• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you had to replace your daily driver (automobile) right now, what would it be?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
About to - Duramax Yukon XL we ordered should be showing up any day now. It's a whale of a beast of a monster of a vehicle. More like a ship to pilot. But, we legit need it, I'm a travel sports Dad now, so, you know. We're gonna burn up the SE coast this Winter going to tournaments. Should buy a freakin' condo in Orlando at this point, but I digress . . .

Now if money was no object and I had my ultimate dream car - Emory Outlaw 356 porche for the DD. Or a Sport Quattro from back in the day. Or possibly a 1989 944 Turbo S.

oh yes, sport Quattro, nice.! I had an 85 Quattro coupe and a 90 quattro coupe ( the new shaped one). Great cars, I kept both for 4 years plus which was a year longer than usual for me.
( the second one had 125 k plus on it when I sold it.

hope the Yukon diesel works out for you. They still don’t seem to have solved the crank / no start issue with that engine yet and last I heard there was a temporary halt in production of it.. keep us posted how it goes. I am interested as Ford have now stopped the Diesel engine in the f150 so I will reluctantly need to look at GM when I am ready yo change in a year or two

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If I replaced my daily driver my heirs would start legal action as I just purchased an Audi TT Coupe as my daily driver in June, but legal action not withstanding I'd buy a Jaguar, any model, just because I've never had one. Gone through lots of car makes all these years of driving, but never a Jag. Would it be a wise choice? Maybe not, but still worth considering just for the hell of it.

Come to think of it I've never had an Alfa either. That might be a step too far even for me.

yes, jagmake some nice looking cars. I had a 2000 Jaguar S type V8 sport as my company car for. Couple of years when I was in Oregon. Great car, loved it. You could slide it around like a rally car:). I was fortunate I had no issues with it. really missed it when I went back to the
UK but bought an 02 boxster instea.

my ex had 2 Euro Alfa GTVs. Fabu driving car, best FWD cat I have ever driven. Unfortunately, dreadful reliability. They Replaced the first, a 2000, after 4 months because it had so many issues and the replacement went back early after less than 2 years on a flatbed…..:rolleyes:

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
my ex had 2 Euro Alfa GTVs. Fabu driving car, best FWD cat I have ever driven. Unfortunately, dreadful reliability. They Replaced the first, a 2000, after 4 months because it had so many issues and the replacement went back early after less than 2 years on a flatbed…..:rolleyes:
I still want a Giulia. :) My current thinking is to do a lease and limit the downside, but have the upside of a buyout at the end if it proves reliable. If not, I've checked off the Italian car ownership box that an Italian like myself must do and I go elsewhere with my car dollars.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
hope the Yukon diesel works out for you. They still don’t seem to have solved the crank / no start issue with that engine yet and last I heard there was a temporary halt in production of it.. keep us posted how it goes.
So far, so good, knock on wood. Did great round trip to Tampa, averaged around 25 mpg all in including a lot of in town driving from hotel to sportsplex. Per other owners it gets even better after break in, we only hit 1300 miles after this trip. Fantastic on the highway. Quiet, comfortable, solid. It is YUGE. You get used to it quick.

Haven’t heard of any such no start issues with the 3.0L “baby” Duramax. I’m usually rather obsessive about researching such things too. Did see a prod halt but think it was for pickups, and due to chip shortages but it’s the internet, who knows. Ours got built and shipped relatively quickly.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Used:

2012-2017 Touareg
2007-2009 4 Runner, maybe 2011 and 2012
Almost any model year Toyota Tundra

I know nothing about wagons, but if I were interested, Outback or Audi

Warning about new vehicles. Chip shortages and employee staffing may lead to serious quality control issues trhough 2022. For example, Many Jeep Grand Cherokee L series will not have air suspension, but you'll get a measley $750 credit. This is absurd. Makes the truck a car if you don't have air suspension. Why take a chance.

There are simply too many good used cars to take a chance in buying new in this labor and tech shortage inventory.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So far, so good, knock on wood. Did great round trip to Tampa, averaged around 25 mpg all in including a lot of in town driving from hotel to sportsplex. Per other owners it gets even better after break in, we only hit 1300 miles after this trip. Fantastic on the highway. Quiet, comfortable, solid. It is YUGE. You get used to it quick.

Haven’t heard of any such no start issues with the 3.0L “baby” Duramax. I’m usually rather obsessive about researching such things too. Did see a prod halt but think it was for pickups, and due to chip shortages but it’s the internet, who knows. Ours got built and shipped relatively quickly.
Good to hear. Check the forums on the crank/no start. pretty widespread with the baby duramax. There have ben four or five attempted fixes so far. fingers crossed

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Good to hear. Check the forums on the crank/no start. pretty widespread with the baby duramax. There have ben four or five attempted fixes so far. fingers crossed
You made me look - eek! :eek: Actually looks to me like GM has fixed majority of them w/ an ECM flash, and it impacted mostly pickups with late 2020 into early 2021 manufacture dates. Here's hoping anyway. We had a 2016 GL 350 Diesel that no-started on us a couple times under 2500 miles after new, took the Dealership guys multiple attempts to fix it finally tracing to intermittent fault in some weird secondary relay (fuel pump maybe?) under the rear seats. Super frustrating and since it wouldn't EVER start (unlike the Baby Duramax which, to a person seemed to always start on 2nd attempt) we bailed on it. Dealer was great, it qualified for Lemon Law but they just took care of it w/ trade in assistance.

