• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In the Home Gym

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd like to register a complaint that 34668568 reps with a 10lb dumbbell is the worst thing that has ever happened to me and my pull up bar is waaaay too narrow. I am regretting the day I asked my trainer to write me a program using just what I had at home. I hate lifting things at the best of times. Just give me my heavy weights back so it's 3 reps, 40 minutes and done.

I'm still running 5 days a week and cycling on the trainer 5 days as well (the cars around here are worse than usual with reduced traffic and I don't want to tie up emergency services by riding on the roads). And the dog needs to be walked about 45-60 minutes a day. So at least that's all business as usual.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
When we bought our first house we invested in some free weights and a nice cage which has cables for pretty much anything we'd need. It seemed like a lot of money at the time but we paid it off in 2-3 years of gym membership and 20+ years (and 11 house moves which really sucked) later and it's still going strong. We later added an elliptical and rowing machine and have been happy with our setup. The cage is perfect for skiers for doing squats, deadlifts, cleans, leg extensions, etc.

If I'm at home, it's hard for me to get motivated to drive to a gym but I have no excuses for going down to the basement.

One minor positive of this crisis is I've lost 10 lbs from conserving food and being motivated to workout due to stress but I'd gladly put on 20 lbs though if we could put this shit behind us!

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_172444226.jpg
    IMG_20200418_172444226.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20200418_172502265.jpg
    IMG_20200418_172502265.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 40
TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
cage is perfect for skiers for doing squats, deadlifts, cleans, leg extensions, etc.

How do deadlifts relate to a cage? Just a place to store plates?

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
How do deadlifts relate to a cage? Just a place to store plates?

Just more handy if you don't have rubber plates. We currently have it setup in the basement so it's on a concrete slab and doesn't matter but in other houses it's been on wood flooring where being able to set the dumbell on either the cage or the horizontal safety bars, keeps the plates from ever touching the floor. Regardless we never get so agro as to drop the bar like some of the juice heads at some gyms.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Just more handy if you don't have rubber plates. We currently have it setup in the basement so it's on a concrete slab and doesn't matter but in other houses it's been on wood flooring where being able to set the dumbell on either the cage or the horizontal safety bars, keeps the plates from ever touching the floor. Regardless we never get so agro as to drop the bar like some of the juice heads at some gyms.

We do have bumper plates. I don't drop the bar, but often it lands rather assertively. ... We have rubber stall mats over the hardwood floor. So far we haven't broken through to the basement :)

AndrewRoss

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It is nice to have a gym at home. After everything was shut down during the quarantine. Obviously, I gained weight, and my abs got a nice blanket made of fat. I think a lot of people faced the same problem, and I am not the only one. After that, I am thinking of getting a treadmill or an elliptical cross trainer at home and some free weights. Starting to get ready for the second wave.

AndrewRoss

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
By the way, what would you recommend to get the first treadmill or an elliptical cross trainer? I cannot afford both, but I need to get at least something. I don’t want to spend money on a cheap machine that will break soon. So, I decided that I need to get high-quality equipment. I don’t want to waste money on a gym membership. They might shut down again and soon, and for the next time, I am not letting myself get more weight. Also, I am trying to keep a diet and get recipes here https://www.modernfit.com/food/how-to-order-keto-at-taco-bell-for-a-low-carb-diet/ and reduce the number of carbs I take. I noticed that after quarantine, while we were lying on a couch and eating whatever we want, I am getting tired faster.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Check your local Play It Again sports store or similar. Usually good used equipment in many brands.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It is nice to have a gym at home. After everything was shut down during the quarantine. Obviously, I gained weight, and my abs got a nice blanket made of fat. I think a lot of people faced the same problem, and I am not the only one. After that, I am thinking of getting a treadmill or an elliptical cross trainer at home and some free weights. Starting to get ready for the second wave.
By the way, what would you recommend to get the first treadmill or an elliptical cross trainer? I cannot afford both, but I need to get at least something. I don’t want to spend money on a cheap machine that will break soon. So, I decided that I need to get high-quality equipment. I don’t want to waste money on a gym membership. They might shut down again and soon, and for the next time, I am not letting myself get more weight. Also, I am trying to keep a diet and get recipes here https://www.modernfit.com/food/how-to-order-keto-at-taco-bell-for-a-low-carb-diet/ and reduce the number of carbs I take. I noticed that after quarantine, while we were lying on a couch and eating whatever we want, I am getting tired faster.

