• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you had to replace your daily driver (automobile) right now, what would it be?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I thought the one redeeming thing about turbo-4 bangers (and all new turbos) was that they actually had heaps of low- and mid-range torque relative to their displacement, no?

Eh, you still have to spin them up.

Those who drive manual will be eminently familiar with this. With a sequential auto (i.e. most market offerings) that usually means 2 (sometimes more) shifts, a notable lag, and big noise.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Eh, you still have to spin them up.

Those who drive manual will be eminently familiar with this. With a sequential auto (i.e. most market offerings) that usually means 2 (sometimes more) shifts, a notable lag, and big noise.
Ahh gotcha. FWIW the Polestar'd 6-cylinder turbo in my Volvo spools up really fast - or maybe the throttle tip-in and gearing are tuned to mask it well. (The downside is it's impossible to launch or accelerate from a standstill smoothly.)

James

Out There
Instructor
I thought the one redeeming thing about turbo 4-bangers (and all newer turbos) was that they actually had heaps of low- and mid-range torque relative to their displacement, no?
With variable valve timing, direct injection, and twin scroll turbos, they pull pretty damn well from under 2k.
But if big and heavy vehicle, should be a six.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Since I'm driving a 2004 Toyota 4Runner, another 4Runner, but...
a) Should be at least 4 or 5 years out, I'm only at 175k. It did get hailstorm-hammered last summer. Could be worse, I'm not sure if the tent I was camping in that night, 8 miles away, would have been protected me from those golf-ball-sized hailstones. At least now I'm no longer worried about parking on the street in front of my house (near a golf course, I get plenty of free golf balls). After pricing out hail damage repair costs, I've learned to appreciate the character of the dimpled look.
b) Looks like it will be a while before the next Toyota 4Runner model is released, new 2022's aren't much changed since 2009, and not much improved from 2004, other than one more AT gear, infotainment screen and bug-eyed headlights. My previous 4Runner was a 1999, and there are huge upgrades from '99 to '04 (better mileage, range, power, space, comfort, nicer cup-holders) compared from '04 to '22+ But no more 5-speed manual.... (I upgraded in 2016)

There does appear to be a bit of a revolution just over the horizon with regard to electric/battery/hybrid technology, I'm a bit concerned about how rapidly charging station capacity falls behind demand once electric sales take off, not to mention electric range issues where even Interstate-70 just to the west in Utah has more than 100 miles between fuel/charging opportunities.

But if I "had" to replace right now, it'd be a '15 to '21 4Runner even though current used values are insane. (more $ than new, even!) Will I be tempted to spend $50k plus on a Rivian, Lucid, Tesla, or other snazzy electric in 4 or 5 years? Only a slim chance... I think.... If the next 4R front end is as hideous as the new Tundra or most new Lexii, I'll be much more tempted. Not sure if all new Tundra grills have the "cheese grater" option. Goal: A good-looking plug-in hybrid with 100+ miles of solid-state battery range 2026 "4Runner Prime". 2nd goal: Select from the large inventory on the dealer lot.

I've noticed there are several folks on this thread that aren't much dissuaded by frequent trade-ins, repair costs or other expenses in order to enjoy driving something new, fast, fun and/or fancy. I'm not really super frugal, but I am on the spectrum.... Oh yeah, I'm still afraid of turbos (such as Ford Bronco), not interested in gaining fuel savings $ at the risk of $$$$ for turbo repair.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Seriously too big for most folks - as are most cars and SUVs these days, to be blunt. I'm really nonplussed at having grille heights 4+ feet above the ground. Children disappear in front of these cars and there have been tragedies due to this. Not to mention they're a pain to parallel park (yes, folks still do this) or park within most parking lot lines, and are serious gas guzzlers in most cases.

Seriously: the "embiggening" of cars, trucks, and SUVs is just not great. I understand that many want to travel with an entire house's worth of stuff (and some need to due to work obligations) but it's all too much.

Sincerely,

A person who still drives a 4-door sedan and has plenty of room thanks to a rooftop box
I think the current trend, and it has been thus for a long time, is it's okay, even desirable to make the cars bigger on the outside, so long as they are made smaller on the inside. :rolleyes: Also, let's make the rear folding seats so that they can't fold flat, but leave you a sloped surface for cargo. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd like a Telluride/Palisade size vehicle, or even a Sorento, with no third row. No one I know would fit comfortably back there anyway.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'd like a Telluride/Palisade size vehicle, or even a Sorento, with no third row. No one I know would fit comfortably back there anyway.

We have had a series of Toyota Land Cruisers for 25+ years. It took a while with the first, but with the others that have followed, the FIRST thing we did was remove the two third row folding seats. No need to carry seven people. Much better for cargo!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
To partially save my fillings and kidneys when driving unloaded without having to dump a ton of sand bags in the back....
It's odd but my '18 3500 rides significantly better than our '16 2500 work truck did. It was awful.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Noted...I'm likely to buy acreage and a house in N. Idaho before I buy a new truck. A man's got to have priorities.
Doesn't the 3500 come with the change-of-address form once you get the house and acreage there?

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@UGASkiDawg I spend a lot of time looking at Idaho land and dream of building a timber home on that property. Idaho feels like the last best place (said a guy from Colorado}.
When I told people at work that I was moving to Idaho when I retired, the response I got was "What's in Idaho besides Aryans and potatoes?"

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When I told people at work that I was moving to Idaho when I retired, the response I got was "What's in Idaho besides Aryans and potatoes?"
Where to start? Skiing, hiking, unreal views, mountains, hunting, fishing, beer, and so on. I can think of a lot (I mean A LOT) of worse places to retire than Idaho.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Where to start? Skiing, hiking, unreal views, mountains, hunting, fishing, beer, and so on. I can think of a lot (I mean A LOT) of worse places to retire than Idaho.
As if the skiing, fishing and beer wasn't enough.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
C&D positively gushed over the new CT5 and CT6 Blackwings a few months ago.

The last ICE Blackwings, or something along those lines, and they apparently sold out quickly.

Should be plenty coming off lease in a few years, if you can wait.
I watched fantastic, detailed videos reviewing the CT4 and CT5 Blackwings from Savagegeese last night:

I'd love a CT4V Blackwing if it also ticked the reliability box (depreciated, used someday). A fast, reliable RWD sedan with a six-speed is all I want for my DD. Great to see the new Caddy's still have manuals.

Used CTS V's are going for a ton of money, so they must be somewhat reliable?
Autotrader CTS Manual Search

Last edited:

Sponsor