• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

IKON PASS OFFERS THE GOOD STUFF FOR WINTER 23/24 ON MARCH 16....

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
An interview with the COO of A-Basin earlier this season just said they get "over $10" per Ikon scan, which is the only actual number I can ever remember reading.

Edit to add link:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wouldn't there be some kind of floor besides the per scan amount? Otherwise, it negates the benefit of selling passes, which is certainty against a bad snow year. Passes were always cheaper than day tickets at a certain amount of days because it gives the resorts a guaranteed base and puts at least part of the risk on the user. If a resort is only getting paid once a pass is scanned it wouldn't be worth it. Makes sense if there is a percentage share of the overall pass sales (based on what I dont know, maybe past average volume?) And then a piece of each scan on top of that. There must be some public corporate docume to that explain that compensation .:huh:

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
One point on the A Basin piece. It wasn't clear to me if they are saying Ikon is paying A Basin over $10 or if Epic used to pay them more than $10 and now Ikon pays triple that. I kind thought of it was the latter? Reasons I'm not a lawyer.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
One point on the A Basin piece. It wasn't clear to me if they are saying Ikon is paying A Basin over $10 or if Epic used to pay them more than $10 and now Ikon pays triple that. I kind thought of it was the latter? Reasons I'm not a lawyer.

It would seem he's referring to Epic being more than $10 per scan. Otherwise at triple the Eoic scan, it would imply each Epic scan was over $3.33 which seems absurdly low. But who knows, he could have stated a really low number nowhere near the actual.

The economics of the Ikon pass is intriguing. I wonder if the amount ski resorts receive per scan is also a factor of how often a skier uses the pass at partner resorts to protect Alterra from losing money on the pass or conversely give the partner resort even .more money if the pass was only used at the partner resort. It would make sense to structure it that way.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My understanding is these contracts are held a bit close to the vest, and custom for each partnership. Sure, there are probably some common options and levers they start with, but it's still unique enough that they wheel and deal to craft each deal based on market conditions.

I imagine it's a bit like Shark Tank, where the usual starting offer template is investment $ for equity, but sometimes the deal ends up a different format based on the whims of the human playmakers in the negotiating room.

Certainly, it's not like they all get together and vote on a collective profit-sharing common deal(maybe mtn collective does?).

Last edited:

Bob V

Booting up
Skier
I still have old (pre-rfid) day tickets for Sunday River / Sugarloaf / Loon which I got by presenting my Ikon Pass a few years ago... On each ticket it was written "50 $". Not sure if this is what Boyne was actually paid (seem quite high if you go to resort partner a lot)...

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A Solitude person told me that one of the reasons Solitude (alterra owned) plans to stay open well into May this year (besides the deep snowpack) is that because once it closes Alterra must pay something like $100 for every person that goes to Snowbird (ikon partner but not alterra owned) instead of skiing at Solitude.

An interview with the COO of A-Basin earlier this season just said they get "over $10" per Ikon scan, which is the only actual number I can ever remember reading.

Edit to add link:

Don't quote me on my $100 as I could be way off. It;s just hearsay from a Soli employee. But, whatever the number is, Solitude is highly motivated to stay open later to grab back some of the late spring business that goes to Snowbird.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For various reasons, we want to hold off as long as possible before renewing our Ikon. We do want the lowest rate though. Has anybody heard when prices will go up?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
For various reasons, we want to hold off as long as possible before renewing our Ikon. We do want the lowest rate though. Has anybody heard when prices will go up?
I actually spoke with their customer service yesterday and they said they would send us a reminder before the price goes up but likely that would be some time in later April/Early May.

I also found out that they do offer group discounts, but that these only apply to new purchases, not renewals and the group discount is less than the renewal discount. However on the plus side, when the group reaches specific $$ levels of spent Alterra rewards the group with a free pass. Not sure the group discount does much for most of us.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Didn't get an email that I saw but we did get a snail mail card with same info.

dovski

Skier
We just renewed for the entire family. Price goes up every year but still a good deal for us as the alternative is not viable. Now the real question is do we augment with an Edge card so we can ski Whistler next season.

Even with my injury this season cutting out about 6-7 days of Ikon pass usage I still got in 10 days which makes it worth it for me Next year we will get close to 20 days on the pass so even better value.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Received an email regarding Ikon prices. We have until 4/21 to renew and get the discount.
Website says "through 4/20". I think I will buy mine by the 19th just to be sure I'm not off by one, rather than figuring out which is the last day.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Website says "through 4/20". I think I will buy mine by the 19th just to be sure I'm not off by one, rather than figuring out which is the last day.
I reread the email and it says prices go up on 4/21, so 4/20 would be the last day for the discount. Sorry for the confusion. I renewed mine last week.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They have an interest and fee free option to make 6 monthly payments. Takes some of the sting out of the increase.

What is an Edge card @dovski ?

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They have an interest and fee free option to make 6 monthly payments. Takes some of the sting out of the increase.

Are you sure? They use affirm for the payment company. I looked into it but it would have cost $100 more per pass so I just paid the whole thing. They advertise super low interest but then affirm decides how much the interest will be. We have excellent credit so I was surprised..

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are you sure? They use affirm for the payment company. I looked into it but it would have cost $100 more per pass so I just paid the whole thing. They advertise super low interest but then affirm decides how much the interest will be. We have excellent credit so I was surprised..
That's strange. We did Affirm last year and it was 0% and $0. I haven't renewed ours yet. Leaning toward the base (we had full this year).

dovski

Skier

An Edge card is a special pass available to WA and BC residents for Whistler. It comes in 2 5 and 10 day increments. Price super cheap and with the 5 and 10 day cards you can use 40% of your days at another Vail resort, plus if you buy early you get unlimited skiing at Whistler until Dec 15 and your prepaid days after that. Last year the 5 day pass came in around $300 US. Basically the best deal to ski Whistler if you do not want an EPIC pass. We used to get these every year and ski Thanksgiving at Whistler followed by mid winter break

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January