I also have a fluffy blanket protecting my abs. On the plus side, it increases the resistance on my decline sit ups. I have an adjustable bench, so I do them at 55*, and just got back to holding a weight as well. Amazing what 5 pound will do. The smoke right now is making it really hard for me to even go on a walk or hike, let alone go ride. It's hard enough for me to motivate for cardio - this is not helping!

Have you used a treadmill or an elliptical before? A lot of people find ellipticals better because they're easier on their knees. I find them weirdly destabilizing; my feet always seem to be migrating off the pedals, and the stance is too wide to be comfortable. Personally if my elbow weren't an issue, I would go for a rower over either of those, though you do need to pay attention to proper technique (it's not an arm exercise). If you have the chance, I would make sure you've tried them all and go with the one you hate least ... er, the one you like.

For a treadmill exercise that's easy on your knees, you can also run it on "manual," straighten your arms against the front bar, and "push" the tread by walking. Not the same experience as running, of course.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
We have a Peloton, elliptical, bench, DB, KB, Bands, various rehab tools, ab mat, ab wheel and TRX hanging from the Ceiling. So now I just have to use it. This summer has been biking, walking the dog, playing golf - rinse and repeat.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
.I find them weirdly destabilizing; my feet always seem to be migrating off the pedals, and the stance is too wide to be comfortable.
My feet also move around a lot, but I have the opposite stance problem - it always feelS like I can’t take a long enough stride so my quads start to feel pretty cramped.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My feet also move around a lot, but I have the opposite stance problem - it always feelS like I can’t take a long enough stride so my quads start to feel pretty cramped.

Interesting! Definitely does to show that ellipticals aren't better for every body.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I've been back at the gym since August. 2X a week. Mostly weight etc. But they do have 3 "assault bikes". These are similar to the Schwinn bikes with the handles and pedals. That's my Cardio after the workout.

At home I have a cheap bike trainer (I'm not competing with anyone else but the mice) and my Paddle erg. My trainer gave me 2 15lb wts during the lockdown. I've numerous bands and a stability ball. Add in a beautiful walking path on the bay and now the chance to paddle my new OC-1 on the lake.

So come winter, I'll be using the trainer and the P'erg a lot. Thinking about finding the XC skis that are somewhere at the cottage.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's been a while but I needed to get serious, so about 3 weeks I did. Hell, when you have no real excuse, you are just an idiot.

1st week with heavier weights though. It is a start, DL.

View attachment 130183

Love deadlifts.

I did ... Something to my back and had to press pause on most everything. It's driving me nuts! Even yoga aggravates it. Out of RICE, the hardest for me is the R.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Back pain sucks. I know I'm dong more lower back exercises to prevent it

My back and core are pretty damn strong. My best guess is that I was trying to compensate for just a tiny imbalance. I was at the end of my workout and I must have compromised form for just a moment.

It was the first time I tried to squeeze in all my sets just before a Zoom meeting. I hurt myself with three minutes to go. Gotta wonder if I was distracted because the meeting was coming up.

My lower back is still just upset enough not to risk workouts, and my neck/upper back are hurting from whatever weird things I'm doing trying to get comfortable overnight. Weirdly, though, I did my first hike in months - and that felt just fine! Bodies are weird.

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have been using Tom Merrick's Body Weight Warrior (youtube) follow along program for 2 weeks now. He created a 7 day program for everyone who is at home. Minimal equipment, but very well rounded sessions.

My DH made us a hangboard, so I have been working on finger strength a few times per week. Dave MacLeod on YouTube has some great, in depth instructions and tutorials.
View attachment 98807

I still need to figure out a pullup bar though. I was looking at ones that attach to the wall, but have had information overload.

Any recommendations???
My "Iron Gym" is a pull-up bar that rests on the top of the door frame. It has some straps so that I can alternatively hang by my shoulders, for stretching or exercise.

I recently got a Bosu ball and am enjoying using it multiple times a day. I also have dumbbells and a nice rowing machine I should use more often.

Sponsor

Staff online