• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific If you had to pick ONE region to ski the rest of your life, which one would it be?

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
But why pick?

I'd never choose a place to live just for skiing. Or for that matter, for any activity for the rest of my life. Although I'm not exactly young, but there's still too much "rest of my life" left for me to know what I want for all those upcoming decades. (actually, I know at some point I won't be doing exactly the same thing as I'm doing now)

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Subscribed for future planning. I'm not as well travel as most of you. Utah is my place to ski. I think maybe 3 out of 5 favorite areas on my list are in Utah.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Do I have to live there, or can it be anywhere in the world via unlimited travel fund? :huh: Because if I need to live within driving distance Y'm going to pick something that's also equal distance or closer to a nice warm water white sand ocean beach with good surfing options as well.. like right where I am now.

If I can keep living where I am but have a private jet shoot me to any resort in the world in a few hours I'd find a place that's hardly ever crowded. I'll take smaller and less gnar over big crowds all day long all year long.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
2: forcing someone to pick one option forces you to think hard and weigh all the options and criteria, hopefully leading to new insight about places.
I'm ok with playing the game of weighing pros and cons.

It's just "rest of life" is too long. I'm old enough to know I'm a different person than I was a couple decades back. But not old enough to have still a couple more decades to go. Knowing what I know now, I have reason to believe the rest of my life will play out different than expected.

"Insight about places", I'm not sure it will lead to their discovery. You need to actually live there to discover it, not just thinking about being there long term.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been retired over 15 years and happy with the choices I made.

Love sailing so primary residence is near my yacht club on Long Island Sound. Have condo at Killington VT which is in short term rental program to generate income when I am not using it. I leave it free for all of February so I can go someplace like Colorado for an extended stay. Net rentals on the Killington condo will typically cover the costs of the trip to Colorado.

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Okanagan Valley, BC. Plenty of ski resorts, plenty of fine powder and plenty to do the rest of the year: lakes; wineries.... Just far enough away from major population centers to keep the crowds down. International airport at Kelowna for easy access to the world. Just a general nice place to live.

Oh, damn - gotta keep this a secret.

Don't go to the Okanagan Valley in BC. Pitiful ski resorts, snow's lousy (Okanagan champagne pow is actually a joke), too crowded, nothing to do, too hard to get to the rest of the world.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am pretty happy where I live in Vancouver.

Nice west coast marine climate. Temperate all year. Sailing hiking and outdoor activities 365 days

Local hills from small to Whistler . Ski season runs late November to end of May. A short drive to the Okanogan or start a loop from Revelstoke through the Rockies or "powder highway for more

That said if it's all about skiing the epicenter of BC and Alberta is Golden

Not the greatest town yet. (still value to buck) but is in a beautiful valley,
adjacenct to the most spectacular area of Canada I've seen, and has the most great hills within a 2 hour radius in our region.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Would people consider Korea/Japan/Australia/New Zealand to be in the same region? I mean they all technically fall under "Asia Pacific" region. Almost in the same time zone too (NZ 0 hour, Japan/Korea +2 hours, Australia +4 hours).

If yes, I'd gladly live somewhere near the beach cheaply somewhere in South East Asia or Pacific Islands during non-winter months. Then fly cheap airline to Korea/Japan for Northern Hemisphere winter then NZ/Oz for southern hemisphere winter.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Last edited:

Sponsor