• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Independence Day Celebration -- What do YOU do?

Independence Day Celebration

• Fireworks - Watching

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Fireworks - Shooting

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Picnic/Barbeque

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Beer/Wine/Spirits

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Parade

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Outdoors (Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Boating, etc)

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Your choice (list)

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's just around the corner. Celebrate the birth of our great nation by blowing up a small part of it.

List what you do in the poll.

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I love fireworks. We go to the beach for the morning parade, picnic/BBQ, some beer, then we shoot off fireworks while watching the big display. I just bought my fireworks today, and the local news was there to film.

KATU-News-Fireworks

Fireworks-Inventory-July-2022.JPG

Last edited:

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
As usual, I will be watching the firework from a boat.

Since you didn't distinguish parade watching vs marching, I'll tick that box too (watching)

The rest, I assume everybody do all of them anyway. We're no exception.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As an...ahem...older gent, I'm kinda tired of fireworks. If they're in front of me, I'll watch, but I'm not going anywhere to see them.

And I'm +1,000 on Phil's comment: no danger of burning anything down where we live, but I'm completely over the local neighborhood jackasses who start with the crap on July 2 and keep going until the 6th. Enough!

...oh, and by the way.... get off my lawn!

Posaune

sliding
Skier
We camp for a week at a friend's private camp spot along the Nooksack River near B'ham. We have been doing this for years out of reckonning. For fireworks there is a large private display on the river bank at camp, but since we can look down and watch the guys setting off the civic fireworks in Bellingham from our front porch we go back to town for the night and then head back to camp in the AM. It's about a 25 minute drive.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We'll probably cook out here at home, but avoid crowds. It can be a lot when you live in an area where tourists come to celebrate.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Magic Mountain in londonderry, Vermont has a pretty spectacular 4th of July.

Town parade in which my friend drives the Magic bus. I got to ride in it last year and hand out candy and stickers. Then we all party and BBQ all afternoon and evening at our condo. The black line tavern (base lodge is open and has a band playing. Then the town of londonderry shoots of fireworks at Magic at night to which we've got front seating from the lawn of the condo.

It's a pretty amazing day.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We are usually camping somewhere off grid but this year we'll be leaving on the 7th for points north. I've been told that going camping on the 4th would be too close to leaving on our big summer trip. :rolleyes:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We usually are on Lake Wallenpaupack and watch their annual fireworks “over the lake”.

This year we will be in Burlington visiting our kids…hiking/biking in the area. We are planning dinner at Deep City/Foam…then watching fireworks “over a different/bigger lake”….lol.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We will most likely weather permitting be at the shore house, grill some food, maybe I will get some fishing in and watch the fireworks from our community beach. The NJ Shore towns put on a fireworks show and from our community beach we can see them all around us, it is like a 360 degrees of fireworks. We go to the community beach bring some adult beverages, beach chairs and just enjoy the shows. Some of our neighbors also put on some private source shows and they don't skimp on the pyrotechnics.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Class C fireworks are totally legal within city limits here. I also have a stash of better ones smuggled in from out of state. That said, anything that flies far enough to drop burinng embers on your neighbor's house or property not belonging to you is out.. Also, anything loud enough to be confused for actual gunfire is out.. Sparkly crackly stuff that goes up less than about 50-75 feet is cool. Everything else is frowned upon here. Durham Bulls ballpark up the street should have some professional stoke to enjoy..

I remember the days at the beach or lake shooting bottle rockets and mortars out over the water. Then walking along the beach the next several mornings picking up the remnants that washed ashore.

Hard to get too excited about anything USA/America stoked with all the division though. I expect a lot of people will be toning down the celebrations this weekend or bowing out altogether..

Were burying my mom at Arlington Friday with dad who's already there so there's that. Grateful the government is taking care of that for us for sure..

Rest of the weekend back home grilling, probably a watermelon Sunday-Monday. The amount of fireworks I ignite will depend on how the rest of the neighborhood is feeling it. If there's lots of little kids around excited about it I'll go bigger. If it's just us, probably just a couple fountains ended with a 10 shot roman candle... totally over our property with no loud reports. just crackles and pops. Maybe a couple black cats before dark.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Class C fireworks are totally legal within city limits here. I also have a stash of better ones smuggled in from out of state. That said, anything that flies far enough to drop burinng embers on your neighbor's house or property not belonging to you is out.. Also, anything loud enough to be confused for actual gunfire is out.. Sparkly crackly stuff that goes up less than about 50-75 feet is cool. Everything else is frowned upon here. Durham Bulls ballpark up the street should have some professional stoke to enjoy..

I remember the days at the beach or lake shooting bottle rockets and mortars out over the water. Then walking along the beach the next several mornings picking up the remnants that washed ashore.

Hard to get too excited about anything USA/America stoked with all the division though. I expect a lot of people will be toning down the celebrations this weekend or bowing out altogether..

Were burying my mom at Arlington Friday with dad who's already there so there's that. Grateful the government is taking care of that for us for sure..

Rest of the weekend back home grilling, probably a watermelon Sunday-Monday. The amount of fireworks I ignite will depend on how the rest of the neighborhood is feeling it. If there's lots of little kids around excited about it I'll go bigger. If it's just us, probably just a couple fountains ended with a 10 shot roman candle... totally over our property with no loud reports. just crackles and pops. Maybe a couple black cats before dark.
Sorry to hear about your mom passing, hope you are doing ok.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sorry to hear about your mom passing, hope you are doing ok.
Thanks, all OK. Covid got her January of 2021,. Been waiting this long for Arlington to schedule the services. Will be a good opportunity for a small family reunion, see my sister and some cousins I've not seen in way too long.

James

Out There
Instructor
Magic Mountain in londonderry, Vermont has a pretty spectacular 4th of July.

Town parade in which my friend drives the Magic bus. I got to ride in it last year and hand out candy and stickers. Then we all party and BBQ all afternoon and evening at our condo. The black line tavern (base lodge is open and has a band playing. Then the town of londonderry shoots of fireworks at Magic at night to which we've got front seating from the lawn of the condo.

It's a pretty amazing day.
When are the fireworks, Sun night?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I live in a rural area, so various neighbors invite their friends and families to light fireworks ALL FREAKING DAY AND NIGHT!! My dog is not pleased, and since she is barking and whimpering everytime fireworks goes off, circling around trying to figure out where the offenders are, it’s difficult for us as well. We’ll give her some doggy meds and keep her inside with music or white noise from a fan.

Other than that, it’s usually gardening work.