• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In the Home Gym

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I recently got a Bosu ball and am enjoying using it multiple times a day.
Ah...you're sick if you're "enjoying" a Bosu.
I'm currently doing a virtual paddle of the Rideau Canal... it's 202km and I have till June 27th to get it done. Right now I'm doing it on the paddle erg. Once we're in the water (and can travel) I'll get out in the OC.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I will admit to joining the cult of Peloton at the end of last year. With the gyms closed, it's been my saving grace. I don't just ride the bike - I do a lot of the strength, yoga, and stretching classes.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ah...you're sick if you're "enjoying" a Bosu.
I'm currently doing a virtual paddle of the Rideau Canal... it's 202km and I have till June 27th to get it done. Right now I'm doing it on the paddle erg. Once we're in the water (and can travel) I'll get out in the OC.

Sweet - we're looking at the Great Dismal swamp one down here. Skeeters are already half-force, don't want to wait for the flies.

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
I'm older and have been weight training for over 40 yrs. with covid now at home.
I have had two discotomies, two acl reconstructions among others.
For me .. I find cardio of some kind twice a week..bike, brisk walk with hills
twice a week body weight training push ups 150, 3 sets with bars, two decline.
Lateral dumbell raises
2nd workout of week, stretch hamstrings, I am told especially with men hamstrings typically tight which leads to pelvis tilt causing lower back issues, helped me immensely, core with planks and wheel, one foot balance bosu ball..great for ankle strength. Really helped my skiing

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
As a family of 5 with active kids, Covid hit us hard. All the gyms closed, school sports and extra curricular sports canceled, and the ski hills all closed early as did the Freeride and race programs. With that we converted our spare room into a home gym of sorts. To make space we replaced the bed with a murphy bed. We already had a treadmill, elliptical, assorted kettle bells and a Skier's Edge. We added a Nordic Track exercise bike to the mix - we like this over the peloton as it has more scenic trail rides and it automatically changes incline, decline and resistance while riding. We also picked up some adjustable dumbbells', a weight bench and giant workout/yoga mat. The only thing we don't have that would be a nice addition is a squat rack and some heavy weights.

Our family likes to do a lot of outdoor and competitive activities so this just augments that and helps us stay in shape during the off season. It was also great to have this gear while I was rehabbing my shoulder after surgery to augment my PT visits.

Having the smart TV in the room was also great as my kids did a number of virtual classes and were also able to do hit workouts, yoga and dance virtually. As life starts to go back to normal we are going to keep the workout room as sometimes it is just easier to use it than go to the gym. Also for pre-season ski fit prep I really do like the skier's edge.

FCD086CD-FA4E-42DD-9085-50B33911D647.jpeg
04675FE1-9512-459D-8756-DB0CBCEC55CE.jpeg
DF7901B2-E8E4-4F40-9F98-D3D5BA945A45.jpeg
4F9DE253-8616-4DD7-BA45-AFA891984128.jpeg
CE4ECDEA-3CFB-4F60-A95D-8474364B7013.jpeg

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Functional training. Three times a week at 06:30 (a.m.) for an hour, a Skype session with a trainer. Walk as much as possibile (at least 10k steps a day)

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m just going to put it out there that after about August, I stopped exercising at all. Work got crazy with 200+ hours month, and I’m freakishly influenced by space, so working out in the same place as where I spent the other 14 hours of my life wasn’t working for me. I got bored with my walking routes. As such, after every time I skied this winter, my quads would be sore for days. My Orangetheory opens in 7 days, and I’m seriously contemplating heading back (masks are mandatory, I will be 2 wks post my 2nd vax later this week).

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, I am a sick puppy for enjoying my Bosu. The thing is, I was able to make some progress early, so it makes me feel like my balance must actually be improving. Nothing else exercises my feet and lower legs as well, in a way that I can anticipate helping me ski better.
Not only that, but having a month under my belt since my second shot adds to my spring fever.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I’m just going to put it out there that after about August, I stopped exercising at all. Work got crazy with 200+ hours month, and I’m freakishly influenced by space, so working out in the same place as where I spent the other 14 hours of my life wasn’t working for me. I got bored with my walking routes. As such, after every time I skied this winter, my quads would be sore for days. My Orangetheory opens in 7 days, and I’m seriously contemplating heading back (masks are mandatory, I will be 2 wks post my 2nd vax later this week).

Sometimes, just getting by is a win.

