• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Idaho and Montana Christmas Trip - Help Planning

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are taking our kids out west to ski over the Christmas holiday. We are Indy Pass holders so were planning on making a loop and skiing Soldier Mountain, Lost Trail Powder Mountain, and Tamarack. Due to blackout dates we arent skiing Brundage.

I know its early and much could change but I'm getting worried about available terrain to ski at Solider. I can't seem to make any other Indy Pass areas work that would make me feel more show sure.

As such I'm thinking of switching out Soldier for Discovery Ski Area. I'm thinking they might receive, or make, more snow and provide a better experience that early in the season? Does anyone have any thoughts on doing so? I hate to buy lift tickets when we have indy passes but would hate not having snow to ski on even more!

We can wait a bit longer to decide but can't hold off too long as we of course need to secure lodging in advance.

Thank you for your insight!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If snow is scarce between Pow Mow and Soldier take a look at Pomerelle. Yes you would buy tickets but they are pretty cheap; a couple of years ago a senior weekend was $25. It is in a snow trap like the Cottonwood Canyons. Near Burley so makes 2 shorter drive.
Soldier also has a long history of thin snow cover, but when it is good it is well worth a day.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Too bad about Brundage and holiday blackouts, I don’t think they did that last year. I know of a family that spent the week in McCall and had a great time at Brundage and Tamarack, certainly saves a lot of driving to be able to stay in one town.

Based on the places you mentioned, I’m guessing you’re flying in and out of Boise, is that right? If so, I’d agree with @Bad Bob that Pomerelle (also on the Indy Pass) is a good alternative to Soldier, depending on which of them has more snow.

It seems like you’re trying to decide between Soldier (or Pomerelle) and Discovery, depending on which location is getting more snow. I may be wrong but I think Discovery probably gets more annual snowfall than Soldier. Lost Trail is pretty reliable. I don’t know if any of them has snowmaking. Are you needing to lock in accommodations now? I’d hold off on making decision until a couple of weeks into December.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
If snow is scarce between Pow Mow and Soldier take a look at Pomerelle. Yes you would buy tickets but they are pretty cheap; a couple of years ago a senior weekend was $25. It is in a snow trap like the Cottonwood Canyons. Near Burley so makes 2 shorter drive.
Soldier also has a long history of thin snow cover, but when it is good it is well worth a day.
I believe the locals call it a snowhole. ogwink

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Thank you all for your thoughts. You are correct we are flying into Boise on the 26th. Leave the 4th of January.

Sounds like potentially moving away from Soldier would be a good idea. Pomerelle is on the indy pass as well so we have two days free there. That's obviously a bonus!

Our lodging doesn't have to be booked now, I just get nervous not having it lined up.

If anyone else had thoughts on the skiing (not snlw) at discovery vs pomerelle I'd be interested in your thoughts. Discovery certainly looks much bigger.

Thanks all!

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just seeing this. Yes - as stated above - bummer on Brundage - grew up skiing there - great mountain and super fun.

I agree with @Bad Bob on Pomerelle over Soldier. Discovery is bigger and does get more annual snow fall. I have not been in a while but just asked a buddy who is in that area and will report back what he shares.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I've skied both Soldier and Pomerelle over the last 30 years. I'd go with Pomerelle over Soldier, although they are both very flat mountains. Both have very brief sections (Pom - the Bowl, and Soldier - Braveheart) of black diamond terrain. My sons were going to ski Pomerelle this Thanksgiving, but got skunked by no snow. Neither hill is open yet, but Pomerelle has better chances in a storm over Soldier. I've stayed overnight in Albion, near Pom, but never overnight in Fairfield. They are both very small towns, even for Idaho. I'm not sure what the status of Soldier's ownership is currently, but Pom has been far more stable in that regard.

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Thank you everyone for your responses, they've been extremely helpful!

We've changed our plans to go to pomerelle vs soldier and are planning to stay in Burley.

My wife will like the flat terrain, the rest of us will just enjoy being on skis (fingers crossed for snow)!

Thanks again!

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
I've been checking forecasts frequently as our trip is now just a few weeks away!

I see the major snow this weekend is forecast to hit soldier but not make it to pomerelle. Given the base building that will hopefully occur at Soldier from this I'm thinking it may be better to steer back to soldier than pomerelle?

Obviously things can change but 2-3 feet this weekend should surely carry ski areas through the Christmas break for groomed terrain I'd think?

Thanks everyone!

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've never skied Soldier, but most western ski areas will need more than a single 2-3' snow to open much of anything. If the snow keeps up through the next couple weeks, you should be fine. But for now I'd say it's still a gamble.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A feature that works in your favor is their small size. You can wait till the actual last day to make your choice. Reservations are not required. You could stay in Twin Falls and ski one one day and the other one the next day. These are neighborhood ski areas.

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Given the difference in the forecasts we're choosing Soldier over Pomerelle. Can't wait!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211219-081251_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211219-081251_Chrome.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 5