• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Will Dear Valley ever allow snowboarding?

• Never

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • This coming season 17-18

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • The following season 18-19

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • At some point after 2019

Votes: 18 31.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
No they aren't. They are two different things. Two different skill sets, two completely different ways of getting down the mountain. The only thing similar is that you get down the same hill and even that can have its differences as to just how its done and where its done. They are not at all the same sport imo. That's not to suggest either being any wrong or right but only to say they are entirely two different things other than being on/in many the same places..

In the sport of rowing (my former passion), there are two disciplines.

There is "sweeping" where the athlete has one oar. To take a stroke the athlete pulls from the side.

There is "sculling" where the athlete has two oars. To take a stroke the athlete pulls from the center facing forward.

In either discipline, the athletes are in the same lanes on the same courses. There are many sweepers who can not scull and there are many scullers that can not sweep.

Similarly,
There is "snowboarding" where the athlete has one plank. To slide down the hill the athlete stands from the side.

Then there is skiing where the athlete has two planks. To slide down the hill the athlete stands to the center facing forward.

In skiing and snowboarding, the athletes are ride the same lifts on the same hills. Some skiers cannot snowboard and some snowboarders cannot ski. However, like in rowing, they are the same sport.

:D

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier

There is "sweeping" where the athlete has one oar. To take a stroke the athlete pulls from the side.

There is "sculling" where the athlete has two oars. To take a stroke the athlete pulls from the center facing forward.

In either discipline, the athletes are in the same lanes on the same courses. There are many sweepers who can not scull and there are many scullers that can not sweep.

Similarly,
There is "snowboarding" where the athlete has one plank. To slide down the hill the athlete stands from the side.

Then there is skiing where the athlete has two planks. To slide down the hill the athlete stands to the center facing forward.

In skiing and snowboarding, the athletes are ride the same lifts on the same hills. Some skiers cannot snowboard and some snowboarders cannot ski. However, like in rowing, they are the same sport.

In your opinion they are the same. And we'll have to agree to disagree
Rowing a boat one paddle is rowing a boat and rowing a boat two paddle is still rowing a boat.
But snowboarding is not skiing and imo is not that kind of same apples to apples. Just because they both go down a mountain is of little relevance imo. That doesn't make it the same at all. It only means they share the same snow. That's the end of any similarity between the two different sports, or arts, or recreations, or whatever we want call them.

James

Out There
Instructor

Similarly,

Best analogy I've seen. But don't get your hopes up on a breakthrough. Apparently, if things aren't exactly the same, they're completely different.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Rowing a boat one paddle is rowing a boat and rowing a boat two paddle is still rowing a boat.
But snowboarding is not skiing and imo is not that kind of same apples to apples. Just because they both go down a mountain is of little relevance imo. That doesn't make it the same at all. It only means they share the same snow. That's the end of any similarity between the two different sports, or arts, or recreations, or whatever we want call them.
Anyone who knows how a ski actually works and how a snow board actually works, in terms of interaction with the snow, deformation of the board, impact of edging and bending the ski or board, forces generated and Newtonian physics, knows that the similarity does not end at sharing the same snow.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone who knows how a ski actually works and how a snow board actually works, in terms of interaction with the snow, deformation of the board, impact of edging and bending the ski or board, forces generated and Newtonian physics, knows that the similarity does not end at sharing the same snow.
Not anyone cause I know how they work and yet still say regardless of snow interaction imo they are not the same sports. Why is it so important for them to be the same sport? Why must that be so accepted as truth by everyone when it can easily be debated they are different sports. What makes the view of them being two different things a wrong view. Is it not politically correct to say they are different? I don't get why they have to be the same.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Truth matters. They are two different things, else they we would not need two different words to name them. They have differences and similarities. Just like skiing and mono-skiing are two different things. That's the truth. Politics may rule the world, but truth matters more. How different two things have to be to be called a different sport and how similar they have to be to be called the same sport is a subjective judgement call. The Olympic committee seems to think they are different sports; I'll give you that.

