• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Ikon RFID

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
So this is the first year that we have purchased the Ikon- got the base pass and will use the crap out of it on our trip to Utah and Colorado. :)

I have a couple questions- which resorts in these locations use RFID readers?
We will be skiing at Alta/Bird, Solitude, Brighton, DV, Steamboat, Copper, A Basin, Eldora?

We just recently went to Snowshoe in WV and I put the pass in my arm pocket, but they don't have RFID readers, only bar code readers- and had to keep removing it on the first day- well half the time they just let us go through and didn't bother scanning. Attached on the outside of my jacket the next day which worked better.

So if the resort doesn't have RFID what is everyone using to attach the pass and make it easy to show.
This leads me to my next question- how do they prevent the misuse of the pass? Meaning- How do they know it's actually the pass owner using the pass? With RFID readers they don't see the picture on the pass.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
So this is the first year that we have purchased the Ikon- got the base pass and will use the crap out of it on our trip to Utah and Colorado. :)

I have a couple questions- which resorts in these locations use RFID readers?
We will be skiing at Alta/Bird, Solitude, Brighton, DV, Steamboat, Copper, A Basin, Eldora?

We just recently went to Snowshoe in WV and I put the pass in my arm pocket, but they don't have RFID readers, only bar code readers- and had to keep removing it on the first day- well half the time they just let us go through and didn't bother scanning. Attached on the outside of my jacket the next day which worked better.

So if the resort doesn't have RFID what is everyone using to attach the pass and make it easy to show.
This leads me to my next question- how do they prevent the misuse of the pass? Meaning- How do they know it's actually the pass owner using the pass? With RFID readers they don't see the picture on the pass.
AFAIK all of the places you listed now have RFID readers. Your picture comes up on the liftie's screen which is much easier to see than the picture on the pass.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I posted in the other discussion on people sharing passes/aka defrauding the resort:

---
The ikon resorts plus most other resorts that aren't vail are pretty much all using SKIDATA system. So they all have that capability to see everything on the tablets. And VR Epic has their in-house system that also provides everything too

Here is info page on SKIDATA's gates:

If you scroll down you can link through and find their infosheet on the Photo Compare Fraud feature:
https://www.skidata.com/?type=200&f...FEB399667EBF0AD174B68FFABEC9F9AB801AB014EE4B9

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
We don't have RFID at Tremblant. I carry my pass on a keyring that is attached to a locking carabiner and the ring that is in my left pocket for a ticket. I can easily move the pass with the carabiner to another jacket if I want.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I never have problems with RFID. Just keep your upper pockets empty of anything else. I actually wear my Ikon on a lanyard. Sometimes have to twist to get it to read but never gotten stuck at a gate.

The only one I can think of without the gates is Stratton in Vermont. Loon used to make you get a day ticket with the Ikon but I think they have gates now. Can't think of any out west that doesn't have them.

TS
Chip

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@raytseng
Thanks for the link- that explains it very well. Kind of makes it tough to share if not impossible when using RFID- the scanning of the barcode- not so much, especially when they don't even look at the picture.
I would rather keep my pass in a pocket, so that's good to hear that all the resorts I'll be going to have RFID readers.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a page that tells you about direct to lift or not at
https://www.ikonpass.com/en/how-to-use-your-ikon-pass

Almost everywhere is direct-to-lift now, with only a very few where you have to go to the ticket window first. (In the early years of Ikon there were a lot more.)
The page doesn't specifically address show-it vs rfid, but it says to keep the pass in a pocket by itself which is a pretty good hint.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
A-Basin's RFID pass readers seem really finicky so I'd try and have it somewhere that you can easily wave around like the arm pocket vs chest.