• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

IKON PASS OFFERS THE GOOD STUFF FOR WINTER 23/24 ON MARCH 16....

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
but I think that reservation system needs to be better aligned with the Ikon pass partnership.
Well Taos will not have reservations needed at all next season... so no worries on alignment. (Per The Storm Skiing Journal)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just saying that even with the Ikon pass JH was not overwhelmed with skiers and the locals were very happy to have us there spending $$ as in Jackson winter is actually the off season.
They've changed the accessibility with Ikon the last couple of seasons, presumably to help with the crowds. Before it was available on the base pass, and now it's only the Base Plus with blackouts, or full Ikon.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm surprised by all the comments from people not understanding the point of the base plus pass. If you want to visit one of the resorts that's not available on the base pass, but don't plan to spend more than 5 days anywhere and don't plan to visit during holidays, why in the world would you pay more $ for the full pass? Sure, the full pass is a "better value", but if you don't plan to make use of that value then it's a waste.
Because it’s only $60 more for no blackout days and 7 days at each partner resort. One more 1/2 day at a partner and you break even or one holiday day anywhere.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Totally agree with you on that.
There have been great deal of resistance from locals regarding the Ikon pass. Management is trying to thread the line between appeasement and making the numbers.
I am there most of the season. My take is the locals are over reacting. It's so easy to blame the Ikon skiers for all the ills.

We have been traveling a fair bit this winter (and last winter) and only experience longer lines in special circumstances, like holiday weekends.
If you're a local, then you're not skiing those weekends.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I was just in JH this week and last week. Aside from first thing in the morning and just after lunch the wait for the tram was only 2-3 boats. During out entire stay the hill did not seem overly crowded even on the weekend powder days. Just saying that even with the Ikon pass JH was not overwhelmed with skiers and the locals were very happy to have us there spending $$ as in Jackson winter is actually the off season. View attachment 196166

^ good to hear - maybe the pent up demand has subsided. Also, snow in other parts. What I can say is 2 years ago, it was anywhere from 5-8 boats and if you had an IKON pass visible.…..well, enjoy that.

but yes, Summer is the busy season, and everywhere but tram line people happily take the dollars.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well Taos will not have reservations needed at all next season... so no worries on alignment. (Per The Storm Skiing Journal)
Did you just read this? Seems like this a significant policy change if Taos is doing away with reservations?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you just read this? Seems like this a significant policy change if Taos is doing away with reservations?
"It’s that Taos, one of America’s most spectacular ski areas, will be the seventh Ikon Pass “destination” to leap off the Ikon Base Pass in favor of the Ikon Base Plus Pass. Taos joins Jackson Hole, Aspen-Snowmass, Alta, Deer Valley, Snowbasin, and Sun Valley as Ikon Base exiteers.

To sort of make up for it, Taos will no longer require Ikon Pass reservations."

As far as being a significant policy change, I've always thought the reservation thing was ad hoc and didn't do much (though I have no idea of actual impact) so I thought of it as a very minor policy change.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When we were there, ski school was cancelled on Tuesday and the lifts were delayed for a few hours. Many of us had planned a day off anyway. Mine was Wednesday and I had no trouble changing my Tuesday reservation to Wednesday. @VickiK couldn’t get a reservation for Friday so has to buy a buddy ticket. That’s a problem in my opinion.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as being a significant policy change, I've always thought the reservation thing was ad hoc and didn't do much (though I have no idea of actual impact) so I thought of it as a very minor policy change.

The Taos reservation setup was a royal cluster. Have heard many screw ups with others.

Many instructors told me the MLK visitation numbers underperformed was the reason the released more reservation slots for the President weekend. Probably due to the good snow season in the west. The President weekend was heavier but I wouldn't call it crowded. Especially when compared to other resorts I have visited this season.