So, I'm hopeful on our Denali Duramax w/ manufacture date of Oct 18th, 2021 - he's a 2022 MY they got past this issue and ours won't have it. If on the off chance we run into this we know to wait, try again and it should start. Then hit up our dealer fully informed of the issues. Internet is good for some stuff, yah?

P.s. so far - loving it, it's not Mercedes level luxury but good enough for who it's for!!! :cool:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
yes, fingers crossed for you and that GM has actually solved it at their 5th(?) attempt. I will be watching the forums as it is definitely a potential option when I change my truck. I think the only reason it seemed to impact pickups more is because the sales of the diesel in the PU were much greater than in the SUVs.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice to see my 18-year-old daily driver featured on the homepage of Jalopnik today! :ogbiggrin:

It's been a great car. Same color, but mine has the wing. Tough to replace.

5e486b0666d2870a60460012c004aab5.jpeg

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Been dropping hints here and there.
The lease on my current company car is expiring soon, oh wait, it has expired.
It is a m.y. 2017 Skoda Octavia Wagon FWD, 1.6 Litres Turbo diesel DSG equipped
Lots of cargo space. great mileage. Reliable. lots of room for the passengers too.
Very good behaviour on bad wintery roads
Only about one negative point is the ground clearance.
If the "ruggerized" AWD (I think it is called the "scout") version would have been accessible to me, I would have gone for that.
Since I wanted to get an AWD / 4WD...
And given that the Octavia offered was again not the ruggerized / AWD version, I have ordered a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid 4WD, 2.5 petrol engine (not the plug-in version).
For the kind of travel I do, I expect the mileage to be similar, even if slightly less positive... but since everyone wants the diesel engines dead, and given that I have the luxury (for now) to be able to change car every 4 years or so...
A bit less cargo space, everything else is a question mark and need to be "time-tested"
I am waiting its delivery, which should be any day now...

Nobody

Skier
While I am waiting for the RAV4 delivery I have been provided with a "I wish but I can't" as we call them here...
A Dacia Duster , pretty well equipped as it goes with whistles and bells, but it is only FWD (and a bit lighter on the forward train, for my tastes). All in all I like it, listed price is quite convenient, so that it doesn't cost a fortune to buy it and lots of people has chosen it here. Good groud clearance, good cargo comp, a little cramped in the rear passenger aisle, good mileage (it is equipped with a Renault 1.5 Turbo diesel engine, coupled to a 6 gearbox manual transmission; the engine behavior reminds me of the 2.1 TD Renault engine that was equipping my 1987 Jeep Cherockee), but it's only a stopgap equipment until the RAV arrives...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Nobody

Skier
Last but not least
If I had to buy a car , right now, I would look for a second hand version of either:
-Ford Ranger pick up truck, 2.5 or 3.0 TD engine (max) possibly in the Raptor version (that would be too nice to have)
-4 doors Jeep wrangler Rubicon or equivalent (maybe even a Gladiator pick up version)
-Jeep Grand Cherockee
-Land Rover Defender (new model)

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
While I am waiting for the RAV4 delivery I have been provided with a "I wish but I can't" as we call them here...
A Dacia Duster , pretty well equipped as it goes with whistles and bells, but it is only FWD (and a bit lighter on the forward train, for my tastes). All in all I like it, listed price is quite convenient, so that it doesn't cost a fortune to buy it and lots of people has chosen it here. Good groud clearance, good cargo comp, a little cramped in the rear passenger aisle, good mileage (it is equipped with a Renault 1.5 Turbo diesel engine, coupled to a 6 gearbox manual transmission; the engine behavior reminds me of the 2.1 TD Renault engine that was equipping my 1987 Jeep Cherockee), but it's only a stopgap equipment until the RAV arrives...
Drove one of those around Iceland for a week. Fun, but not sure I'd want to own one.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

When we spent a week at a bike hotel in Rimini -- against all the rules -- the lead guide let me drive a decent-sized minivan of sorts. I'm thinking it was a VW of some kind but it was 10 years ago. The detail that i do remember and LOVED was that it had a manual transmission.

I didn't drive far, but it made me miss owning a manual transmission.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I would love a new Bronco. Thinking about a Base model 4-door with hardtop+crossbars, 2.7t engine and 10 speed auto as only options plus a set of aftermarket wheels and tires (32"s, 3pk symbol AT's). Just under $40k. No need for lockers or 35's. I want good highway driving plus some decent offroad capability to access trailheads.

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 10.34.51 AM.png

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just had a rental car, where they just said "pick one out of row c". I picked a Jeep Compass Trailhawk. Really nice small SUV, some genuine 4wd features, skid plates etc. Ride compared well to the Grande Cherokee. I'd go for that over a Subaru for sure. Jeep's maintenance reputation is not stellar, but my last Subaru will remain the last.

Sponsor

Staff online