• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific If you had to pick ONE region to ski the rest of your life, which one would it be?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't really understand the question. I picked Sun Valley area to retire to on the basis of cost (compared to say Aspen), smallish town (compared to say SLC), and fit to my skiing preferences. However, that does not mean I will never ski elsewhere for the rest of my life, as the topic seems to state.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Definitely not Dolomites. Lovely but essentially man made piste skiing for eternity.

I guess I'd say Aspen area (assuming the fantasy rules of property funding/ traffic magic eraser etc apply) or maybe the Valais. Though I could argue somewhere like Briancon is a good hub or a Maurienne base.

Reality is I'd be more than happy to "settle" for somewhere like Red or Fernie.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Utah. No question about it. Best snow I've ever skied; first time there was when Alta was what, $20 day? (and not THAT long ago, either...). But I loved, loved the smaller spots like Brighton, Solitude etc.

That said, we live in France and have an old farmhouse in the Haute Savoie...so the default answer is: Haute Savoie...although it's not the greatest skiing in the world, or even the Alps, and it's being hit hard by climate change.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Pacific Northwest. Mount Baker *and* Mount Hood for insane amounts of snow and a 10 month lift served season, respectively.

Glad to live here.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
I’ve found it. Southern San Juan’s. Wolf Creek as your home area breaks you for skiing most places.

The official report yesterday was 4” of snow in the storm cycle. The real conditions were knee-thigh deep cold smoke. My 5 year old CRUSHED IT, btw.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve found it. Southern San Juan’s. Wolf Creek as your home area breaks you for skiing most places.

The official report yesterday was 4” of snow in the storm cycle. The real conditions were knee-thigh deep cold smoke. My 5 year old CRUSHED IT, btw.
I've skiied just about everywhere in N America and many places in Europe. I think you may be right.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would pick the french pyrenees.

Maritime climate
Not crowded
Lots of steep couloirs with easy access
Lots of snow, except for now.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Of the places I've been if I still had to work I would probably choose the Ogden area so I can ski Snowbasin and Powder Mountain. If income was not a concern that I would be residing in Driggs, ID and skiing Grand Targhee.

Last edited:

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
That said if it's all about skiing the epicenter of BC and Alberta is Golden

Not the greatest town yet. (still value to buck) but is in a beautiful valley,
adjacenct to the most spectacular area of Canada I've seen, and has the most great hills within a 2 hour radius in our region.

Whenever I ask myself where I would live if I didn't need to work, it's a tossup between Golden for it's location and Revelstoke because it's a nicer town (and still a very nice location).

It's tough to beat Golden though. Between the Purcells and the Rockies and a 30 minute drive to the Selkriks.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Difficult, as I see the rules you cannot chose an area like ’Utah’, you’d have to pick a specific resort. And that is the only resort you can ski for the rest of your life. Has nothing to do with were you live, you’d magically travel to chosen resort when you were going to ski.
I’d chose Espace Killy in France or Via Lattea in Piemonte. Both are very big skiing systems with multiple summits, piste skiing of Olympic heritage and WC standard, lots of easily accessible off piste… enough to keep a skier busy for a long time. And I have friends there.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Picked the Green Mountains of Vermont back in the early 80's. Wife bought a ski home there in 1995. Hounded the boss of the company that I wanted to work for years until I was hired. Lived here ever since and never regretted one minute. Finding a mountain that has a cool ski bum culture is paramount. Skiing everyday with your friends at a place fills your heart with joy is priceless.

My posse of Jaded Locals this past Thursday
IMG_2917.jpg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Utah. No question about it. Best snow I've ever skied; first time there was when Alta was what, $20 day? (and not THAT long ago, either...). But I loved, loved the smaller spots like Brighton, Solitude etc.

That said, we live in France and have an old farmhouse in the Haute Savoie...so the default answer is: Haute Savoie...although it's not the greatest skiing in the world, or even the Alps, and it's being hit hard by climate change.
When did you last visit SLC? If you're living in an old farmhouse in the Haute Savoie, I have a feeling you'd be in for a rude awakening.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Where would you actually live in this area? Serious question.

Sponsor