• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"In my neck of the woods" "Around here" "Where I live" -- How about an actual location?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just a small vent: Please post your location when referring to conditions/events in an area. "Around here" "In my neck of the woods" "My local hill" just doesn't cut it. You can update your profile with a location, or include the location when appropriate for the post.

I get sort of frustrated when there are posts referring to vague notions of locations......

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What you're asking for makes sense from a "region" point of view. For example, "southern Colorado" or "northern New England." My profile says "Maine."

However, lots of people are understandably sensitive about how much detail about their personal lives they put out on the open internet for any and all to see, including employers, insurers, trolls, exes, etc.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Click on location and get a Google map. Excellent linkage. Click on sat view for giggles. Our place is above the breaks at Bugbee canyon. Thats my squiggly driveway and 50 feet too short boat ramp. LOL

homesweethome.JPG

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, ski conditions around here are non-existent right now. Maybe you're asking for conditions in specific locations in the future when there is some actual skiing. That would be the time to request more specifics on location.

I went to Timberline last weekend, skiing was on hold for a couple of hours on Sunday, and Palmer didn't open as planned but Magic Mile was open after 10 am. There were a few inches of new snow and is was stilling snowing at times until about noon. Ski conditions were not bad, creamy-ish heavy snow rather than powder, and skiing through the terrain park was sticky and grabby.

However the weather today in Stanwood, WA is sunny with a high of 75, clouds forming later and rain likely tomorrow. Just in case you wanted to know.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
After giving it some thought when I use in my neck of the woods in front of what I'm about to say next I am typically trying to give a little bit of extra weight to my opinion. Like somehow this implies it's not just my opinion but the conensus. It actually has zero relevance to my actual location and is total BS and in no way reflective of where I live other than my personal opinion if I am being brutally honest. And I may not be the only one who actually does this :)

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm happy to give specific locations as long as it's not personal..for instance, if I go riding at Kelso, I'm happy to post where and when and images.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd say that location only matters if your giving details of a specific resort - then the name is needed to make any other info you may want to share worth while.
otherwise i always think of "the area i ski". That encompasses a lot of hills and on this site even more than one region.
not trying to be vague but many years I ski as many days at hills that are not my "local" (Whistler/Blackcomb) than I do there so I never put a home hill on my profile.
Nor much else, now that I think about.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
just checked my profile and it does say sex male.
and that was only because there was no yes option

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not clear what is being asked for.
I show my location as Hailey, Idaho, but how many people know that Hailey is 13 miles from Sun Valley?
When referring to skiing, I usually try to say Sun Valley, but sometimes say my mountain.
Even referring to the mountain as Sun Valley is technically incorrect, since Sun Valley is the resort and immediately surrounding municipality, while the mountains are Bald Mountain and Dollar Mountain.
This is covered in my unofficial guide, since it can be confusing.
So what should I Say?

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
just checked my profile and it does say sex male.
and that was only because there was no yes option

But your profile has no location. So if you make a post and say something like "It was great up here" ... then we have no idea where "up here" is. That's all I'm requesting is an actual location.

(Not to single you out, but you mentioned your profile....)

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not clear what is being asked for.
I show my location as Hailey, Idaho, but how many people know that Hailey is 13 miles from Sun Valley?
When referring to skiing, I usually try to say Sun Valley, but sometimes say my mountain.
Even referring to the mountain as Sun Valley is technically incorrect, since Sun Valley is the resort and immediately surrounding municipality, while the mountains are Bald Mountain and Dollar Mountain.
This is covered in my unofficial guide, since it can be confusing.
So what should I Say?

You're good. Many people have no location in the profile, or a vague location, or a nickname for the location.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
But your profile has no location. So if you make a post and say something like "It was great up here" ... then we have no idea where "up here" is. That's all I'm requesting is an actual location.

how about west of the flat bits ?

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
If the actual location is relevant, you can just ask what neck of the woods that is.

Your profile location is "Great White North (Eastern Side Currently)" When I click on it, it shows a map with MY location. Maybe something a little bit more specific would work? :)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

how about west of the flat bits ?
You realize, of course, that everyone in the east thinks that Kamloops in on the coast and that the Rocky Mountains extend from Alberta to the west coast. And I'm just talking about eastern Canadians. ogsmile

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor

Staff online