• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you like Bumps : )

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Hard to top skiing with your bump buddies. Wonder if I am going to still be able to pull this off as I get old. Here I m following @mister moose on Superstar this past May as he is answering the question of would the leg that he shattered last season hold up in the slush bumps this year. You can see the answer is yes!
image000000 (1).jpg

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I used to love bumps. Then l8fe got in the way and I missed too many years. After 7 years back I still don't have the range of motion & balance back to dki them.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't like bumps, never really did, but in the old days didn't have a choice a lot of the time.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Looks so much more wild and crazy with the regular length poles instead of the bump shorties. That's one thing the new schoolers got right. Skiing bumps is/looks way smoother with shorter poles.. Reminds me of these things..

200w.gif
Spot on, definitely short poles for bump skiing. This becomes more important with a greater range of motion (better bump skiing). At the moment of pole plant, the skier is deeply flexed, and the pole is planted 'uphill' of the feet, in the sense that the bump is taller on the pole plant side than under the feet. Short poles have been the way for a long time.

hblgzulhyjloz9vonlgb

Image source

With normal length poles, the hands are driven up and back, introducing wild inflatable person movements and throwing off balance.

Adjustable poles are great for this as you can quickly shorten if you are lucky enough to find some sweet bumps, then re-lengthen when you are tired and back on the flats.

Of course you can ski bumps with more normal-length poles, and long GS skis, just ski like the guy at the beginning of this video ;-)

Last edited:

Marathoner

Putting on skis
Skier
Love bumps and love how they are having fun. I have fun on moguls too and can go prolonged distances at speed but I can't do the jumps that they do. Does anyone have any tips on jumps off of bumps so I can improve like the way they do it? Is it too late for a 50+ yr old to learn - are jumps only for people who practice it when young? Didn't have the money or time to ski when I was young :-(

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I see what you did there

Love bumps and love how they are having fun. I have fun on moguls too and can go prolonged distances at speed but I can't do the jumps that they do. Does anyone have any tips on jumps off of bumps so I can improve like the way they do it? Is it too late for a 50+ yr old to learn - are jumps only for people who practice it when young? Didn't have the money or time to ski when I was young :-(
I'd go easy. 'Little air', much less than what they are doing, like about a foot, is fun and great for balance. Meaning just pop off lots of little stuff around the edge of a groomer, little snow piles that build up during the day, whatever. You want to feel like you can leave and return to the snow in perfect balance in all kinds of situations.

Sponsor