• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific If you had to pick ONE region to ski the rest of your life, which one would it be?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Where would you actually live in this area? Serious question.
@Jeff N actually does live in that area. Hopefully he can provide some answers... but I'd think Pagosa Springs would be an answer for being a Wolf Creek local. Or maybe South Fork.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I lived full time in the Tahoe region for 25 years then Northern Utah for another 20+ both have been great! After visiting the interior region of British Columbia a few times, I thought Golden may be next but l got pretty comfortable where I am at this stage splitting time between Tahoe & Utah. I guess that would be 2 regions so…
I’m going to say Chamonix/Courmayeur. Beautiful place, great skiing, great culture, close enough to big cities and enough scale to cover for any off hill needs.
This has been on my bucket list since moving to Utah but not sure I’ll ever make it happen. I think l will keep watching this thread before making a commitment. One thing for sure is that I need a long season!

James

Out There
Instructor
This has been on my bucket list since moving to Utah but not sure I’ll ever make it happen.
Have you ever been? It’s spectacular, but with a lot of caveats. You, with guide or knowledgeable near guide, could access the good stuff. But it’s not quaint, and it’s a valley town, not a mountain town. Summer is the busier season. Plenty of people from NA are very disappointed. Take lift up, ski rad avy controlled terrain, back to lift, repeat? Not happening like it does in NA.

It’s also, like most ski places, seemingly moving towards fancy shops. Not a great development imo.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Have you ever been? It’s spectacular, but with a lot of caveats. You, with guide or knowledgeable near guide, could access the good stuff. But it’s not quaint, and it’s a valley town, not a mountain town. Summer is the busier season. Plenty of people from NA are very disappointed. Take lift up, ski rad avy controlled terrain, back to lift, repeat? Not happening like it does in NA.

It’s also, like most ski places, seemingly moving towards fancy shops. Not a great development imo.
Yes, been to Chamonix/Grand Montet a couple of times, alps in general a handful, Courmayeur never. My plan years ago was to rent a chalet in Courmayeur (at the time cheaper) as a base & use the Mont Blanc tunnel to travel to other areas. At the time I was waiting for the tunnel & Aguille Du Midi tram to be rebuilt but got sidetracked to Utah & other things.
If we can get a few more winters like this one in Utah during my skiing life I’ll be pretty stoked!

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Yes, been to Chamonix/Grand Montet a couple of times, alps in general a handful, Courmayeur never. My plan years ago was to rent a chalet in Courmayeur (at the time cheaper) as a base & use the Mont Blanc tunnel to travel to other areas. At the time I was waiting for the tunnel & Aguille Du Midi tram to be rebuilt but got sidetracked to Utah & other things.
If we can get a few more winters like this one in Utah during my skiing life I’ll be pretty stoked!
If money and climate change were not an issue, I would consider living in the Val d’Anniviers, Switzerland. Outstanding ski touring, cool little ski areas, if you like long t-bar access at Zinal, Grimentz, and St Luc. And it not crowded - Swiss guides go with their families for their ski vacation.

IMG_1178.jpeg
Near Bec de Bosson - find the Matterhorn

IMG_1182.jpeg
old rock skis and waiting for a postal bus

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Where would you actually live in this area? Serious question.
Depends on priorities. If cost is the ultimate consideration, live in San Luis Valley- South Fork, Monte Vista, Alamosa are dirt cheap, Alamosa has some blue/white collar jobs potential. This would make Wolf Creek your home area, put you in day ski range of Crested Butte, Taos, and Monarch. So, you know, heaven.

Or go to the other side of Wolf Creek pass and you have Pagosa, Bayfield, Durango. You can home mountain Wolf from Durango but it is about 1 1/2 hours. Purgatory/Hesperus is the local Durango mountains, and you are in day ski range to Telluride and Silverton. Live in Durango proper and your kid can ski afternoons at Chapman Hill downtown.

I live in the Foothills North of Bayfield. It takes a little over an hour to get to Purgatory and about 15 minutes longer to Wolf Creek. The extra travel time is well worth it for our home, which was quite affordable by Colorado standards, is on acreage, has National Forest access with great snowmobile terrain, and has a million dollar view.

Durango has the best job prospects down here. Both me and my wife work out of Durango though I am mostly work from home.

Why is it my favorite region? Well, it is the one both me and my wife managed to live and work in, but more objectively it has a bunch of never crowded mountains with top tier terrain, and then it has Wolf Creek, which along with Targhee and Powder Mountain has some of the best ratios of skier visits to snowfall in the west- and better terrain than it gets credit for. The new lifts help the perception of that terrain and the ski experience because they eliminate a lot of the long traverses on the runout and let you just ski downhill.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
I choose the Tarentaise Valley because I’m greedy and it includes the 1st, 3rd, and 9th largest ski areas in the world - Les 3 Vallées (1), Paradiski (3), Tignes-Val d’Isère (9) - as well a four others: la Rosière, Ste Foy la Tarentaise, Valmorel, and Pralognan la Vanoise.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I really love our skiing combination of Western Mass (Otis, Butternut), southern VT (Magic, Bromley, Sugarbush, Killington). etc and the occasional trip to the eastern quebec townships. If we were going to move across country and had to pick one place it would be

1) Banff (Lake Louise/Sunshine
2) Tahoe (Heavenly)
3) Mammoth/June

Last edited: