• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In Historic Move, Vail Resorts Reduces All Pass Prices by 20 Percent Toward Goal of "Epic for Everyone"

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As I posted in another thread, this is great news. I’m an Ikon pass holder living on the Front Range and skiing primarily Summit County.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
As I posted in another thread, this is great news. I’m an Ikon pass holder living on the Front Range and skiing primarily Summit County.

so do you consider it great because you expect it to relieve crowding from Ikon resorts? Or is this making you think you will buy Epic next year?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Do they think the masses will jump from Ikon to Epic? I'd jump the other way, but I think I'll try to stick to the independents at least here in the NE.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
so do you consider it great because you expect it to relieve crowding from Ikon resorts? Or is this making you think you will buy Epic next year?

I think (hope) that the ~10 day a season Front Range skier who was on the fence between Ikon/Epic has had that decision made for them, thus relieving some crowding at Ikon resorts — especially Steamboat. Honestly, I don’t notice the crowds too much because I only ski midweek and know how to avoid the masses. I will not buy an Epic pass.

VictorP

Booting up
Skier
Park City was a disaster this season in terms of crowding... can only imagine how much worse it will be next year. Definitely NOT getting Epic.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Park City was a disaster this season in terms of crowding... can only imagine how much worse it will be next year. Definitely NOT getting Epic.

Wait but I thought DV was a biggerer disaster cos of Ikon (source : any "local" just ask them) - so no options in SLC area then.

VictorP

Booting up
Skier
Wait but I thought DV was a biggerer disaster cos of Ikon (source : any "local" just ask them) - so no options in SLC area then.

DV is the only resort I can do on Saturdays in PC/SLC; it is MUCH better than the rest in terms of crowds

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
The price reduction of the Epic pass actually makes me less inclined to buy one, given all the liftageddon pictures I saw this season. With the price cut Epic resorts should be even more crowded next year.

I had the Ikon pass for the first two years. Didn't buy one this season since I didn't plan to travel (and didn't change that plan) I spent ten days in SLC last season, and the mega-pass made things so crowded that I doubt I'll return, which is a shame because I used to love the SLC resorts. Two years ago, the first of the Ikon pass, the crowds were not that bad - of course this is an apples-to-oranges comparison since SLC <> Banff <> Big Sky.

I'll probably renew the Ikon this season, but not sure where to go or whether to buy the base or full version. Maybe go back to ala carte at the non mega pass resorts, who most likely will be offering some kind of deal to stay competitive. I'll definitely re-up for my two local passes, but after 95 days at only two resorts this season I really do need to go somewhere else.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Doesn‘t do anything for me. I could benefit from an Epic pass....ski their ”mountains” here in PA, and use it for travel. But, that one day I spent at Vail-owned Jack Frost this year completely turned me off. There was virtually no effort on their part to make any investments in order to make the Covid mitigations more comfortable for their patrons. The two independent areas I skied at here did a FAR better job.....exponentially better job, in fact.

And it matters not that conditions next year may not require Covid mitigation.

When I go skiing at a mountain, I want to feel that my business is valued. I don’t pay to be treated like chopped liver. As I get older and a bit crankier ;) I tend to use my wallet to make more statements about things I disagree with.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Mom?? Is that you?!?
My mom's home made chopped liver was so good that it could never be used as a metaphor for something that is disrespected.:)

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My mom's home made chopped liver was so good that it could never be used as a metaphor for something that is disrespected.:)
Sorry! Actually, my mom’s was good, too. I just didn’t appreciate it as I should when I was a kid.
I borrowed the phrase from my beloved niece (who’s more like a sister) who got it from her mom, my SIL. They didn’t grow up with my mom’s liver and onions. ;)

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Epic and Ikon don't work for me locally. We got 7 Springs' Highland Pass good at all 3 with some freebies and discounts regionally and nationally. I'm thinking of doing an Indy Pass for second-tier mountains that hopefully are a lot less crowded. Maybe the MCP might work for us. We'll have to check the options in more detail.

Sponsor

Staff online