• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ideas to Keep Portable Tuning Table Stable

TS
Snuckerpooks

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is it?

Obviously not now. ;)

Sounds a bit like you outgrew it. This is why there are different tables at different price points. Time to step up to a new table that is bigger and stronger. the name of the table is the the Portable Tuning Table. Might be time to stup up. https://tokous.com/workbench-110x50cm/
Yeah, as my tuning has improved, I'm beginning to see the faults of what used to be OK in the past. Will definitely need to step up some time but a Japanese apartment is pretty small. My bench can only be so big before I don't have a place to store it in summer.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have dumbells they can be stored wedged somehow near the bottom of the bench.

My bench is an old cabinet sewing machine. Originally I removed the sewing machine itself but then I put it back on one of the crossbars neer the feet.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, as my tuning has improved, I'm beginning to see the faults of what used to be OK in the past. Will definitely need to step up some time but a Japanese apartment is pretty small. My bench can only be so big before I don't have a place to store it in summer.
Understood, that is why the Holmenkol is a good option. It is professional quality (and stability) but will not take up significantly more space or storage space than your current table. Spendy, but worthwhile

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
... a Japanese apartment is pretty small. My bench can only be so big before I don't have a place to store it in summer.
I live in an apartment but I've found a folding table takes too long to set up. I sharpen the side edges almost every day on this outdoor fixture:
IMG_0618.jpg

I have another portable bench for base work but I don't need to use it very often.
If I didn't have the outside deck I would get something like this:
That's spendy but it looks to me like it works way better than a folding table +vises. Sitting on the floor working with a low bench is a Japanese tradition, right?
japan woodwork.jpg

dm

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've only had stability issues with tuning when scraping the wax.. Most of the other operations aren't causing stuff to rattle around bounce, etc. So I just take my skis outside, prop the tips wedged in to a corner of the porch or deck, then scrape away.. Much easier than someplace else not solidly weighted down or otherwise rickety.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have dumbells they can be stored wedged somehow near the bottom of the bench.

REALLY good idea, and costs nothing to try.

Even tied to a short rope or Thule tie down strap or Voile strap and suspended from the crossbars.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mr grippy works surpsingly well. I use mine for mounting, warm waxing, quick edgework etc. stuff I dont bother going downstairs and using proper bench/vise for.

1642430788614.png

Sponsor