I've had some hellish weeks. My workouts have gotten a lot less ambitious since the daily 7:30 meetings started ... Then I had a few setbacks, and it has become way too easy to skip the workout or do a half assed job. Im lucky that I can work from home, so I'm trying to get used to the idea of doing the workouts during the day between meetings, but it definitely affects my concentration.

For the elliptical, I've found that I do best with action movies. It's easier to keep going, hearing every word isn't all that important (though I try to find ones with subtitles), and I can actually see that my heart rate goes up during fight scenes. Right now I'm working my way through the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. The first one is definitely the best.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
One year update -
I managed to stick with the Concept 2 rowing and I have now rowed over 1.1 million meters since March 26, 2020. Rowing is now in my regular workout rotation. The gym opened last Sept and I was going (masked up) about 2/3 times a week for weight training and occasional elliptical/bike workouts (depending on the people density). I am now 4 weeks past my 2nd shot and now hitting the gym 4-5 days per week. We have been pretty steady with walking. With the sun setting later, we will have more opportunities for later and longer walks.

Vapewell

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
When the lockdown was announced, the first thing I thought about was how am I going to train without a gym. I was aware of all those home workouts using your body weight, but this is a short-term solution. Since we had no information about when the gym will re-open, I decided that it was time to build a gym at home. Due to lack of space, I had to figure out how to use it wisely. Luckily, I discovered many options for building a compact gym at home with the right equipment. Now I’m not sure I’ll need to go to a gym anymore.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
When the lockdown was announced, the first thing I thought about was how am I going to train without a gym. I was aware of all those home workouts using your body weight, but this is a short-term solution. Since we had no information about when the gym will re-open, I decided that it was time to build a gym at home. Due to lack of space, I had to figure out how to use it wisely. Luckily, I discovered many options for building a compact gym at home with the right equipment. Now I’m not sure I’ll need to go to a gym anymore.
Welcome.
Got pics to share?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We joined the bandwagon. Small Marcy home gym (that my DH uses more than I do) and basic weights, straps and fit/bosu balls. Although I must say, I was more disciplined about working out when I went to the gym than when it is just in the former kid's room. We also have a treadmill in the hallway that I use when the roads are icy, or the air is smoky, which it is today.

20220511_091810.jpg

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A few weeks ago, I finally bought a rowing machine. I've wanted one for, oh, a long time now. DH, the master organizer, made some room in the basement for both the rower and a TV. The rower is only 60 pounds, so it would be easy to move if we need to access anything.

We already had an ancient elliptical, but I have never liked ellipticals; the pressure hurts my feet over time; and it requires some setup in the main entertainment area, so there's a little extra hurdle to overcome.

I have a bike trainer, but it always hurts my knees to sit and spin for long enough to actually matter.

Anyway, I got the rower. I definitely use it more often than I did the elliptical, and I can even jump on for a quick warmup before my lifting workouts - the elliptical was too much of a hassle to bother for a warmup.

I find it meditative, and it's easy to tell if I'm maintaining my stroke rate. (Pause for laughter.) I'm rewatching True Blood, and I only allow myself to watch while I'm rowing. ... It may take me a while to get through it.

IMG_20220428_201433.jpg

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
A few weeks ago, I finally bought a rowing machine. I've wanted one for, oh, a long time now. DH, the master organizer, made some room in the basement for both the rower and a TV. The rower is only 60 pounds, so it would be easy to move if we need to access anything.

We already had an ancient elliptical, but I have never liked ellipticals; the pressure hurts my feet over time; and it requires some setup in the main entertainment area, so there's a little extra hurdle to overcome.

I have a bike trainer, but it always hurts my knees to sit and spin for long enough to actually matter.

Anyway, I got the rower. I definitely use it more often than I did the elliptical, and I can even jump on for a quick warmup before my lifting workouts - the elliptical was too much of a hassle to bother for a warmup.

I find it meditative, and it's easy to tell if I'm maintaining my stroke rate. (Pause for laughter.) I'm rewatching True Blood, and I only allow myself to watch while I'm rowing. ... It may take me a while to get through it.

View attachment 170489
The Concept 2 is an excellent machine with ways to engage with other rowers online if you are competitive or just need feedback on your form or for training tips. Download the Ergdata app for your phone and connect to the PM5 monitor to automatically record your workouts. Also your rowing form matters, if you're going to spend time on it, learn the basics (just like skiing, but no need to get as obsessive!)

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 170489

I got my Concept 2 a couple months ago and love it. I've been using it with Apple Fitness and have been very happy. It's a good workout and fun.

Sponsor