Standing sideways on one ski versus facing forward on two is not a big deal to me. Maybe it is to you. You are welcome to your opinion, and I will take mine. I guess we will agree to disagree. Cheers:beercheer:

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider

The key here is "IMO"... your opinion is FINE. You are completely and totally welcome to it. So are Flat Earth Society members welcome to their OPINIONS. Having an opinion does not make it valid, that is important to understand and accept. Goose, you seem put out buy the number of people who DO NOT share YOUR opinion. You need to let that go... or maybe take a moment and re-evaluate your opinions and try to see why very few people agree with you and very many people disagree with you... and maybe ask yourself "am I a Flat Earther?"

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why is it so important for them to be the same sport? Why must that be so accepted as truth by everyone when it can easily be debated they are different sports. What makes the view of them being two different things a wrong view. Is it not politically correct to say they are different? I don't get why they have to be the same.

ok...

Why is it so important for them not to be the same sport? Why must that be accepted as truth by everyone when it can be easily debated they are very similar sports. What makes the view of them being very similar a wrong view? It is too politically correct to say they are very similar? I don't get why they have to be different

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Not anyone cause I know how they work and yet still say regardless of snow interaction imo they are not the same sports. Why is it so important for them to be the same sport? Why must that be so accepted as truth by everyone when it can easily be debated they are different sports. What makes the view of them being two different things a wrong view. Is it not politically correct to say they are different? I don't get why they have to be the same.

Goose... just curious... would you be part of the baby boomer demographic?

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
The key here is "IMO"... your opinion is FINE. You are completely and totally welcome to it. So are Flat Earth Society members welcome to their OPINIONS. Having an opinion does not make it valid, that is important to understand and accept. Goose, you seem put out buy the number of people who DO NOT share YOUR opinion. You need to let that go... or maybe take a moment and re-evaluate your opinions and try to see why very few people agree with you and very many people disagree with you... and maybe ask yourself "am I a Flat Earther?"
I only (as of late) am responding to others who wish to question/debate with me, And what I mention is done so as my opinion and even noted as such. But people are challenging and questioning me via posting to me and so i respond accordingly. So Im not forcing anything. Ive even mentioned id agree to disagree but still I get called upon to respond and respectfully I do so and accordingly. Agreeing to disagree is letting it go. But people choose to draw my debate back in and that's perfectly fine with me cause conversation is good. But im not really the one forcing anything yet only answering what is asked or questioned of me. Id argue (respectfully) that its actually the other way around here where as others as of late are voicing an opinion to me that implies theirs is the only valid one and wont let that go or even agree to disagree. But as said that's ok and Ill discuss it further if called upon.

Comparing my opinion with this topic to one of a flat earth society is not fair at all and honestly even ridiculous.To suggest what a majority of people may believe has to then be true vs what a minority amount of people may believe is just not so. There was a time when most people believed the earth was flat and fwiw they were all very wrong. And many other things of great magnitude have also gone on similarly since modern civilization. So having a majority believed opinion does not at all mean it must then be the valid one either. Your statement ......"having an opinion does not make it valid" works both ways.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
ok...

Why is it so important for them not to be the same sport? Why must that be accepted as truth by everyone when it can be easily debated they are very similar sports. What makes the view of them being very similar a wrong view? It is too politically correct to say they are very similar? I don't get why they have to be different
I had said Id agree to disagree.
But there is far more feedback which seems to want to insist they have to be the same which at times from enough people seems to come via some sort of ulterior motive to do so. Imo much of that stems from a morally or politically correct stance where as its very wrong to not accept that snow boarding is not the same as skiing due to the old this vs that thing. . That's where I feel the opinion wrongfully takes on a some role of great importance that no one should feel otherwise cause it would be wrong to do so. As for anyone simply and truly talking about the two forms of sport being the same or not and doing so from only a technical point of view? As said id agree to disagree. In my subjective opinion about it, they are not the same. If I was hypothetically in charge of making some sort of official decision on the topic? lol....but Id rule they are two different things/sports. People can rule otherwise and id disagree.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As the OP of this thread, moderator, ddmin and owner of the site. I am closing the thread. It is dropped below what is considered ski talk at a higher level. My only regret is that we didn't close it earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online