivered in March and have no idea when we will get them. I'm going to go a ahead and order a bike for next summer. I might even order two or three because I'm doubtful that they will be delivered and I can just flip one if I end up with two. I hope these smaller brands can survive, some won't.

Sponsor

Staff online