• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta IKON Pass arrives in Idaho With the Addition of Schweitzer for Winter 2021-2022

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
It was reported today that the Davenport Hotel Group in Spokane has been sold. This is a group of very nice properties that were developed and owned by a local real estate investor and his wife, both of whom are retiring.

The new owners are KSL Capital Partners, an investor group from Denver. They are also the owners of Alterra. So, it would seem they may have a stay and ski strategy that would participate with Schweitzer and the Ikon pass in the future. It should be interesting to see how this unfolds but I'm concerned.

As I noted over a year ago, KSL/Alterra have a strategy in play that is concerning to me. Now that Alterra is buying Schweitzer, I think my concerns are amplified. I don't hold anything against businesses making good business decisions to enhance their top and bottom lines but when those decisions could have adverse effects on me as a consumer, I have concerns.

Schweitzer has already been getting fairly busy with parking challenges and increased liftlines being issues. This will only exacerbate existing conditions while I recognize steps are being taken to mitigate those challenges. Those who say 'Schweitzer doesn't really have lines and isn't really crowded so what's the beef?' don't get that we locals like it that way. How this plays out will be interesting but if it turns out to be anything like the sh*t shows I've heard about from these other conglomerate resorts, I'm out. 49 Degrees North is looking better and better all the time that Schweitzer goes 'big time'.

On the upside, my condo that I've had for over 30 years is looking like a great investment return and can fund my skiing for the rest of my life should I sell and go elsewhere so, there's that....

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
Schweitzer has been on it as a partner resort with a limit of 7 days for Ikon holders for a couple of years. Now, with being purchased by Alterra, I will assume it would become available to unlimiteds without the 7 days limit. We've experienced much more crowded days over the past couple of years, some due to WFH causing a large influx of new people to the area who've moved from both Portland and Seattle metros. But we've also seen quite a number of extended weekenders from the Seattle area and that will surely increase with this new arrangement.

I understand SV has gotten a LOT busier now with the Ikon relationship. Any anecdotes??

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t know. Crystal used to be unlimited with the full Ikon pass, it no longer is,
Not all the Alterra owned resorts are unlimited with an Ikon Pass. My guess is that they will keep the Ikon Pass access the same it is now, and keep the current Schweitzer seasons, pass pricing, I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My guess is that they will keep the Ikon Pass access the same it is now, and keep the current Schweitzer seasons, pass pricing, I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
I hope for the sake of local skiers that this is the case.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'd be pretty sure Alterra didn't shell out acquisition money to keep it small and local. And if "your" hill just sold its soul to the devil your needs are much lower than the corporation's. While a partner there's still the chance of walking away.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I don’t know. Crystal used to be unlimited with the full Ikon pass, it no longer is,
Not all the Alterra owned resorts are unlimited with an Ikon Pass. My guess is that they will keep the Ikon Pass access the same it is now, and keep the current Schweitzer seasons, pass pricing, I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
Crystal is the only exception to the rule. All other Alterra owned mountains are unlimited.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
On the upside, my condo that I've had for over 30 years is looking like a great investment return and can fund my skiing for the rest of my life should I sell and go elsewhere so, there's that....
The good news is I think your condo value will only increase following the Alterra acquisition. The bad news is that there are fewer and fewer places you can go to avoid the clutches of Vail/Alterra.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think Deer Valley is the only Alterra owned resort among those mentioned above.
Ah, I see the difference. Partnered resorts vs owned resorts.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Pass access from past years does not necessarily predict future pass access. There are a few tweaks Alterra seems to have done with different resorts they own, Crystal for one, and others such as Steamboat and Winter Park where their full pass is unlimited and the Base pass has blackouts and 5 days of access. Or unlimited access at Copper, which they do not own. That one is understandable because they needed an unlimited access I-70 resort to compete with VR. So they can do more resort-specific access rather than a blanket approach.

Aspen is not an Alterra owned resort, true, but SkiCo (that owns the 4 Aspen resorts) is a partner with KSL in Alterra, so close enough. It’s bit different than affiliated partners like Powdr, Boyne or Holding.

The end result, regardless of the ownership of a given resort, is that unlimited or limited access is not automatic.

So a couple of possibilities: Alterra keep the pass structure at Schweitzer the same for the foreseeable future, or starting 2024-25 they make Schweitzer unlimited on Ikon passes with blackouts on the Base pass, or restrict the Base pass to 5 days (also with blackouts). If they do that, it would cost locals maybe $100 more than they pay now for their unlimited season pass, with the added perk of access to everywhere else on the Ikon pass, including Red Mt a few hours away.

The risk is Schweitzer getting overcrowded. That would suck for everyone. However it’s not like there is a SLC- or Denver-sized community nearby, and I just don’t see Schweitzer becoming the tourist-magnet that Jackson, Big Sky, SLC and CO resorts are. Where most of the skiers will come from, outside the local population, is the Seattle and Portland metro regions. Those of use who live in this part of the country have lots of travel options with SLC only a 2 /12 hour flight, Denver and Steamboat about 3 hours, Reno about 2 hours; etc. Calgary is under 2 hours with another hour or so drive to Banff.

When we’ve all gotten soured on crowds, expensive accommodations and airport clusterfucks (and for many that point is long past) we will happily drive to Schweitzer, along with Bachelor, Sun Peaks, Revelstoke, Red Mt, and for some, Banff. Seattle to Portland is the closest large US city to these destinations, so the hoards from my neck of the woods will likely get spread out a bit to these different resorts.

For whatever it’s worth, even if Ikon access at Schweitzer, or anywhere else were unlimited, I wouldn’t be able to ski any more days there than I already do, and I think that’s true for most people who travel there to ski.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As I noted over a year ago, KSL/Alterra have a strategy in play that is concerning to me. Now that Alterra is buying Schweitzer, I think my concerns are amplified. I don't hold anything against businesses making good business decisions to enhance their top and bottom lines but when those decisions could have adverse effects on me as a consumer, I have concerns.

Schweitzer has already been getting fairly busy with parking challenges and increased liftlines being issues. This will only exacerbate existing conditions while I recognize steps are being taken to mitigate those challenges. Those who say 'Schweitzer doesn't really have lines and isn't really crowded so what's the beef?' don't get that we locals like it that way. How this plays out will be interesting but if it turns out to be anything like the sh*t shows I've heard about from these other conglomerate resorts, I'm out. 49 Degrees North is looking better and better all the time that Schweitzer goes 'big time'.

As a Snowbasin passholder who has watched the resort ruined by Ikon, I fully get what you are saying. I have skied Schweitzer and have family in Spokane and have been eyeing moving there. When I heard this news, it made me sad.

Sponsor