• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Identify the Outback

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Too bad the Outback has gotten some embiggening potion and is now too big to consider for street parking in an urban area.

Also: #Team3Pedals4EVA

Looking at a 6-speed MT Crosstrek for me. Can't be choosy on the color, sadly, but needs must - and with winter beckoning the old A4 Quattro needs to be sent to pasture.

Hi Rudi, I have a 22 manual Crosstrek Premium and it is a bit underpowered but good enough and fun to drive sporty. 23 in town and 34+- on highway. Just threw on Wildpeak AT3W...first snowish tire in 57 years of skiing. Moving to Taos. I have had a bunch of fun cars and have to say I am totally satisfied. MSRP 25,700. Cheapest manual awd made.The base model has black mirrors and no heated seats for around 24,500.
IMG20221013124418.jpg

IMG20220510112719.jpg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I hear you 100% on the same page there, but, can you deal with Xtreks handling, (body roll etc)? I don't think I could.

I test drove both (the Outback obviously in a CVT config) and the Crosstrek was a lot more fun to drive. It reminded me of my old 1996 Legacy L sedan, which is roughly the same size and GVW as the current Crosstrek. No worries there.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Rudi, I have a 22 manual Crosstrek Premium and it is a bit underpowered but good enough and fun to drive sporty. 23 in town and 34+- on highway. Just threw on Wildpeak AT3W...first snowish tire in 57 years of skiing. Moving to Taos. I have had a bunch of fun cars and have to say I am totally satisfied. MSRP 25,700. Cheapest manual awd made.The base model has black mirrors and no heated seats for around 24,500.

Nice!

I'm not looking for sporty - I get enough of that from my bicycles and my skiing. I'm simply looking for dependable and fuel efficient AWD transportation and the Crosstrek fits the bill nicely.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a 2019 Outback and it is just right for my use. I like the looks of the XTrek but there is just not enough cargo space for me. I carry dogs, skis, sometimes my mountain bike in the back and need the space. I can’t use a cargo box on top since it won’t fit in my garage.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a 2019 Outback and it is just right for my use. I like the looks of the XTrek but there is just not enough cargo space for me. I carry dogs, skis, sometimes my mountain bike in the back and need the space. I can’t use a cargo box on top since it won’t fit in my garage.

No dogs (and no plans for a dog, no offense to the doggo crew here at SkiTalk).

Bikes and such go on the roof, and I have a nice roof box.

And no garage in my foreseeable future, so street parking is the reality.

Both the Impreza and Crosstrek tick the boxes. The Crosstrek was simply what was available in a MT config and a 5-door right now.

Cheers to Subies!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Compared to an Outback?:huh:
When I went to test drive, after whipping around an imprezme the dealer told me I wouldn't like the Outback handling, try the Forester with its shorter wheelbase than Outb. Forester had much to much body roll. They didn't have a Xtrek available for test drive or so he said. WRX was decent but I also thought the manual trans a little cheep feeling and don't want the crappy MPG

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Before my 2021 Crosstrek, I had a 5 speed manual Impreza. I think a 2018. The Crostrek accelerates much better. I don't remember stats for sure, but I think they have the same engine. Must be the gear ratios.

I wanted the additional ground clearance, but I was worried the added height would make if feel roll-y in tight corners. I made sure to include the only local tight S-curve I know of in my test drive. It felt great.

[Your impressions (general you, not specifically Rudi) may differ. I am used to driving "underpowered" cars and I do not find it oppressive to plan a clear acceleration zone when getting on the freeway. When I've had big-engined rental cars, I found it amusing the first day and unnecessary after that.]

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Before my 2021 Crosstrek, I had a 5 speed manual Impreza. I think a 2018. The Crostrek accelerates much better. I don't remember stats for sure, but I think they have the same engine. Must be the gear ratios.

I wanted the additional ground clearance, but I was worried the added height would make if feel roll-y in tight corners. I made sure to include the only local tight S-curve I know of in my test drive. It felt great.

[Your impressions (general you, not specifically Rudi) may differ. I am used to driving "underpowered" cars and I do not find it oppressive to plan a clear acceleration zone when getting on the freeway. When I've had big-engined rental cars, I found it amusing the first day and unnecessary after that.]
optional 182-hp 2.5L four from Forester should help a bit with pickup for merging and such

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Love my 2011 Outback 3.6r Limited!
It is the ideal sled for steep passes, winter roads, and icy parking lots.
Every time I think about replacing it with something newer and more German I ask myself, ”Why?”

Sponsor

Staff online