• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

IKON pass reservations

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Look for A-basin to screw you over the same way. That's what they did when they reopened in the spring.

A-basin had limited capacity, and they sold day tickets rather than allotting all the capacity to pass holders. Both A-basin pass holders and Ikon pass holders got the shaft.

I wouldn't count on being able to use your Ikon pass at A-basin any busy times, especially in April and May after the other resorts close.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I tried to use the reservation system on Ikon today.
Was looking at Big Sky. The reservation system claims “all reservations full”.
This is for the entire week of Presidents’ Day, including weekdays and the following Saturday.

I find it hard to believe that they would be filled up for that entire timeframe already.
I have a suspicion, they are limiting the Ikon users. Pretty shitty after ponying up for the full Ikon Pass in order to acces resorts like Big Sky on Presidents’ Day specifically.

For example, Aspen is not ‘full’ on any of those days. Hard to imagine Big Sky filling up sooner than Aspen.

Anyone have any insight on that?

They won't even give you a Ikon reservation if you book lodging at their properities. Was thinking about driving to Big Sky instead of flying somewhere, that idea got completely crushed when I couldn't even get a reservation.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Annnnd this particular cluster comes into ever sharper relief.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm now waiting for the chamber of commerce poster who tells me and my $900 that we should feel bad for Alterra because of Covid.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I tried to use the reservation system on Ikon today.
Was looking at Big Sky. The reservation system claims “all reservations full”.
This is for the entire week of Presidents’ Day, including weekdays and the following Saturday.

I find it hard to believe that they would be filled up for that entire timeframe already.
I have a suspicion, they are limiting the Ikon users. Pretty shitty after ponying up for the full Ikon Pass in order to acces resorts like Big Sky on Presidents’ Day specifically.

For example, Aspen is not ‘full’ on any of those days. Hard to imagine Big Sky filling up sooner than Aspen.

Anyone have any insight on that?

I know this doesn't help your situation and it's definitely a bummer but I'd take the Aspen mountains, or majority of the Ikon mountains, over Big Sky any day.

But regardless, that's really sucks if that's not a glitch and they really are turning away ikon reservations.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They won't even give you a Ikon reservation if you book lodging at their properities. Was thinking about driving to Big Sky instead of flying somewhere, that idea got completely crushed when I couldn't even get a reservation.
Exactly the same for us, from Duluth. Don’t want to fly, so driving limits us to Big Sky, Steamboat and Summit County Colorado. I figured Big Sky would be the quietest, since many more people live within driving range of Colorado than Big Sky.

I know this doesn't help your situation and it's definitely a bummer but I'd take the Aspen mountains, or majority of the Ikon mountains, over Big Sky any day.

But regardless, that's really sucks if that's not a glitch and they really are turning away ikon reservations.
Hmm, I have a friend here, who loves Big Sky, skis there every year.
We specifically bought the full Ikon pass to be able to ski Aspen . We went their last year for the first time and loved it, and we have friends there, that we stayed with. But the way COVID is shaping up, flying is out for us, and staying with friends certainly is, so Aspen is out (unless some miracle happens for spring break).
Driving to Big Sky is 15:50, Aspen is 19:40

Last edited:
TS
Beartown

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Exactly the same for us, from Duluth. Don’t want to fly, so driving limits us to Big Sky, Steamboat and Summit County Colorado. I Fiugered Big Sky would be the quietest, since many more people live within driving range of Colorado than Big Sky.

Hmm, I have a friend here, who loves Big Sky, skis there every year.
We specifically bought the full Ikon pass to be able to ski Aspen . We went their last year for the first time and loved it, and we have friends there, that we stayed with. But the way COVID is shaping up, flying is out for us, and staying with friends certainly is, so Aspen is out (unless some miracle happens for spring break).
Driving to Big Sky is 15:50, Aspen is 19:40

This year's messed up. Nothing "normal" about it. Had to change my standard game plan for the season, including my calculus about what's "too far to drive". I live in Minneapolis, and am sitting in Grand Targhee right now (about 19 hrs). Two pretty long days of driving, but most ski areas I go to are two days no matter what. For me, that's the main thing. I'm not driving three days to get anywhere (unless it's for a few weeks), but two days is two days whether I'm driving eight hours or twelve. I'm planning on driving to Aspen, Jackson (again), Big Sky, Copper, and Winter Park this season. Usually would hit Mammoth, Tahoe, and Banff, but those aren't in the cards this year. For me, it's been an easy decision, because the alternatives involve flying in COVID times or not skiing at all. Probably different for others. Everybody's gotta do what they feel is the best for themselves, their health, and their family.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That only ever applied to the mountains Ikon/Alterra owns... the big ones being Winter Park, Copper, Mammoth, and Squalpine. Every other Ikon pass mountain was/is free to do whatever they think is best. (Though even in the case of the Ikon owned places, Copper is requiring parking reservations, as opposed to lift ticket reservations.)

I'm curious if that will hold through the winter though.

Just for clarity, Copper is a Powdr resort and an Ikon partner.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought only Alterra owned properties were a full season pass.

Yes. No. Maybe.

1606763271948.png

Of all the resorts on the 20/21 Ikon unlimited access list. Altera owned all with the exception of Copper & Eldora. They are owned by Powdr.

1606763292742.png

The 7 day list are all partner resorts with the exception of Deer Valley. Altera owned Deer Valley.

Miljack

Booting up
Skier
This very reason is why we opted out of Ikon passes this year. We had a planned trip (flying) to Aspen, with the situation, holding a day pass issued by the resort itself, very early after opening, seemed like a better option than a "reservation" from Ikon on an "allocated" resort for them...
I hope all with Ikon or Epic passes do ok this season with their plans!

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wonder if they will open up more reservations when more snow comes and the resorts can be fully opened up. Either that or covid needs to go on a serious decline and I'm not sure vaccines can get us there soon enough.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone know....If you make reservations and then cancel within the nonpenalty window and otherwise do not use the pass, can you still defer by April 11th?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if they will open up more reservations when more snow comes and the resorts can be fully opened up. Either that or covid needs to go on a serious decline and I'm not sure vaccines can get us there soon enough.

Open up reservations? Please, no. Even with reservations in place, Crystal (WA) has been packed, parking lots full and lift lines of 15 minutes+ during midweek as well as weekends. Most of the mountain is open.

Similar situation at Stevens Pass. Any day with new snow the crowds come, since people working from home have more flexibility to ski on weekdays.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone know....If you make reservations and then cancel within the nonpenalty window and otherwise do not use the pass, can you still defer by April 11th?
My understanding is yes.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Open up reservations? Please, no. Even with reservations in place, Crystal (WA) has been packed, parking lots full and lift lines of 15 minutes+ during midweek as well as weekends. Most of the mountain is open.

Similar situation at Stevens Pass. Any day with new snow the crowds come, since people working from home have more flexibility to ski on weekdays.

Maybe not everywhere but you have places like Big Sky that are massive and you can't get a reservation for half of January or February. I barely got a few reservations this weekend and hardly waited in any lift line today, with half of their lifts running and Bridger having pretty much no snow.

Last edited:

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is April 11 the Ikon defer date? I'm wondering if you ski after that date, is the Ikon pass you "deferred" for the 20/21 season count toward the 21/22 season?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
If it is so difficult to get a reservation, do you really want to ski there anyhow?
Vail today looked pretty crowded to me.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is April 11 the Ikon defer date? I'm wondering if you ski after that date, is the Ikon pass you "deferred" for the 20/21 season count toward the 21/22 season?
Just a guess, but if you defer, your pass is probably invalidated, and you can't ski after April 11th.