• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No I have not. Are you talking about an oscillating fan?

For example, yes.

The point was originally brought up by regatta organisers who would be putting several of these next each other. If the fan from one is blowing against the intake of the next, how is the downwind one not cheating?

And (of course) Concept2 said not to worry, that their rotor speed and acceleration measurement system was robust enough to detect that and compensate. Which of course implies it's also robust enough to compensate for altitude differences in regatta sites.

So I'm wondering if anyone actually experimented on their own - other than just changing damper settings.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Technically they would be affected by air pressure so a fan blowing into it might as well. How much or how little I don’t know. The air exhausts radially from the fly wheel and the intake is on the side. I just compete against myself in my basement so never gave it any thought. ogsmile

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
For example, yes.

The point was originally brought up by regatta organisers who would be putting several of these next each other. If the fan from one is blowing against the intake of the next, how is the downwind one not cheating?

And (of course) Concept2 said not to worry, that their rotor speed and acceleration measurement system was robust enough to detect that and compensate. Which of course implies it's also robust enough to compensate for altitude differences in regatta sites.

So I'm wondering if anyone actually experimented on their own - other than just changing damper settings.
As I understand it, the genius of the C2 is that it reevaluates all the input variables for every stroke. So if your machine is caked in dust and the airflow is down by 20% compared to the guy next to you, the computer knows that and adjusts the formulas to give the correct output. That allows me to compete with anyone in the world regardless of the condition or environmental factors.

Also to be precise, the damper setting is the mechanical thing you move when you want to change how quickly the fan slows down. The Drag Factor which can be viewed on the monitor (somewhere on the secondary screens, I forget exactly where) is what you would use to compare one machine to another. I'm not a grinder so I operate best at a DF of 110. Most big guys will be at 130-140.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Setting resistance high helps me hit some calorie target for a HIIT routine. Like row 15 calories and then jump off to do something else.

For 500m+ I usually have it at ~6. I am 6' and 215 lbs... these things are relative... Being taller helps on the rower.

I used to set the damper higher, but have backed off. I was getting some tendonitis in my forearms that (knock on wood) hasn't come back since I took a long break from rowing and backed down on the damper.
So , I’m doing it incorrectly too. Always have it set at 10. Good time for me for 5,000 meters is 26 minutes.
I‘m far from elite. But unless you have rowed on a C2 you can’t really appreciate the times Fuller is capable of doing.
I remain impressed. I’m 68 next month so I can’t use my age as an excuse(lol)
I will say that when I row it’s at the end of my workout, which includes a good bit of kettle bell, dumbbell seated up and down presses, push up position dumbbell pull ups, etc. General weight lifting after that.

Keep up the great work guys. Inspiring!

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier

A question for all you serious rowers: do you set the C2 resistance on the hardest setting or do you back it off? The online articles I've read all say back it off, but it seems like you're doing a lot of strokes and not going anywhere. I probably won't change, but I'm interested to hear other viewpoints.
The higher you set it the greater the intensity - short distances are high intensity. The people I know typically do intervals in the range of 4 to 7 choosing a distance of 1000 to 2000/times whatever. A 10,000 might be set at 4 or 5 - just examples. It's a great machine, but I was never good at it. That is ok since C2 more or less intrinsically individualizes.

Most typical in our box was a set of 500s with 30 to 60 seconds between. Say 4x500 or 5x500, Everyone chooses their own setting. Friggin killer. Some of the guys and women crushed it while I tended too muddled along... as fast as I could.

This is the only exercise machine that was on the floor at CrossFit. Everything else was bars, weights and bodyweight. It was a temple of pain... fun though.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
We were using older machines. No expert here, but a setting of 10 for a 5,000. would seem too high. I would check with your. New machines might need different settings.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Again, pay no attention to what number the damper is pointing to - take a minute and get the PM5 monitor to display the Drag Factor and play with that number. If you switch machines you can easily duplicate the set up that works best for you.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last week I wanted to see what my 1RM bench press was after a few months of specific once per week strength training--95 lbs.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've belonged to a variety of gyms and for many years have done P90X workouts and the other HIT type workouts at home. I have never done Crossfit. I joined an F45 gym right near my house recently and its been transformational for me. The variety of the exercises, the mix of cardio and resistance and the sense of struggling with others has been great. I've long been a distance runner and always need to work on maintaining and training muscles to balance out my body. I'm in really good shape right now and able to get to the 615 AM workout 3 days a week which is great for me. I supplement other days with running, skiing or whatever else I want to work in. Its keeping me very motivated and interested in continuing to train.

miatamarty

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm 72. My fountain of youth is barbell training with free weights. I've been following the Starting Strength program for many years now. I have a C2 to warm up with. 1000m in about 5 minutes then some stretching then I get under the bar. I only have 3 movements so the workout takes about an hour to hour and 15 minutes. Low bar back squat, overhead press and deadlift. Full body and full range of motion with weights that work your whole body. There are no isolation movements for specific muscle groups. That's why it works so well. It mimics real life movement patterns. I can ski for many hours jump in the car and drive for 2hours to get home. I'm not crippled with stiffness when I get home. Unload the car to ease a little stiffness from sitting then I'm good. I tried Crossfit but my actual strength never really got better. It was more of a social event. I met Eva Twardokens there(long time Olympic skier) who turned me on to the Starting Strength program. She said it was the best thing ever for her knees and back. I have to concur. I've had both knees replaced. I no longer need to see a chiropractor. 10 years ago I ruptured a disc in my lower back that led to a severe case of sciatica, so bad that it lead to some nerve damage causing "foot drop". Doctors wanted to do surgery but their success rate was rather dismal. So I went to the gym and started lifting. I haven't looked back. The foot drop is gone. So many back problems are the result of weak muscles not properly supporting the the spine. I truly believe that my greater strength keeps my back healthy based on personal experience.

