• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In the Home Gym

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Following on to https://www.pugski.com/threads/in-the-gym.3587/ ...

With skiing unavailable for many of us right now, what are you doing to stay fit, stay sane, and counteract the temptation to eat comfort food 42 hours a day?

I'm lucky enough to have a pretty well appointed home gym, so I can lift heavy things several times a week, and I also have a fair amount of PT/rehab tools to use. I haven't been using any of it, really, because too much free time is the enemy of consistency. I also have plenty of time to walk and garden (and need to get my garden in order!), but again, very little has been happening. So I've just written up a schedule of alternating "lift heavy things" days vs PT/Rehab. I'm not sure if my plan is overly ambitious (aka not enough rest), but I think it'll be good. I do need to work on the yard and veggie patches as well, but I don't have a job or any real responsibilities right now, so I think it'll be okay.

As for the temptation to eat constantly - I got nothing. Our house is filled with food from our now-closed restaurant, including hundreds of eggs (maybe down to just about a hundred by now). I feel like that guy in Forrest Gump, but with eggs. Hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, deviled eggs, sunny side up, banana bread, corn bread, pancakes ... and when I'm done with all those, we have a few quarts of already-whipped eggs in the freezer. Then there are the pounds of chocolate chips, cured meats, raw meats (mostly beef and pork), and maybe 15 gallons of ice cream ... if I can still get through doorways at the end of all this, I'll call it a win.

IMG_20200402_145731.jpg

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve walking and hiking a lot plus riding my bike every chance I get. With all the rain here in the spring that’s not always easy. I also have a Marcy weight gym, like the one below, in my garage that I use quite a bit.

78432D3E-704B-4583-816B-A29404C90F77.jpeg

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are bare bones: A basic old Nordic Track, a Maglev bike trainer, some hand weights and a bongo board.

Fortunately we don't keep a lot of snack foods or carbs in the house. I have type 2 diabetes and try to exercise regularly, eat lots of veggies and very few carbs.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Super bare bones, but at least the weather is nice outside.

I've a couple of lower weight kettlebells, but other than that it's body weight reps. Single leg deadlifts, 1/2 getups, suitcase squats, sumo squats, anything I can think of. I do need to group them in some way so that I have variety and get myself on a schedule. Loosely, I've been following the OrangeTheory at home workouts on YouTube (I am a member). They're okay. I can probably put together something as effective. On the cardio side, bike trainer, longer walks, and short jogs. During the walks, I'll stop every mile and do 20 squats, 20 lateral step ups each side, etc., and finish on my block with walking lunges.

Also type 2 diabetic, so trying not to gain the covid 19 (pounds).

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All I have is some light and very light dumbells (1, 5, 10 pounds) and a yoga mat.
I go up and down the stairs for half an hour, lift dumbells in various directions, then some leg lifts in various axes.

I did some pushups one time, but that seems to have hurt my shoulder. :nono:

Or go for a walk outside if weather is nice.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Have been doing-
-Dog walking
-Rollerblading
-Zoom conference call to crossfit box
-Borrowed 24kg kettlebell from crossfit box (they lent out all their equipment to members)
-Jump rope
-Some hiking. Trail heads are still open ... for now.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I did some pushups one time, but that seems to have hurt my shoulder. :nono:

I am just about to order some gymnastic rings. Pushups bother my shoulder, too, but the rings seem to help because I have complete freedom of movement.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Marcia and I see a personal trainer at a power lifting gym. Yes, I feel inadequate and silly doing exercises next to these extremely fit men and women picking up and putting down extremely large weights. But they are very supportive and all say: we starting out lifting less than you are liftimg.... They emphasize form over quantity of weight — in the year that I have been going, my long term shoulder pain has gone away, and my bad back and knees have never been aggravated.

Anyway, we have some toys and bands at home, and the gym is offering live Facebook training 3 days a week. So, we tune in, do the workouts, and they keep us honest. The exercise routines that they have us perform have options for using actual weights or just body weight. I also “run” 2-3 days a week.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Marcia and I see a personal trainer at a power lifting gym. Yes, I feel inadequate and silly doing exercises next to these extremely fit men and women picking up and putting down extremely large weights. But they are very supportive and all say: we starting out lifting less than you are liftimg.... They emphasize form over quantity of weight — in the year that I have been going, my long term shoulder pain has gone away, and my bad back and knees have never been aggravated.

I think it's pretty rare that serious gym-goers judge anyone else for what they're doing (unless it's actively dangerous). Most people are too absorbed in their own workouts to care much what other people are doing, and the rest have been through cycles of rehab or backsliding themselves. A powerlifting gym sounds great! We visited one while we were in Wichita, and it had such a great vibe. Much better than a "big box" gym.

Online/live video is such a life saver right now. My trainer said he was going to figure something out, but he hasn't contacted me yet. I feel pretty confident with what I've learned from him about programming in the last year+.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As for the temptation to eat constantly - I got nothing. Our house is filled with food from our now-closed restaurant, including hundreds of eggs (maybe down to just about a hundred by now). I feel like that guy in Forrest Gump, but with eggs. Hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, deviled eggs, sunny side up, banana bread, corn bread, pancakes ... and when I'm done with all those, we have a few quarts of already-whipped eggs in the freezer

Advocaat?

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Advocaat?

I thought that was a typo, but now I see it is something much more intriguing! And made me think - hmm, eggnog is in fact made with eggs.

(This is not helping me with healthy eating)

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I just ordered 4kg, 6kg, and 8kg kettlebells to go with the ones I have (10-16). Unfortunately of course I can't do pickup from Rep Fitness (which is less than an hour away), so I paid through the nose for shipping, and ended up with a different brand that was cheaper overall. I want to do Turkish getups and some other things where kettlebells just work better than dumbbells. Have wanted these for a while. Should have gotten them while I could still pick them up! At least I have the larger sizes, which are out of stock many places (and the shipping! Omg!)

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Running, a little bike riding, walking, core work and stretching. I have some light dumbbells lying around, but haven't used them recently. I do do push ups occasionally.

As for the food, my weaknesses are chocolate and beer. I'm only going to the store once a week, and the chocolate is usually gone in 2 days. I don't have a surplus of food in the house, so it's easy to control eating.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the cable pull-downs at the gym were what kept my shoulders healthy. I tried lifting dumbells from overhead while lying on my back to simulate the directionality, but it still puts on too much of a compression load.
I'm thinking of trying to rig something up in the basement using the pulleys and line from my windsurfer down-haul.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online