• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In the Home Gym

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Good thread. Before the lockdown I picked up a used Olympic weight bench at Play it Again for 99 bucks. Have 220 pounds of weight total and started StrongLifts 5x5. Haven’t missed a day yet and it’s been fun. Also got TRX straps for my birthday recently and installed those too. Was fairly sedentary for too long but had a recent health scare so I’ve been climbing back on the wagon. Also have a bike trainer but I’m more into the weights right now.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have some stuff, like medicine balls and an exercise bike (with a desk on it! perfect for editors) but today I went outside and volleyed tennis balls on the back porch with my daughter and damn that is just so much more fun. I hate gyms.

25ABC3BB-F774-4876-863A-91676AF0DEE6_1_201_a.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Is that an incut 'jug' on the top edge? I would just use that for pullups, thats what I do when I work pu.

She may not have enough forearm strength yet for that.

Question for the collective: is badminton still infra dignitatem during stay at home? I neither admit nor deny having dug a set out of the basement :ogcool:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is that an incut 'jug' on the top edge? I would just use that for pullups, thats what I do when I work pu.
She may not have enough forearm strength yet for that.

Yes, its an incut "jug", but since it was a DIY build, the incut is too sharp of an angle for me to use as a "nice" pullup jug. We didn't realize it at first, but once it was mounted, found out. Its fine for my DH though.

I also want something I can easily attach resistance bands to. On a good note, DH came home with some material to make our own bar.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use a plastic camping plate as a slider for core work

I use Swiffer sheets!

The only equipment I have is bands and a yoga mat. I never bought any equipment in the past since I live in a condo building and we have a gym in the building with machines and weights, but they closed it. So I've been running outside 3x per week (rain permitting) and doing Zoom classes with my trainer (small, local-owned gym). In one of our sessions, I used our Cuisinart mixer as a weight. Then I remembered the box of water I have in my earthquake kit. I think it weighs about 18lbs. It's all about improvising here.

Love the mixer. Mine weighs a ton! You can also fill a backpack or duffel with stuff (books, bags of rice/grains, containers of wine/beer/cooking oil), fill up water bottles.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
I got rid of all my weights years ago and have just been going to the gym. But now I wished I hadn't as there are no weight to buy anywhere. There are some gym equipment vendors in the area and they are all sold out of everything...
So we have been walking the dog more than she has ever wanted and coming up with other creative ways to exercise- guess I need to get the skis and boots out and start doing squats

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Normally I’d be playing or practicing golf everyday from now until November. My club has been closed since March, so I have my setup in the backyard and a putting mat inside the house. I also walk 3 times a week in my neighborhood for about 3 miles, with my golf clubs in a Sunday bag. I want to be ready to walk at least 9 holes when this is over...
E61E665E-70BA-4A33-B081-55F7847EEE5B.jpeg

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's impressive, the lengths people are willing to go. These amazing pics of home gyms point out my laziness. I need a gym, but a bar and some bumper plates would also be good. We are going out for walks everyday - 1.25 to 1.5 miles. Some hills. That's it! Trying to keep the weight gain down - and to keep an attitude of gratitude.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My home gyms consists of a couple of mats, some adjustable dumbbells, stretchy bands and a foam roller. I don't have a ton of space. It is amazing how much work you can get done with your body weight. I like a lot of the variety the beach body programs have and a streaming subscription for 6 mos was $60...that is about as cheap as it gets for a ton of content. I am getting some great workouts indoors in about 30 to 40 minutes which I combine with my running and biking. Highly recommend.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's impressive, the lengths people are willing to go. These amazing pics of home gyms point out my laziness. I need a gym, but a bar and some bumper plates would also be good. We are going out for walks everyday - 1.25 to 1.5 miles. Some hills. That's it! Trying to keep the weight gain down - and to keep an attitude of gratitude.

Mine started with my boyfriend's setup, which was a non-negotiable when he moved into my house. It displaced a cozy reading nook to which I was quite attached. He started the home lifting setup when his son was young, and he was a single dad, so he could do whatever he wanted with his house. It was in the living room! /Boggle ... It's amazing what a difference it makes to have a dedicated workout space. We do want to move to a bigger house with space for a large gym, ideally with two racks and two sets of gear - we have different height settings and lift drastically different weights. But anyway, prior to this whole thing, it seemed like overkill. Now it makes me very happy. My additions include all the kettlebells and the smaller dumbbells, as well as various accessories. And I bought the weight shelves because it was just getting too cluttered.

TL;DR all the adults in the house have to want it, or it's way too much of an imposition. But now that I have it, it's awfully convenient.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I need a gym, but a bar and some bumper plates would also be good.

Oh! For deadlifts, it's worth noting that most garages slope just slightly down to facilitate water drainage. Our concrete slabs were not quite in alignment, and of course are not perfectly even to start. We spent a lot of time contemplating a garage gym before giving up.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Concept 2 rowing machine - at least 30 min/day
200 lbs of plates plus 45lb bar
bands
1 morning walk and 1 afternoon walk

Concept 2 is real good and I just happen to have one. I am thinking about dusting it off and using it. 3q, that's a great routine!

Monique, it's nice to have a workout buddy. My wife has a trainer who is exceptional and a very good friend. She does her thing and I do mine. But I need to do a lot more.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I have some stuff, like medicine balls and an exercise bike (with a desk on it! perfect for editors) but today I went outside and volleyed tennis balls on the back porch with my daughter and damn that is just so much more fun. I hate gyms.

View attachment 99229

Were you practicing volleys in preparation for the Federer Challenge?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Were you practicing volleys in preparation for the Federer Challenge?

I saw a video of Cara Black doing it much more impressively — although I didn’t see the entire one you posted yet.

maverick2

The 1st 50 yrs are practice - we score the 2nd 50.
Skier
Great thread. We've had a home gym for a number of years. We have limited space (the room is 11' x 15') but it's dedicated to workouts, so it's not having to pull double duty as something else. It took a while to figure out what pieces actually fit our lifestyle, available space, and would get used regularly. One of the better additions we made was to add a speed bag. Great bang for buck acquisition. My wife doesn't use it much, but it's difficult for my daughter and myself to walk in there without spending some 5-10 minutes on the speed bag -- it's one of those things that's fun, easy to gain some proficiency at, there's always something you can improve on, and it's a great shoulder workout.

Sponsor

Staff online