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm 72. My fountain of youth is barbell training with free weights. I've been following the Starting Strength program for many years now. I have a C2 to warm up with. 1000m in about 5 minutes then some stretching then I get under the bar. I only have 3 movements so the workout takes about an hour to hour and 15 minutes. Low bar back squat, overhead press and deadlift. Full body and full range of motion with weights that work your whole body. There are no isolation movements for specific muscle groups. That's why it works so well. It mimics real life movement patterns. I can ski for many hours jump in the car and drive for 2hours to get home. I'm not crippled with stiffness when I get home. Unload the car to ease a little stiffness from sitting then I'm good. I tried Crossfit but my actual strength never really got better. It was more of a social event. I met Eva Twardokens there(long time Olympic skier) who turned me on to the Starting Strength program. She said it was the best thing ever for her knees and back. I have to concur. I've had both knees replaced. I no longer need to see a chiropractor. 10 years ago I ruptured a disc in my lower back that led to a severe case of sciatica, so bad that it lead to some nerve damage causing "foot drop". Doctors wanted to do surgery but their success rate was rather dismal. So I went to the gym and started lifting. I haven't looked back. The foot drop is gone. So many back problems are the result of weak muscles not properly supporting the the spine. I truly believe that my greater strength keeps my back healthy based on personal experience.
My wife and I have been doing CrossFit for 10 years and she refers to it as our Fountain of Youth. We have made a lot of strength gains over the years. There was been some slowing down of getting PRs, but I as you get stronger, they seem to come slower. I am also getting older. The real benefit to me is the combination of strength, balance, explosiveness, and agility. The three movements that I have felt transfer over the best t0 skiing are overhead squats, snatches, and box jumps. All require good balance and strength, similar to skiing moguls or steep terrain.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I tried Crossfit but my actual strength never really got better. It was more of a social event. I met Eva Twardokens there(long time Olympic skier) who turned me on to the Starting Strength program. She said it was the best thing ever for her knees and back. I have to concur. I've had both knees replaced. I no longer need to see a chiropractor. 10 years ago I ruptured a disc in my lower back that led to a severe case of sciatica, so bad that it lead to some nerve damage causing "foot drop". Doctors wanted to do surgery but their success rate was rather dismal. So I went to the gym and started lifting. I haven't looked back. The foot drop is gone. So many back problems are the result of weak muscles not properly supporting the the spine. I truly believe that my greater strength keeps my back healthy based on personal experience.

Eva Twardokens is exceptional in the area of fitness and skiing. She owns a Crossfit Box and it is common to see other Crossfit owners adding Starting Strength to programing.

She competed in skiing at the Olympic level. Deb Armstrong and she remind me of each other - their coaching styles.

She got pretty banged up in a small airplane crash. She worked hard at recovery. I have total admiration for her. Crossfit is excellent if it fits your profile. Strength is important for people who find age to be creeping up.

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The program sounds like it works - I do a lot of body weight exercises that engage the core and require a certain amount of movement and balance. Weight machines are good for rehab but I'd rather gain a skill base along with strength.

I am curious about the stated political philosophy of the owners of Starting Strength. It seems rather strident and not really relevant to improving one's health. Does it manifest itself in the day to day interactions of that community?

https://aasgaardco.com/about/

miatamarty

Getting on the lift
Skier
The people at Starting Strength are so far from being politically correct that I find that as a major benefit. They really want people to become healthy with a program that just plain works. They don't have much patience with a lot of the medical community because the medical people have not tried to understand their program. Their success is based on real world empirical evidence. Watch some of their videos with their clients. Young and old are extremely happy to have found them. I know I am. Buy a few of their books. It's kinda like reading an engineering book. The books explain the process of what your doing and why it works. I'm still skiing aggressively for a geezer. All my friends have fallen by the wayside because they have gotten weak. Don't let their politics get in the way of getting stronger and becoming more healthy.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Don't let their politics get in the way of getting stronger and becoming more healthy.
I reread their mission statement and I find myself agreeing with many of their athletic concepts but only a few of their comments on what they perceive as desirable in a modern society. In any case I find it odd that their business model goes out of it's way to challenge their potential customer base in such an overtly political manner and wonder why they mention it at all. I can find more neutral ground to stand on when I'm doing my lunge squats and would look elsewhere.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
It states that the founder is Mark Rippetoe. He was highly regarded at Crossfit. I bet there is a "don't tread on me flag in his office. My coach at Crossfit had a Blues for Allah (Grateful Dead). Meanwhile the owner of Crossfit is very Right if you ask me. But Rippetoe knows a lot about fitness and strength.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any recommendations for gymnastics rings + straps? Or am I overthinking it and can just get anything?