Overall, not getting the warm and fuzzy from the current management. Way too corporate for my taste. :nono:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
When all the marketing material says:

IKON PASS: Offering unlimited, 7-day and 7-day combined access at 54 destinations, with no blackout dates

Isn't the "reservation" requirement effectively a blackout? I have never had a problem at either Aspen or JH trying to get a reservation - it did add complexity to travel plans, ie. flights, hotel, etc all predicated on the securing a spot. We don't ski on Holiday weekends but will ski Christmas - we are leaving the hill on the 26th. But other than Taos - has this been a problem? Cant remember if we needed a reservation @ DV 2 years ago when we had a full IKON.

But what are you going to do, right?

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Chiming in...like Pat said above, I couldn't get an Ikon reservation at Taos for that Friday.

Woman in Taos ticket sales told me that if I skied w/o a reservation, that the scan of the Ikon pass would result in a violation. 3 violations, and Ikon would pull my pass (I think she meant for the current year pass, not forever). She advised just taking the violation if I didn't want to buy a ticket. Usually only the bottom lifts scanned the pass.

All ended up well. I was in a women's ski week group and my instructor helped me get a pass for Friday. I was generous with the tip.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Chiming in...like Pat said above, I couldn't get an Ikon reservation at Taos for that Friday.

Woman in Taos ticket sales told me that if I skied w/o a reservation, that the scan of the Ikon pass would result in a violation. 3 violations, and Ikon would pull my pass (I think she meant for the current year pass, not forever). She advised just taking the violation if I didn't want to buy a ticket. Usually only the bottom lifts scanned the pass.

All ended up well. I was in a women's ski week group and my instructor helped me get a pass for Friday. I was generous with the tip.
If you book accommodation through the resort they are also good about getting you the reservation/pass not sure if that is the case when you book through Ikon travel, but have always found their rates are more than if you book direct

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't the "reservation" requirement effectively a blackout?
No, not at all.

A blackout date is pretty clearly a day on which you can't use it at all regardless of any other system or means. That doesn't mean there can't be other limits.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"It’s that Taos, one of America’s most spectacular ski areas, will be the seventh Ikon Pass “destination” to leap off the Ikon Base Pass in favor of the Ikon Base Plus Pass. Taos joins Jackson Hole, Aspen-Snowmass, Alta, Deer Valley, Snowbasin, and Sun Valley as Ikon Base exiteers.

To sort of make up for it, Taos will no longer require Ikon Pass reservations."

Aaah...ok. I knew they were bumping off of Ikon Base....so the tradeoff is that means you won't need reservations. Makes sense.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
No, not at all.

A blackout date is pretty clearly a day on which you can't use it at all regardless of any other system or means. That doesn't mean there can't be other limits.
Meh…if you can’t get a reservation, it’s a blackout. The reservation requirement is the same a throttling data. I guess my point is - the advertising and marketing makes a big deal about access to resorts, they are pretty upfront about the # of days, but you need to dig see which ones require a “reservation“.

should say “subject to availability“ or be asterisk’d.

full disclosure- I’d pay 1,500’ish for it to not have to worry about a reservation across the places we ski.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So at the macro level, do we think the continued increase in Ikon pass pricing is going to deter some new buyers and/or reduce the existing base of pass holders? Is there any price sensitive where people will opt out?
Yes. Skiers like us. 1 or 2 weeks a year, no local use.
Back when it was Max pass, and in the first year of Ikon, easy choice.
But now?
We skied 1 days at Brighton and 2 at Solitude. (Combined with 3 days at Powder mtn and 2 days of backcountr).
Hope to get 2 days in April in Calfornia.
We are about even with our Ikon pass vs buying day/2 pack passes If we do that.

With another price bump, it really stops making sense.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Yes. Skiers like us. 1 or 2 weeks a year, no local use.
Back when it was Max pass, and in the first year of Ikon, easy choice.
But now?
We skied 1 days at Brighton and 2 at Solitude. (Combined with 3 days at Powder mtn and 2 days of backcountr).
Hope to get 2 days in April in Calfornia.
We are about even with our Ikon pass vs buying day/2 pack passes If we do that.

With another price bump, it really stops making sense.
At roughly $200 plus a day for lift tickets, it doesn’t take much to get your money back on an Ikon pass. We are on track to get somewhere between 12-15 days on ours and that is considerably cheaper than any other option.

Sponsor