• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, I figured that. Looks like they're not going to be found anywhere near the NY area. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up for the ful price.

You can try calling the stores directly.
You can plug in your zip code to the store locator on their site.

If they have it. It's probably out front along with the TV and computers.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They were gone from our three local Costcos, Sparks, Reno and Carson City.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
They were gone from our three local Costcos, Sparks, Reno and Carson City.

Probably still had it in the Vegas area Costco because of lower volume of skiers. Most of the customers there would walk right past the ski pass offer.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I can check our stores on Sunday. I’m out of town right now, but it’s possible that a beach store will still have some in stock.

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
I haven't been explicitly looking for it, but never saw any in the Sacramento (Exhibition #471) store this summer.

I would have thought this would have been target market given that Squaw, Alpine are local plus Mammoth is typical destination for 4 day to week long trips in this area.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Again last year, we didn't see see them on sale until July. So will have to be patient.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
by that time, the early season cost may be better???

If you look at the thread history, they pulled the costco program so fast; how long was it publically available? like 2weeks?
That implies the costco discount wasn't the deal they actually wanted to do, so don't set your expectations too high that they are going to repeat it. Don't let a pretty good option go by (e.g. kids deal, spring benefits, etc) while waiting for something that may not exist.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you look at the thread history, they pulled the costco program so fast; how long was it publically available? like 2weeks?
That implies the costco discount wasn't the deal they actually wanted to do, so don't set your expectations too high that they are going to repeat it. Don't let a pretty good option go by (e.g. kids deal, spring benefits, etc) while waiting for something that may not exist.
Actually it was there about 6 weeks, beginning of July to mid August.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought mine in store locally (MA) at the very end of August. They only had a few left at that time though.

I'm also trying to decide if I should buy now directly from Ikon for the early discount or hold out for Costco again. I contacted my local Costco last week to ask if they would be selling them again, and the reply from the regional (NE) office was the following:

"We are working with IKON to see if we can come to an agreement again with them for this upcoming year to sell that pass again. It was very successful so we are hopeful but its not a definite at this point. We should know more in the next month or two. "

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I bought mine in store locally (MA) at the very end of August. They only had a few left at that time though.

I'm also trying to decide if I should buy now directly from Ikon for the early discount or hold out for Costco again. I contacted my local Costco last week to ask if they would be selling them again, and the reply from the regional (NE) office was the following:

"We are working with IKON to see if we can come to an agreement again with them for this upcoming year to sell that pass again. It was very successful so we are hopeful but its not a definite at this point. We should know more in the next month or two. "
Great, we got a definite maybe. So we have that going for us. LOL

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting response to parse. My personal take, please forgive stream of consciousness brain dump.
Very successful for costco doesn't necessarily mean very successful for Alterra, a pass is access to a limited shared resource not the same as a manufactured product like cookies where you can make more

I don't think costco can offer a sku that will sell out so quickly as it did last year; as it would be unfair if not all members could have access to purchase, so probably are negotiating for a higher quota; but Alterra cant dilute or take too big of a loss vs their own sales either, esp. considering they are a unique product, not substitutable, and this is year two, so the word is already out, eceryone who skied at an ikon resort this year knows about it, no need to cannibalize sales for visibility.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, I predict no costco deal, or at best no significant discount vs buy now, maybe a free chicken at best.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I'm also trying to decide if I should buy now directly from Ikon for the early discount or hold out for Costco again.

It seems to me that if you know you can get a discount to buy now, versus not knowing if you will get a discount to buy later it makes sense to just buy now. But I don’t shop at Costco as they are too busy for me to justify any discount I might receive.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I wait.

It’s a gamble of $100 lose (early purchase saving) vs $200 gain (Costco credit).

For non-Costco member, it’s pointless to say you’ll buy now, because there’s no gain for you.

For all those “waiting” (i.e. not buying right now,”), it also creates pressure on Alterra they need to move those full passes by offering some incentives (e.g. Costco deal). The fewer people buying the full pass early, the higher potential Alterra will “deal” again.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I wait.

It’s a gamble of $100 lose (early purchase saving) vs $200 gain (Costco credit).

For non-Costco member, it’s pointless to say you’ll buy now, because there’s no gain for you.

So they give you a $200 store credit if they run the promo again? I can't stand when companies due this type of stuff versus just giving a product discount. (I understand the reasoning, but I don't like it.)

We actually have a Costco membership, I've been once and refuse to go back since we only have one location up here and its beyond busy. My wife goes 2x a year to get a preservative laced breakfast cake thing that my in-laws insist on having when they visit.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
So they give you a $200 store credit if they run the promo again? I can't stand when companies due this type of stuff versus just giving a product discount. (I understand the reasoning, but I don't like it.)

We actually have a Costco membership, I've been once and refuse to go back since we only have one location up here and its beyond busy. My wife goes 2x a year to get a preservative laced breakfast cake thing that my in-laws insist on having when they visit.
I would, personally, be quite happy with a $200 credit. I actually like Costco but I have 2 relatively close(15-20 minutes) and they’re no more crowded than anywhere else. I buy cheap jeans for work, toilet paper, tools, base layers, ski gloves, rain shells, etc. They also take much better care of their employees than other big box stores. I will, however, avoid it at all costs from mid November to January.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My costco is perfectly fine during the weekdays, it has the same customer flow patterns as safeway which is a worse mess on the weekend afternoons, for example. The crowds in the aisle they cant do anything about but Costco does a better job to staff up on cashiers to match the peak hours, getting all lanes open; and in superpeak times even deploying mobile scanners to help prescan carts in line so checkout is just payment.

I would say if you go so rarely,just for one thing , you maybe better off just cancelling your membership, and asking a friend who has membership to load you a costcocash card for access to buy that 1 special thing 2x a year

Agree that Alterra may be waiting for this first April deadline to complete before deciding what actions to take. I still doubt they will have a better deal, e.g. like the epic guarantee that current price will always be best deal. If it sets a precedent that better deals show up, they will be continually playing this same game every season. Lets see!

Last edited: