• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In Between Ski (Stockli AX and Liberty Genesis 106) (long;sorry)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
There’s a huge range between 78mm and 106. If you walk into the store of that guy in the other thread, you’ll end up with a 102.

I think most in this thread are visualising the two skis as endpoints on a line.

Speaking closer to your point above, there is a possibility that an intermediate waist width will bring something to the table neither that specific 78 nor that specific 106 have.

It seems to me the proper job of this thread to distinguish between skis that sit on the line and skis that do something whack and unexpected. Like Dynastar Slicers :D

James

Out There
Instructor
Nothing unexpected about the Slicers other than brain dead and boring.

I mean something like the Pagoda DPS90 RP could fit the Swiss army knife desire. You’d have to demo though at that price, and it could be hard to find out there.

There’s just way too many variables here in what someone likes. You need some data points.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
There’s just way too many variables here in what someone likes. You need some data points.

I got that. We're not trying to say anything about 'like' or 'dislike'.

The data points are the AX and the Genesis. What skis of intermediate width would bring something to the table that neither of those have?

For example - @tromano remembers the old all-carbon Atomic Vantage 86Ti; what skis would bring a similar light GS feel to the table?

Last edited:
TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I completely agree that demoing is ideal @James ...

[I have had one terrible experience buying a ski based on reviews w/o trying first (Solomon Soul 7 with the ugly girl on the topsheet) and one great experience (laser AX).]

But the choices have to be narrowed down and, as you pointed out, demoing is not always possible.

All this as a prelude to answer your question, what sort of data points might I provide?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
I completely agree that demoing is ideal @James ...

[I have had one terrible experience buying a ski based on reviews w/o trying first (Solomon Soul 7 with the ugly girl on the topsheet) and one great experience (laser AX).]

But the choices have to be narrowed down and, as you pointed out, demoing is not always possible.

All this as a prelude to answer your question, what sort of data points might I provide?
If you do end up making it this way next week, are we BSL buddies? 266? If so, you are welcome to try my Nela 88s and my Santa Ana 93s. The Santa Anas might fill that slot you are trying to fill nicely. The Nelas are pretty directional.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you do end up making it this way next week, are we BSL buddies? 266? If so, you are welcome to try my Nela 88s and my Santa Ana 93s. The Santa Anas might fill that slot you are trying to fill nicely. The Nelas are pretty directional.
That is generous if you Amy. But it looks like we're sticking with the relative snow desert of Winter Park. My cousins are coming up and so we will ski with them here. No road trip to powder sadly. Ah the things we do for family! Actually we really like these folks so its worth it. Maybe next season?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
That is generous if you Amy. But it looks like we're sticking with the relative snow desert of Winter Park. My cousins are coming up and so we will ski with them here. No road trip to powder sadly. Ah the things we do for family! Actually we really like these folks so its worth it. Maybe next season?
I'm sad you won't make it out, but hope things are going OK there. Next season for sure!

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier

Anyway, no love for Head Kores or Atomic Maverick/Mavens?
A random employee in a shop I don’t remember said Mavericks are “just ski” implying they kind of middle of the road nothing special.

On the other hand, an older prolific skier I talked to on a chair liked his Mavericks better than his old Vantage(?).

That’s all research I got on that. Think there was a review of them on this site.

Pasha

Skier

Every year I promise myself to get to Taos in early December for demo days. Every year something gets in a way.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
If Kästle ever makes a ZX92, this is another answer.
Soooon….real soon.

Also, I am quite the Princess and Pea when it comes to skis, so It's tough to not demo first. That, however, is impractical with the Stocklis and impossible with the Peaks.
If you’re not okay with the idea of buying a ski and selling it if you hate it…I would stick to skis you can try first. There are so many good skis out there that I’m sure with some demoing you’ll find something that fits the bill.

I think the Genesis 90 will ski too much like the 106, it skis like a narrow freeride ski. The Evolv 90 will have a lot of crossover with your Stockli, it skis like a wide carver. Based on the descriptions you provided in the OP, I’d recommend seeking out a Fischer Ranger 90 or the Rossignol Rallybird 92 (or the Sender 94Ti for a bit more stiffness and stability). They both carve well, but also swivel thru bumps and trees. Both these skis really shine in the “in between” conditions…not hard pack and not powder…just “everyday” conditions.

Pasha

Skier
@Jerez another thread reminded me of Elan Ripsticks - could be worth taking a look for your style of skiing.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Jerez another thread reminded me of Elan Ripsticks - could be worth taking a look for your style of skiing.
This I wouldn't necessarily recommend if the idea is to have consistency with the other skis, or for the advanced skier who doesn't need a huge crutch to have more fun in deeper snow.

I actually demoed that too, and I even took out the ripsticks 94 w version. It's amphibio turn-in is very easy, but it takes a bit to get used to and is unique and a little bit to switch back compared to the rest of the non-amphibio fleet.

If you need help to learn powder or small enough that a 94 or 102 is going to your powder ski the ripstick would be a good match, but if you already have a powder ski not as good of a match for the middle ski.

Last edited:
TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No powder training wheels needed. Thanks for clarification.

Will add the Fischerand Rossi Rallyburd to the list.

I do think if I can demo 3 or 4 of these skis I wil find one that fits.

Thank you fellow crazed addicts!

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took a leap and purchased Peak 88s from @salvatore . He offered too good a deal. Thanks Sal!

Don't know when I will have a chance to find out if it was a good decision until it finally decides to snow. It has been so dry that I am even grateful that it is raining today!

Next decision is bindings.
I have sprained and fractured my knee skiing some years ago so maybe Tyrolia Protector? Some have suggested demo bindings on Peaks to be able to tweak the mount point. Do Protectors allow for that? Are they are mounted on a plate, does that interfere with the whole Keyhole gizmo thing?

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I took a leap and purchased Peak 88s from @salvatore . He offered too good a deal. Thanksn Sal!

Don't know when I will have a chance to find out if it was a good decision until it finally decides to snow. It has been so dry that I am even grateful that it is raining today!

Next decision is bindings.
I have sprained and fractured my knee skiing some years ago so maybe Tyrolia Protector? Some have suggested demo bindings on Peaks to be able to tweak the mount point. Do Protectors allow for that? Are they are mounted on a plate, does that interfere with the whole Keyhole gizmo thing?
Ooooh. Fun.

Pasha

Skier
@Jerez After re-reading your original post about difficulties switching between skis, may I ask: do you do any drills when getting on new skis? I found that falling leaf is great for adapting fore-aft stance to new sticks. Pivot slips and hockey stops are always good to feel the new edges.

Sponsor

Staff online