• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Impreza vs Crosstrek

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Maaaaybe the OP can find a used one for a price comparable to the Impreza/Crosstrek, but I’d wager the maintenance costs would be higher, plus higher mileage, plus, if he’s financing the car, it’s easier to do that for a new car. He asked about 2 Subarus.

I’ve had 2 Imprezas….a 2007 and a 2012. I really liked both cars; don’t recall the trim level. I ran snow tires on both, and never had problems in snow, and I drove through quite a few bad storms here in the East. My 2007 had manual transmission. Isn’t the Impreza available with a manual anymore? If not, too bad!

I used my 2007 for a TON of whitewater kayaking trips….driving down “roads” to river put-ins that were riddled with potholes, etc. Never had a problem.

I really think that if the OP is satisfied with the 2.0 engine, then the Impreza is the way to go. I’ve driven both the new Impreza and Crosstrek, and I think the Impreza handles better….it feels more sporty.

For sure, the maintenance costs would be higher...but honestly I don't think a lot of things go wrong with that vintage of Volvo (e.g. they're much more reliable than an equivalent Audi or BMW, for whatever that's worth). Of course, it's ultimately one's priorities: for me, the added power, seat comfort, and sense of "heft" of the Volvo outweighed the advantages of a similarly priced newer Subaru with the latest active safety and infotainment features. That said, I would agree any Impreza/Crosstrek remains a great buy.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wildcard to throw in: they're rare, but if you can find one, check out a 2015-2016 Volvo V60 or, better yet, V60 Cross Country, but only with the 5-cylinder/6-speed auto drivetrain (skip the newer 4-cylinder/8-speeds). Excellent used car value, very well-made, last of the tried-and-true Volvo's before they got overly complicated, post-Geely takeover.

Excellent power, excellent seats, runs on Regular. If I were shopping something the size of a Crosstrek, I would skip it and go straight to used V60. It's simply a ton of car for the money and a heckuva ski car. (Full disclosure: I own a V60 T6 R-design, which is wonderful, but if i had to do it over again, i'd have gone with a T5 Cross Country!)

For sure, the maintenance costs would be higher...but honestly I don't think a lot of things go wrong with that vintage of Volvo (e.g. they're much more reliable than an equivalent Audi or BMW, for whatever that's worth). Of course, it's ultimately one's priorities: for me, the added power, seat comfort, and sense of "heft" of the Volvo outweighed the advantages of a similarly priced newer Subaru with the latest active safety and infotainment features. That said, I would agree any Impreza/Crosstrek remains a great buy.

Ref. Volvo XC70 (11m46s)

Sponsor

Staff online