• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In the Home Gym

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I think the cable pull-downs at the gym were what kept my shoulders healthy. I tried lifting dumbells from overhead while lying on my back to simulate the directionality, but it still puts on too much of a compression load.
I'm thinking of trying to rig something up in the basement using the pulleys and line from my windsurfer down-haul.

Depending on what your shoulders need - my trainer introduced me to the Iron Scap protocol. As the name implies, it's a way of strengthening the scapula, and it has really helped with my impingement. I attach them to a rack, but I imagine you could screw eyebolts into two studs or something like that. It uses CrossOver Symmetry bands. I use purple and red (7 and 15 pounds) - for the ones using the harder bands, I could probably graduate to the next level, but the lighter weight ones are still a lot of effort.

(I was going to put an Amazon product link, but the site tried to interpret it as a media file.)

Someone already put the picture out in the world: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0f/26/4b/0f264b881f3a4943006d49c30b757f78.jpg .. I think it comes with one of the kits, but I can't see paying extra for what really should just be on a piece of paper along with the bands.

YMMV, I'm not a doctor or physical therapist, etc etc.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have been using Tom Merrick's Body Weight Warrior (youtube) follow along program for 2 weeks now. He created a 7 day program for everyone who is at home. Minimal equipment, but very well rounded sessions.

My DH made us a hangboard, so I have been working on finger strength a few times per week. Dave MacLeod on YouTube has some great, in depth instructions and tutorials.
20200404_084628.jpg

I still need to figure out a pullup bar though. I was looking at ones that attach to the wall, but have had information overload.

Any recommendations???

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Someone already put the picture out in the world: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0f/26/4b/0f264b881f3a4943006d49c30b757f78.jpg .. I think it comes with one of the kits, but I can't see paying extra for what really should just be on a piece of paper along with the bands.

My doctor wrote out that same chart in words an stick figures. I couldn't tell what he wanted me to do. Took me months to get most of it down. It's good stuff and it really helped me. Ever since COVID19 I don't do anything except morn the shortened season.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I just did a class with my favorite yoga instructor over Zoom. Not the same as a heated room, but I love the way she teaches, and I have plenty of props at home. Loki managed not to bark the whole entire hour - and he was right next to me, but just sleeping, not in my face at all. There are benefits to having an older dog ...

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
The only equipment I have is bands and a yoga mat. I never bought any equipment in the past since I live in a condo building and we have a gym in the building with machines and weights, but they closed it. So I've been running outside 3x per week (rain permitting) and doing Zoom classes with my trainer (small, local-owned gym). In one of our sessions, I used our Cuisinart mixer as a weight. Then I remembered the box of water I have in my earthquake kit. I think it weighs about 18lbs. It's all about improvising here.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only equipment I have is bands and a yoga mat. I never bought any equipment in the past since I live in a condo building and we have a gym in the building with machines and weights, but they closed it. So I've been running outside 3x per week (rain permitting) and doing Zoom classes with my trainer (small, local-owned gym). In one of our sessions, I used our Cuisinart mixer as a weight. Then I remembered the box of water I have in my earthquake kit. I think it weighs about 18lbs. It's all about improvising here.
I love the mental image of weight training with a mixer!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have everything I could possibly need to be in great shape and yet.....I'm not.

Powerblock adjustable dumbells (up to 50 lbs)
Incline/decline bench
Kettlebells (4kg - 24kg)
Skier's Edge Big Mountain
Proform Studio Bike
Resistance bands w/wall anchor track
Adj. height plyo box
TRX
Bosu ball
Balance board
Pull-up bar

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier

If I did this correctly, here is another set of KB videos from the woman in Denver I took classes from until the stay-at-home order took effect.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I broke down and bought a bike trainer for my road bike. I've actually really enjoyed it. Binge watching Netflix while I pedal away. Running and biking alternating each day, weights every other day and uphilling (legally) a couple of times a week.

My wife's yoga/barre classes are being broadcast through their site so she's not missing a beat. We're losing snow fast so I'm looking forward to getting the MTB out on some low altitude stuff soon.

I won't post a picture of our area since it would fit in a corner of @martyg's space... :)

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Now I don't feel guilty posting this:
IMG_20200321_174623.jpg

(Not pictured: a cheapo cable machine and elliptical, though my foot is not getting along with the elliptical at present.).

Today was day one of my self created exercise program. I'm disappointed in how weak my deadlift is right now, but then again, at least I can do deadlifts. Lifting heavy objects is soothing (or at least, the endorphins are nice). I'm happy to find that while I like having my trainer devise a routine for me, I've absorbed a lot of what he's taught me. I can come up with variations on what he's had me do over the last year or two.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
For those with limited space and equipment, there are a bunch of resistance band and small weight exercises being posted here: https://instagram.com/team_qbp

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My daughter has PE assignments to do at home. (7th grade.) I'm going to do them with her. There is a plank series that is going to kick my ass!

In addition, bike rides around the hood, which include some brief stints on smooth but hilly single track, and hikes on the same trails. Basically, what I normally do during shoulder season.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
My new diy TRX system
C825B8C1-4E29-432D-9BA8-4268F05E1D33.jpeg
:

I have two adjustable dumbbells (with a limited amount of plates), I use a plastic camping plate as a slider for core work, and I have one resistance band that is still hanging on for dear life. Rigged the 'trx' today so I could do some semi-supported pistol squats.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I have been using Tom Merrick's Body Weight Warrior (youtube) follow along program for 2 weeks now. He created a 7 day program for everyone who is at home. Minimal equipment, but very well rounded sessions.

My DH made us a hangboard, so I have been working on finger strength a few times per week. Dave MacLeod on YouTube has some great, in depth instructions and tutorials.
View attachment 98807

I still need to figure out a pullup bar though. I was looking at ones that attach to the wall, but have had information overload.

Any recommendations???

Is that an incut 'jug' on the top edge? I would just use that for pullups, thats what I do when I work pu.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid