• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

IKON PASS OFFERS THE GOOD STUFF FOR WINTER 23/24 ON MARCH 16....

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Totally agree with you on that.
There have been great deal of resistance from locals regarding the Ikon pass. Management is trying to thread the line between appeasement and making the numbers.
I am there most of the season. My take is the locals are over reacting. It's so easy to blame the Ikon skiers for all the ills.
I guess the big question is...how many days during the season would there be an issue if Ikon holders just showed up and skied. Would it demonstrably affect the mtn experience? I don' know..but I'd be curious. I really do see both sides...but if you pay for a premium pass (which plenty of people don't) should that come with the ability to use your days when you want? We are now getting into a situation where the overarching Ikon pass policy is clashing with local mtn policy. As a consumer, I guess I have to decide how and where to spend my skiing cycles, travel $ etc but it did piss me off to not be able to ski that Sunday when I was in town. Now..I hear DV is changing their policy to be likeTaos's next year? Can anyone confirm?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@fatbob - u mean like a “price increase“ ? I know folks don’t want to hear it, and I’d like to ski for close to nothing, but both mega passes are mega values at the current price points. 8’ish % up every year except 21/22->22/23. Probably could do 10% and still hit targets.

from Storm Ski Journel:

0994C0B1-BA27-497D-AA5A-2FB4E04A6204.jpeg

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I don’t get the whole Base+ thing. For a new client, it is only $110 more for the full and $59 for a renewing pass holder. Why not just pay the extra for a full with no blackout dates and 2 additional days at partner resorts.
For us - $110 more for après. We aren’t skiing during holidays and have been fortunate enough to be able to spend time at multiple places in a year. 5 days and I’m done & on to the next one. But, if I lived in UT or close to one where I get the 2 + and no blackouts - you are definitely right, why not.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t get the whole Base+ thing. For a new client, it is only $110 more for the full and $59 for a renewing pass holder. Why not just pay the extra for a full with no blackout dates and 2 additional days at partner resorts.
I agree. I think there is something wonky with the base+ as the stepup seems too small. I posted in the other thread, there is for sure a glitch with the child pricing in base+ which is as it is listed higher than even the full pass.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I don't get it either.

There're so many mountains to choose from even at the base level. So, unless there's a mountain or 2 they specifically want to ski, simply just stick with the base pass will do nicely.

And if one is looking for the ultimate flexibility, full pass beats the plus for a tiny bit of extra cost. What if that holiday weekend happen to be a powder day?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, we have been quite happy with the base pass. We are considering the full for next year, depending on where the gathering will be held. We are determined to make it happen next year.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So at the macro level, do we think the continued increase in Ikon pass pricing is going to deter some new buyers and/or reduce the existing base of pass holders? Is there any price sensitive where people will opt out? We are in quasi-monopoly territory with only a couple of mega pass providers BUT some locals will choose to buy a pass for their solo mountain as an opt out. There seems to be some sentiment for raising pass prices more to deter volume but is that even gonna work?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
So at the macro level, do we think the continued increase in Ikon pass pricing is going to deter some new buyers and/or reduce the existing base of pass holders? Is there any price sensitive where people will opt out? We are in quasi-monopoly territory with only a couple of mega pass providers BUT some locals will choose to buy a pass for their solo mountain as an opt out. There seems to be some sentiment for raising pass prices more to deter volume but is that even gonna work?
4 digits and a comma for base pass.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I don't get it either.

There're so many mountains to choose from even at the base level. So, unless there's a mountain or 2 they specifically want to ski, simply just stick with the base pass will do nicely.

And if one is looking for the ultimate flexibility, full pass beats the plus for a tiny bit of extra cost. What if that holiday weekend happen to be a powder day?
So what is really wonky is that the Base Pass plus is much more expensive than the full pass for kids and almost the same for youth ... the pricing makes absolutely no sense in those cases. Base Pass Plus is $519 for a child and $319 for under 4. Full Ikon is $369 for a child and $149 for under 4 ... the pricing makes absolutely no sense.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Totally agree with you on that.
There have been great deal of resistance from locals regarding the Ikon pass. Management is trying to thread the line between appeasement and making the numbers.
I am there most of the season. My take is the locals are over reacting. It's so easy to blame the Ikon skiers for all the ills.
Blaming Ikon is very easy at many locations even when it's not the complete picture. Easy target.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Agreed. I want to go to Taos next year. Why on earth would I get the Base Plus over the full pass? $110 isn't nearly enough of a difference in savings to make the Base Plus a logical choice when I get no blackouts and more days.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
38.4 percent!

I'm glad I did it on their first 2 seasons. Totally got my money's worth.

Still excellent value for those who ski a lot. But it's getting more iffy for those of us working stiff who are limited on the number of days we can ski.
There is a pass for you too. Mountain Collective - which next year is supposed to do RFID. On years like this one, where we have had a bunch of stuff going on - we have opted for it. I little more of a hassle as Aspen and JH require reservations - but never had a problem and there is the extra 10 minutes it takes for pass pickup. Skiing Alta/Bird same day was a hassle - now it won’t be,

Sponsor

Staff online