• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ikon Pass Dato-metrics

Phredman

The Flying Highlighter
Skier
My Fellow Skiers,

With ikon 23/24 passes going on sale today, I’m trying to find the best time to purchase my pass. That said, I have to wait a few weeks to be able to foot it financially. Anyone know (around) when the first price increase will take place, or have a rough estimate? I know they increase in October but forget if they increase it after spring/before summer. Any insight is helpful! Thanks.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The price increases are all artificial deadlines drive sales not because they are running out of supply.

As a result, they will message and market when the price increases are coming.

So best price is now, but you'll hear about it with at least a couple weeks lead time before it goes up... hearing about it is the whole point of the price increases, not really the incremental profit.

TS
Phredman

Phredman

The Flying Highlighter
Skier
The price increases are all artificial deadlines drive sales not because they are running out of supply.

As a result, they will message and market when the price increases are coming.

So best price is now, but you'll hear about it with at least a couple weeks lead time before it goes up... hearing about it is the whole point of the price increases, not really the incremental profit.
Appreciate you. I’ll stay in the look out.

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
There was a website a while back that tracked all the historical price increases, for both Epic and Ikon. Anyone remember?

TS
Phredman

Phredman

The Flying Highlighter
Skier
You can buy it now and spread the payments out over 3, 6, or 12 months. Zero interest for some plans. Worth looking into if finances are tight.
Yes, thank you! I had to wait until some payments cleared on other things I had on BNPL, as they wanted me to put down $418 and I couldn't swing it, but I looked again Monday and they lowered it to $213. So I was able to pick a 6-month payment plan and avoid interest as well as reap the renewal discount. I was worried about losing the renewal discount and then also having to foot the extra cost after the price increases tomorrow. That would have likely meant a higher downpayment as well! Just glad I was able to snag it before 4/21.

Honestly, I was more surprised at how quickly the Indy Pass came and went--I think it went on sale after April 1 and if I recall went off sale a week or so ago...I guess if you can't get to the epic/ikon mtns or only wanna ski a couple weekends a year, it makes way more sense. I was gonna try and get Indy as well, but wanted to lock in my IKON first and wasnt able to snag it in time. Skier Problems...

TS
Phredman

Phredman

The Flying Highlighter
Skier
^ This: https://parksandtrips.com/current-historic-ikon-lift-pass-prices/

But the more interesting question is when they have price increases during each year. IIRC, there's been a price increase in May and then another some time in the summer. Though the May increase may only be eliminating the renewal discount.
Precisely what I was looking for, some sort of retroactive analysis of when they occurred. This year they've upped the ante a bit both in terms of the pace at which the price is going to go up (4/21 for the first bump, plus expiration of renewal discount), as well as cost (I think the starting price for the highest tier pass was like 14% higher this year than last). I was thinking about why they took this course of action, and my bold prediction is that they're anticipating to sell fewer passes than last year. From my experience this year, I think a lot of skiers/SBs who bought IKON/EPIC in years past didn't use them as much this past season (I have 5 friends who bought full passes and went skiing 3-4 times this year) and are rethinking whether the whole pass makes sense, over a local or 4-day jaunt. That, plus all the noise about lines and whatnot, will push casual skiers and riders away from making a purchase of IKON/EPIC's financial caliber. That's not to say there won't be a ton that are sold, but I think the pandemic-driven surge in people choosing to ski or learn to do so is waning and will affect pass sales of EPIC and IKON. Indy Pass' lower price point inherently mitigates that issue and the fact that it's sold out further bolsters my argument. Just my hypothesis!

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
^ I could tell the exact opposite story, which is that resorts and Ikon expect demand and sales to be stronger this year. Resorts are demanding higher payouts sooner to make it worth their while, so Ikon has reacted. The short discount period allows them to sell without much price increase to the true loyals and charge a higher price to those uncertain. Timing pressure "prices won't last!" is time tested to drive early sales, which is their goal here.

Sponsor