• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you had to replace your daily driver (automobile) right now, what would it be?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Meh, we already have non-lithium battery tech that is better than all Li variants for energy-per-unit volume density.

Lithium just needs to get us through the next 10 years of energy-per-unit weight criteria.

As Malthusian dooms go, peak lithium is not even in my top 20.

Sodium-ion batteries, yeah, thats gonna take a while until they solve the lowish energy density and low charge-discharge cycle capacity. 10 years seems reasonable.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Sodium-ion batteries, yeah, thats gonna take a while until they solve the lowish energy density and low charge-discharge cycle capacity. 10 years seems reasonable.
Not to turn it into another EV discussion thread, but any battery is going to have much lower energy density than gasoline, so the key is to have a battery that is reasonably compact, safe, and can be charged and discharged very quickly over many cycles without degradation. Currently, such battery currently does quite exist.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Not to turn it into another EV discussion thread, but any battery is going to have much lower energy density than gasoline, so the key is to have a battery that is reasonably compact, safe, and can be charged and discharged very quickly over many cycles without degradation. Currently, such battery currently does quite exist.

I should have said low energy density compared to current Lithium ion batteries

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
What we need is a high capacity capacitor.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
The new Tundra is officially out now. I'm personally 2-4 years out on a "need" for a new truck, however I'm 2 minutes out from "wanting" a truck. I drive a 2014 LT Suburban and love that thing. Prior to that a 2003 4Runner LTD and also loved that thing. But hard for me to ignore that new Tundra. Probably overhyped, who knows...but ....

Daydreaming here and went on Toyota build site today and put together the 1794 extended bed with the TRD package. My daydreams of this truck remind me of Christmas with 1984 GI Joe.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new Tundra is officially out now. I'm personally 2-4 years out on a "need" for a new truck, however I'm 2 minutes out from "wanting" a truck. I drive a 2014 LT Suburban and love that thing. Prior to that a 2003 4Runner LTD and also loved that thing. But hard for me to ignore that new Tundra. Probably overhyped, who knows...but ....

Daydreaming here and went on Toyota build site today and put together the 1794 extended bed with the TRD package. My daydreams of this truck remind me of Christmas with 1984 GI Joe.

So I'm guessing that a new Sequoia will follow shortly on the same general chassis?

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Currently driving an Audi Q8, but Mrs Saintsman is looking likely to be getting a large SUV herself, so giving serious thought to the Audi e-tron GT. Or a Taycan Crossturismo. Or maybe holding out for Lucid to release the Air in the UK

Pulled the trigger on the etron GT today. Mrs Saintsman about to pull the trigger on the Q4.

Supply chain issues mean that I;m looking at a July buildslot at the earliest

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Acura NSX. Always loved that car in every iteration.

And it shares some of the same lineage as my 2020 Civic;)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I'm guessing that a new Sequoia will follow shortly on the same general chassis?
Yep, and speculation is there will also be a stretch Sequoia that is Suburban size.

The cool thing is unlike the previous generation the chassis and drivetrain are shared with the global Land Cruiser, so hopefully, reliability will be outstanding (despite the turbo).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, and speculation is there will also be a stretch Sequoia that is Suburban size.

They should build another factory now for the demand. They will sell as many as they can build.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The old Cadillac CTS was finally consigned to the scrap heap. Only 312k and running like a top and no VISIBLE rust, but underneath it almost broke in two.
Now looking for a suitable replacement.. Another CTS or SRX, or perhaps a Lincoln MKZ or MKX. Never had a crossover vehicle so I'd be willing to try. I like luxury cars that depreciate quickly so that I can enjoy them for a lot less expense. 5-6 years old with 100k. is fine.
Unfortunately, its bad timing to buy anything, everything is at such a premium.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
anyone snag a new 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee yet? not the 3 row version. I hear the New Grand Cherokee is out, but having a real hard time finding any. I'm considering replacing my current 2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT for something... and thinking maybe the new 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Any thoughts?

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
They should build another factory now for the demand. They will sell as many as they can build.
Suburban Sequoia would be amazing. The Tundra now stretches out to 252 (v. Suburban 225). I would definitely wait for this...give it one year after the first year model and by 2024 I'll be ready!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd like to see this... Maverick Exibition XL
217423632_239251064699713_3449325895554507337_n-jpg.843

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
anyone snag a new 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee yet? not the 3 row version. I hear the New Grand Cherokee is out, but having a real hard time finding any. I'm considering replacing my current 2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT for something... and thinking maybe the new 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Any thoughts?
2022 not 2002

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The old Cadillac CTS was finally consigned to the scrap heap. Only 312k and running like a top and no VISIBLE rust, but underneath it almost broke in two.
Now looking for a suitable replacement..

C&D positively gushed over the new CT5 and CT6 Blackwings a few months ago.

The last ICE Blackwings, or something along those lines, and they apparently sold out quickly.

Should be plenty coming off lease in a few years, if you can wait.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
2022 not 2002
Watch out on the Cherokee L's...they are pulling air suspension on a bunch of models due to chip shortage. For a $750 credit. This basically makes the car worth a lot less than $750.

Sponsor

Staff online