• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In Between Ski (Stockli AX and Liberty Genesis 106) (long;sorry)

James

Out There
Instructor
@DebbieSue now has two skis!
Since skis are not gizmos, she’s allowed to keep stockpiling.

I don’t get the question, you have a 78mm ski and a 106mm ski, and you wonder if you should get something else?
Yes.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
FWIW, my wife is a wee bit heavier than you, and for resort pow, she never expresses any desire for a ski wider than her ~100 mm Sheevas.

She floats better on those than I do on a 108!

Has Mrs. K ever played with touring-adjacent skis?

He did, but thought the Blaze 94 (not 96, my error) might be too much like her Liberty ski.

Not in a way that could be construed as a recco...interesting.

The only other entry on my thread tick list (aside from touring-adjacent) would be other boutique skis (4FRNT MSP 91? ON3P?)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
I completely agree with you, you need a daily driver for the Rocky Mountains! This thread gets into a little of what you are talking about, but for a much larger person. I would agree with Rustler 9, with the caveat that I've never been on it. If Kästle ever makes a ZX92, this is another answer. The 100 is just a little too wide, but the combination of playfulness and heartiness is what you need. I think there are a lot of possibilities, in fact.

eta: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334316592776 This is what I used for no-new-snow days for a long time. I sold it (twice, because I bought it twice) only because I am not skiing as much as I used to and I just wanted to simplify the quiver. I am on the Montero AX, SR 95, and ZX108 right now for in-bounds, and it's pretty good. There are a few times I might want a slightly more skiddable 90s ski, but I have the SR figured out there pretty well. I was attempting to ski the AX more off piste, but took a long slide after a fall on some steeps, so I'm just going back to skidding around in steep off piste.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I completely agree with you, you need a daily driver for the Rocky Mountains! This thread gets into a little of what you are talking about, but for a much larger person. I would agree with Rustler 9, with the caveat that I've never been on it. If Kästle ever makes a ZX92, this is another answer. The 100 is just a little too wide, but the combination of playfulness and heartiness is what you need. I think there are a lot of possibilities, in fact.

heartiness (n): ?????

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
And, is it normal to need to take a day to go from one to the other? It seems like the first day back on either of my skis I feel like I have to relearn how to ski them. Once I do, I think, "I should just ski these all the time!" Until I get on the other pair and a day later feel the same about them.

I know nothing about the skis you are trying but I can address the issue of relearning how to ski after switching. Like everyone else I have quite a quiver of skis that I have collected but what I do now 95% of the time is pack the same 2 sets of skis which are Stockli AR's and Moment Wildcats, sometimes skiing both on the same day. Initially I found that there was a run or two of getting to know a ski again. I've gotten better to where I don't notice it much anymore as mentally I remember which style each ski likes when I first click into the bindings. Stockli's like to be driven hard, fast and lots of boot pressure (unless in deep snow) the Wildcats have a more centered stance poppy surfy and on hardpack handle well but I have to back off the carving pressure just a tad or at the very least stay more centered. I like this 2 ski quiver as I'd be happy on either one in any snow condition but my preference is to be on the best ski at the time.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oh, I figured you made it up I'm just seeing if I can use it to my advantage.

I would never have conceived of using it in a ski context as that word is too - Brian Blessed. So now I am imagining Brian B. channeling a ski... *Z Cars theme fades into Black Adder*

Anyway, no love for Head Kores or Atomic Maverick/Mavens?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor

I would never have conceived of using it in a ski context as that word is too - Brian Blessed. So now I am imagining Brian B. channeling a ski... *Z Cars theme fades into Black Adder*

Heh. Well, I bet that Atomic would be good but personally I have no experience on it.

I am liking "heartiness" more and more now ... it's how I think of my ZX108s, friendly but full of substance, doesn't let you down when the going gets tough, but doesn't overwhelm, either. Most skis are described like this, in a lot of ways, but these are the best example I ever found.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone know if there is an A-Basin Mothers Day gathering this year? Maybe I can get a chance to try a few of these from the Pug Mobile store.

In any case, I have a good list of skis to demo if I can find them. Hopefully before the very end of season so catch year end deal
@DebbieSue now has two skis!
Since skis are not gizmos, she’s allowed to keep stockpiling.

I don’t get the question, you have a 78mm ski and a 106mm ski, and you wonder if you should get something else?
Yes.
Exactly. Both skis are great at what they do, but both are less great for when conditions approach the other's preferred mileiu. And those are the most typical conditions encountered. So I could replace the powder skis with something off piste-ish that can still be fun on a packed groomer; I could replace the 78s with something that is still piste oriented but can be decent in manky or boot top off piste. Or I could add a third specialty ski for those conditions. But I would prefer a one quiver ski for most days with the other two in reserve for the less typical all day groomer or fresh and deep. Since the Libertys are the older ski of the two, I would lean toward replacing them first.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Atomic Maven 93 is a fun ski. Very capable but easy. Not sure a 93 is where the OP wants to go with width, especially at her height. Not sure how I'd like it if I had to use it carving groomers.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon stance 88 if you like em damp and ready for tipnrip. The 2022 qst lumen 92 and if you want metal free, stupid easy to ski, and amazing versatility.

Someone mentioned the Fischer 82 rc one, it's more a replacement for the srockli ax than a complementary piece

James

Out There
Instructor
The Stance 90 is a pretty nice balance of things - carve vs not. But no idea in smaller lengths.

You should demo some widths and lengths of skis. Like low to mid 80’s vs high 80’s, same with 90’s. Then your preferences will come out. The rest is fine tuning.

For instance, I’d probably have to go into an asylum if you forced me to ski a 96 all day all the time in the east. Just repulsive. Forget foot tipping, you’ve got a tree underneath. Too hard to glide around and have fun.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
You should demo some widths and lengths of skis. Like low to mid 80’s vs high 80’s, same with 90’s. Then your preferences will come out. The rest is fine tuning.
I was about to say this … we all have our preferences, I do like a wider base than 80s for my DD but others don’t. It depends on a million things, give or take.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No East skiing. Do hope to ski the midwest with grandkids next season in which case I woukd just bring the AXs.

James

Out There
Instructor
The point is you need to decide for yourself what you like in the category. There’s a huge range between 78mm and 106. If you walk into the store of that guy in the other thread, you’ll end up with a 102.

Sponsor

Staff online