• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"In my neck of the woods" "Around here" "Where I live" -- How about an actual location?

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m in Kansas, when we talk about skiing, it’s one of two place. Either Colorado, or the hill that was made for the on/off ramps.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I may get blasted for this.

But I think it’s stupid to offer one’s personal information on a public forum. Google and Apple make billions on our private information. Why should i encourage that by giving it out for free?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Because privacy is an illusion. And it adds context to your posts.

I get your concern, but Google already knows everything. And it's not hidden from Google if you've already given it out in a post. You're just making it easier on us to find it when we need to. But Google knows unless, like my husband, you never ever post anything anywhere.

Last edited:

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Because privacy is an illusion. And it adds context to your posts.

I get your concern, but Google already knows everything. And it's not hidden from Google if you've already given it out in a post. You're just making it easier on us to find it when we need to. But Google knows unless, like my husband, you never ever post anything anywhere.
It’s less about privacy, more about the intrinsic value to every piece of information.

Google makes tons of money on our “public“ informations by selling it to the advertisers. So such information has values. I’m just a tighttwit and don’t want to give it out when I don’t have to.

In this case, google doesn’t know about “me”. It only knows a poster on pugski skis a lot and lives.... nowhere!

As for the context, you know I live in the northeast, maybe even a bit more specific, from my posts.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Google makes tons of money on our “public“ informations by selling it to the advertisers. So such information has values. I’m just a tighttwit and don’t want to give it out when I don’t have to.

My thinking is that if I am going to get ads show up, I would just as soon have them focused on things or places that I am interested in so I actually might make use of the product being advertised.

And I don't care if Google has found a way to make money from otherwise useless insignificant information about me. In fact it makes me feel more important than I actually am. ogsmile

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I was happy to discover that Google thought I was a white male in my 50's. I haven't let them know otherwise. Not sure if that's their default or they infer that from where I go. Let them think that.

But having to root through every post you've ever made to find out where you are is a pain. I only do that kind of research on people if they have pissed me off. LOL!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I was happy to discover that Google thought I was a white male in my 50's. I haven't let them know otherwise. Not sure if that's their default or they infer that from where I go. Let them think that.

But having to root through every post you've ever made to find out where you are is a pain. I only do that kind of research on people if they have pissed me off. LOL!
If someone pissed me off that much, the last thing I would do is internet research; it's too traceable and will help the missing person investigation, which if successful, will also prove premeditation. ogwink

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not clear what is being asked for.
I show my location as Hailey, Idaho, but how many people know that Hailey is 13 miles from Sun Valley?
When referring to skiing, I usually try to say Sun Valley, but sometimes say my mountain.
Even referring to the mountain as Sun Valley is technically incorrect, since Sun Valley is the resort and immediately surrounding municipality, while the mountains are Bald Mountain and Dollar Mountain.
This is covered in my unofficial guide, since it can be confusing.
So what should I Say?
Yep
First time we skied in your 'neck of the woods" we entered Sun Valley into the GPS and ended up in ....Sun Valley, 3-4 kms away from Bald Mountain.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
But having to root through every post you've ever made to find out where you are is a pain.
But why would you care where I live, and how does it add “ context” in a ski forum?

There’s no skiing where I live. Does it matter I live in Texas vs Florida vs New Jersey?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But why would you care where I live, and how does it add “ context” in a ski forum?

There’s no skiing where I live. Does it matter I live in Texas vs Florida vs New Jersey?
Well, knowing where one usually skis gives a frame of reference to one's opinions about equipment, weather, or other ski related topics.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Well, knowing where one usually skis gives a frame of reference to one's opinions about equipment, weather, or other ski related topics.
Except I don’t have a “usually” ski place!

Unless you count Colorado... where I do not live, nor skied more than half my days...( the only thing significant about Colorado is I ski there practically every season for the past 20 years, even if it’s only a few days. But then, the same can almost be said about Vermont — though only if you throw NH into it)

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
In the USA the Mississippi River is generally accepted as the point between east and west. Not sure what that point would be for Canada.
Maybe because of radio station call signs?And those people could still remember Indian Wars. However, I looked it up, and originally the western line went north from the Texas/NM border. It changed in 1923.

1EFA0FE4-A0F2-4F0E-93C4-7C79471E424A.gif
The original is more accurate for west. Then we would have coastal with CA, OR, WA.

It’s all a matter of perspective, as Saul Steinberg showed in 1976. It’s the Hudson River, not the Mississippi.

63118844-B0E4-4703-8C03-2859C3BE4CC7.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I was a student at the university of Akron I was told that Ohio was in the Mid West, but on the other side of Lake Erie from Cleveland is Eastern Canada. :huh:

In a country as big as Canada we don't even have a Mid West, the border between East and West is the Ontario-Manitoba border.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Maybe because of radio station call signs?And those people could still remember Indian Wars. However, I looked it up, and originally the western line went north from the Texas/NM border. It changed in 1923.

View attachment 106866
The original is more accurate for west. Then we would have coastal with CA, OR, WA.

It’s all a matter of perspective, as Saul Steinberg showed in 1976. It’s the Hudson River, not the Mississippi.

View attachment 106867
That is interesting, I think that they still teach the Mississippi River as a dividing line between east and west. By today geopolitical country it is the two coasts and the rest of the country.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
that's because no one who has a choice lives anywhere other than on the coasts in either nation.
and that is going to keep increasing

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
that's because no one who has a choice lives anywhere other than on the coasts in either nation.
and that is going to keep increasing

Most people in this forum would love to live west of the red line. Just sayin'

1EFA0FE4-A0F2-4F0E-93C4-7C79471E424A.gif

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If you want to get a Texan to fur up tell them they don't live in the West. It should be it't own geographical area.

Sponsor

Staff online