• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ibis: State of the State, or, this is getting out of hand

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So ... Who is getting XPLR and when?
#monmochips

I have Shimano Faux XPLOR 11-speed on my Checkpoint gravel bike.

11-40 XTR cassette, XTR derailleur, Wolftooth Tanpan, a few extra links of chain, and BAM!

Tanpan is a helical ? pulley that changes the cable pull of a road shifter to that needed for an mtb derailleur.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will be getting a set of the new XPLR stuff, but since winter is closing in I'm not in too much of a hurry to assemble everything. I've got a right hand Rival AXS shifter on the way for me, but haven't been able to get the left hand shifter yet. Local shop is going to get me the 10-44 Force cassette and the Rival level derailleur over the winter, Novemberish and Octoberish. I would love to get the powermeter cranks, but for $85 I can get a 12s compatible Wolftooth chainring for the GRX cranks I have.

I really enjoy the 1x GRX set I have but I've found the limits of the 42 11-40 gearing on it this summer. Need just a touch more higher end without sacrificing the low. I think running 44 chainring with the 10-44 will be what I'm looking for, and I'm excited for the 10,11,13 tooth jumps instead of the 11,13,15 for when I ride with our weekly shop ride. My existing GRX stuff is going to go replace the 105/ultegra RX/FSA/Wolftooth/ 11-36 weirdness I've put together on my commuter bike. It'll be a gooood upgrade, mostly looking forward to upgrading the brakes from cables to hydraulic on that bike..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I previously lived in an area where I regularly used my 34 x 40 combo, even if only for short-ish stretches of time. Our current locale seems to have less steep forest roads, and I suspect the 33 x 36 combo I have on my road bike would be adequate, though still requiring a 2x front system.

I've got a new Checkpoint in the planning/waiting stages right now, and I suspect it will have one of the newer 1x gravel drivetrains.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a Norco Optic C1 this week. Fun bike, I've only had it out once. It's over 90° in Maine.

20210811_102951.jpg
20210811_103025.jpg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This might sound weird, but I'm kinda thinking this new SRAM set is basically a monstergravel bike in search of a not-too-gacked 2011-2015 hardtail frame.

I was thinking something similar, TBH.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Update. Welp, Aug 15th has come and gone. Still no bike. Talked to LBS today - their list now says "Oct 1st" for frame availability - he's calling/emailing Ibis for a more concrete update. Thinks Oct 1st is just frame avail and will all depend on original parts spec, I'm a shimano guy and that has meant extra time.

So we're getting close to the possibility of 1 year. Surreal. Update when I know more.

Meanwhile already mentally transitioning to ski season even though MTBing is just getting good here in the Carolinas - finally cooling off, low dewpoints, and we can legit bike into late Fall in the mountains, and pretty much all year down here in the piedmont.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Well, the Ripmo finally arrived at the shop yesterday, they called last week to let me know they had a tracking #.

Not what I originally ordered, of course. I had ordered full carbon (Ibis carbon hoops, I9 Hydra hubs) w/ DVO coil and fork in XT kit - I got aluminum wheels, base hubs, Fox factory shock & fork - and SLX. I mean beggars can't be choosers, right? <grumble> on a @#$% top line full carbon MTB for cryin' out loud </grumble> but hey, it's OK - bike is here just in time for ski season. Le sigh. :huh: :doh:

They're working w/ me on a wheel trade in/upgrade trying to keep it similar cost as OEM, we'll see what they can turn up.

I wish I was excited. I'm not. Over it and not stoked about the massive cash outlay (which, I knew I was getting into - still though, way too much time to second guess the decision). The wait killed the joy. Maybe when I see it . . .

Joel

Having fun
Skier
It's been a while since I've been here. After reading this thread I sure am glad I built my HD5 and bought my Farley 5 when I did. Fortunately I am very happy with both of them and feel no need for anything new.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's been a while since I've been here. After reading this thread I sure am glad I built my HD5 and bought my Farley 5 when I did. Fortunately I am very happy with both of them and feel no need for anything new.
Yep. I sold a Ripmo frame in late October 2021 when the dry season was shutting down around Seattle. Figured I'd be able to find a replacement full sus frameset by late spring. Nope, not even close. So heavy rowdy hardtail summer for me. I'm philosophical - I have a functional hardtail bike and can ride it pretty much wherever, so at least I'll be able to get outside, get some exercise, have some fun.

But man is the supply chain shortage worse than I imagined ....

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
The hits just keep on coming: https://www.ibiscycles.com/news/supply-chain-pains-continued

As it turns out, my gut was right and my XL was just too danged big. I bought a L from my LBS - stock is slowly starting to return. May 1st per above updated article they're adding a $100 shipping surcharge (on top of price increases already baked in, and limiting spec options for streamlining).

Which means I've an XL for sale, crazy, I know - but if anyone here is interested I'd be willing to pack it up and ship it, just let me know.
$6600 firm; save the taxes and May 1st price increase?
SLX build w/ the Fox 38 - the new spec, 2022. More pics on request but it's the bike shown a couple posts up except it has stock Ibis alum wheelset.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The hits just keep on coming: https://www.ibiscycles.com/news/supply-chain-pains-continued

As it turns out, my gut was right and my XL was just too danged big. I bought a L from my LBS - stock is slowly starting to return. May 1st per above updated article they're adding a $100 shipping surcharge (on top of price increases already baked in, and limiting spec options for streamlining).

Which means I've an XL for sale, crazy, I know - but if anyone here is interested I'd be willing to pack it up and ship it, just let me know.
$6600 firm; save the taxes and May 1st price increase?
SLX build w/ the Fox 38 - the new spec, 2022. More pics on request but it's the bike shown a couple posts up except it has stock Ibis alum wheelset.
I guess you have made up your mind, but enduros are big. Takes some getting used to but xl can be fast. They are a blast on big hills. Like a 187 ski verse 184.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I guess you have made up your mind, but enduros are big. Takes some getting used to but xl can be fast. They are a blast on big hills. Like a 187 ski verse 184.
Yes I did - and I get the BIGness of Enduro is a thing - for me though the L is PLENTY big - it's so much bigger than my mid-travel 2014 Turner it's laughable side by side, and going up from 27.5-29 also huge. I bomb our local "steeps" in Western NC on the Turner - this should be a massive upgrade for me! Trust me, the bike and size aren't the limitation on my speed :cool:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
it's so much bigger than my mid-travel 2014 Turner it's laughable side by side, and going up from 27.5-29 also huge. I bomb our local "steeps" in Western NC on the Turner - this should be a massive upgrade for me! Trust me, the bike and size aren't the limitation on my speed :cool:

Heh. @Tom K. recently posted a Turner that was so much bigger than their previous bikes that I nearly put my jaw out all over again.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Heh. @Tom K. recently posted a Turner that was so much bigger than their previous bikes that I nearly put my jaw out all over again.

Yes I saw those - drool worthy and I'm glad to see Turner still in the game.

Sponsor

Staff online