• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you caught a bike thief in action, what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From this Daily UK news report, a blazen bike thief used a battery operated grinder to cut through a bike lock on a Trek Powerfly 4, and continued to do so while he was being filmed by an onlooker.

On another site there were comments about how the onlookers should have stopped him, and while my first instinct says yes, I also wonder how violent it could have gotten and to what end?

I'm pleased that an onlooker at least got video footage while someone else called police.

What would you do?

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
It depends on where I live..??
I would’t even try to film it if it’s high crime rate area/city, especially in the countries that allow fire arm possession.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
20210814_055944.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I would’t even try to film it if it’s high crime rate area/city, especially in the countries that allow fire arm possession.
Wouldn't the same logic apply for attempting to steal a bike in broad daylight? Around here the odds of someone pulling a gun to attempt a citizen's arrest are high. That said you can't actually shoot someone at the mall for fleeing after/while stealing a bike, even if it's your bike. You can show them a gun and ask them to wait for the police though..

Even when I worked in retail management at a mall it was crystal clear that we were not supposed to try to physically detain anyone ever. Get a good description, maybe follow from a safe distance and try to get a plate number. But do NOT risk personal harm to catch a thief ever..

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The thief had a battery operated grinder, not to mention his friends standing by. That's weapon enough for me to call authorities and take pics.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
I'll be driving up to hilly San Francisco later this morning for my weekly day of fun and urban street walking exercise. Property crimes like car break ins and bike thefts there are worst in the nation due to lack of punishment for those caught. Yeah no jail time and then the few going to court are not punished because they are "too poor". People are so angry at the DA responsible, that enough petitions have just been signed that there will be a recall election next June. Recently thieves have increasingly been carrying guns to discourage civilians intervening resulting in a couple people recently being shot dead.

If I saw someone breaking into my Forester, though I'm a little old guy, have a very loud voice and can still throw rocks like a baseball pitcher. Would not get close as even lacking a gun, they likely carry a knife and are stronger.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
I would try to chase a bike thief away. Most bike thieves aren't hardened criminals; they're junkies looking for a quick drug fix. They support their habit by stealing anything they can. When confronted, they'll spook easily and move on to an easier target. But this story in London would give me pause. Multiple accomplices? Balaclavas? Yikes! I don't think I would touch that one at all. A little scary.

By the way, has anyone seen this viral twitter thread about one guy's attempts to get his stolen electric scooter back? Epic.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend had a bike cut off of his car rack in the middle of a work day in front of his office. Later review of parking lot camera footage revealed that the thieves actually made three attempts on the bike that morning and succeeded on the third. Not easily spooked, and apparently not feeling very self-conscious.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It depends on if it's my bike or not, if it's mine I would try to stop him depending on the safety of the circumstances. First move would be video it for proof. Second would be call 911. Third would be take safe action if my bike, if not mine keep an eye on things if possible till cops showed up. I would have no problem getting physical if I thought it was safe and it was my bike. Being 6'4", 240lbs has its perks.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I would try to chase a bike thief away. Most bike thieves aren't hardened criminals; they're junkies looking for a quick drug fix. They support their habit by stealing anything they can. When confronted, they'll spook easily and move on to an easier target. But this story in London would give me pause. Multiple accomplices? Balaclavas? Yikes! I don't think I would touch that one at all. A little scary.

By the way, has anyone seen this viral twitter thread about one guy's attempts to get his stolen electric scooter back? Epic.

A friend had a bike cut off of his car rack in the middle of a work day in front of his office. Later review of parking lot camera footage revealed that the thieves actually made three attempts on the bike that morning and succeeded on the third. Not easily spooked, and apparently not feeling very self-conscious.
With these bikes running north of $5K, sometimes even double that we're approaching "Gone in 60 Seconds" level criminals.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Missed wearing a mask which is currently pretty ubitquitous. Grey/ black shell which is what more or less every youth wears in UK at the moment. Doubt he'll be caught unless they are a gang the po-po are seriously targeting.

Presumably you've heard about the machete attacks on high end road bikes?

Richmond Park was Henry VIII's home deer park. It is not a low rent neighbourhood.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just another nail in the coffin of brick and mortar retail. Flash mob robberies..

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
for the current prices of high end rides, I'm surprised active location (Lojacks) aren't installed in more bikes as a default ... big battery is installed.

It's fun watching the vid's of thieves being tracked, the Glitter Bomb (with fart spray) box is super funny.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It would depend on the age and condition of my bike at the time of the robbery. If bike was new, I may try to stop the thief if I didn't see any weapons. My current mountain bike is high end but I have put over 4000 miles on it the last 4 summers. I would let them have it and document the theft and call insurance for a new high end bike.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Many years ago I came from BART (our public train/subway system in the Bay Area) and was saddened to see my bike gone off the rack. Walking home, I passed a bar around the corner and saw these two guys outside drinking next to my bike. Without thinking, I walked up to them and said, "Hey, that's my bike!" and as the one closest to it feebly tried to tell me it was his, I made a split-second calculation and shoved him hard in the chest, sending him to the ground. The friend said, "Hey!" but didn't move. I jumped on the bike and left.

I am not a violent person or a fighter, so this surprised me more than anybody. But I got my bike back!

Status
Not open for further replies.