• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
There was an Ikon ad on the gas pump at the local Chevron today in So Cal.
Awesome, so much more room for activities !!

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got mine.... Hopefully, the last of those waiting....
IMG_20191007_152451.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was looking at mine the other night and thought, "They got that sticker very wrong!".

Given some of the mad dash for powder videos out there, complete with some bad behavior (stepping or skiing over others skis, pushing and shoving, etc.), I'm thinking they might have gotten it right. Of course, when I see what some others do to try to get untouched runs, I've always figured that "if that's what I have to do, I guess I just won't ski those runs".

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Given some of the mad dash for powder videos out there, complete with some bad behavior (stepping or skiing over others skis, pushing and shoving, etc.), I'm thinking they might have gotten it right. Of course, when I see what some others do to try to get untouched runs, I've always figured that "if that's what I have to do, I guess I just won't ski those runs".
And, it looks like those in the front of the pack have to straightline to keep from getting run over. What a waste to straightline powder!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

And, it looks like those in the front of the pack have to straightline to keep from getting run over. What a waste to straightline powder!

To play my own devil's advocate, if "no friends on a powder day" just means you don't wait around for the person who overslept, or the one who's always heading into the lodge to futz with something (that's a technical term - futz), then I'm all for it. As long as everyone is at least friend-ly, despite having "no friends".

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To play my own devil's advocate, if "no friends on a powder day" just means you don't wait around for the person who overslept, or the one who's always heading into the lodge to futz with something (that's a technical term - futz), then I'm all for it. As long as everyone is at least friend-ly, despite having "no friends".
Yeah, that is actually what I always thought it meant. It is the response to, "why didn't you wait for me?"

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Futzing is a technical term. The colloquial version is Fwigging. (F'ing with gear, verb to FWIG)

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So ours finally arrived last evening. I have to admit I thought it was kind of cute. Our granddaughter will love the stickers and map and the graphics were nicer than last year IMO. The sew-on patch and pointless luggage thingy with no place for an address seem like a waste of money, but maybe others will feel differently.

FWIW, I also think there are friends on a powder day. You may not wait for them, or they for you, but you are all so happy that an instant community of friends appears. Of course, we are spoiled here by having a local hill that doesn't get the same feeding frenzy that the bigger places do, so the vibe is perhaps nicer.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So ours finally arrived last evening. I have to admit I thought it was kind of cute. Our granddaughter will love the stickers and map and the graphics were nicer than last year IMO. The sew-on patch and pointless luggage thingy with no place for an address seem like a waste of money, but maybe others will feel differently.

FWIW, I also think there are friends on a powder day. You may not wait for them, or they for you, but you are all so happy that an instant community of friends appears. Of course, we are spoiled here by having a local hill that doesn't get the same feeding frenzy that the bigger places do, so the vibe is perhaps nicer.

We need a volunteer (not me) to gather everyone's patches and wear them on a onesie.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I bought my Ikon a couple of weeks ago, just before they went up to $799. Nothing has come in the mail yet.

Couple things re. no friends on a powder day. First, I once ditched a buddy at Red Lodge after his 3rd flailing fall. I was ahead of him and pretended I hadn't seen it. I think we were both happier as I got to seek out and ski whatever I wanted and he didn't have the pressure of trying to keep up or worry about holding me back.

Also, and I have been on both sides of this - snaking your friend's line. One time I had stopped and was contemplating a nice, untracked line directly below me. MY "friend" Bill cut right in front of me and chewed up my line! Years later I pulled the same move on him. Revenge is a dish best served with untracked powder!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I'm just trying to figure out what this little doo-dad is? It's sticky on the back, but it's not a sticker...

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A helmet sticker?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@cbk - Why do you say it's not a sticker? Seems like one to me, though it's puffy and kind of stiff.

Sponsor

Staff online