• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Independence Day Celebration -- What do YOU do?

Independence Day Celebration

• Fireworks - Watching

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Fireworks - Shooting

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Picnic/Barbeque

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Beer/Wine/Spirits

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Parade

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Outdoors (Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Boating, etc)

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Your choice (list)

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And people wonder why we have laws regulating certain things....

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Many laws are simply guardrails for worst case of stupid scenarios.. why we can't have nice things... I used to go bigger with home fireworks. Still slightly beyond 100% inside city limits legal, but I'm way lame compared to many neighbors around the apartment complexes nearby..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Binging Stranger Things today. Independence Day tomorrow morning..

Last night the contractor working for the landlord nextdoor burned part of our wood fence down. They were burning the bamboo they had finally taken down after years of neglect.. I guess they thought they had extinguished it when they left last night. Heard popping in the back yard at 5am.. Thought it was drunks and fireworks.. This morning went out back with the dog and saw this... and the trail of ashes lead to the area where the neighbor was burning bamboo yesterday.. Went and talked to the folks who live there.. They are going to make sure the contractor replaces the fence panels. Immigrants, nobody wants the cops called about anything unless someone's dying..

This morning did some minor work to ensure that the chicken wire and chain link fencing behind the wood is secure so the dog won't get out... Then cut the grass and ran a few errands after discussing the "situation: with the neighbors on both sides of us.. Neighbor said he was out there putting it out at 5am when he saw it though the window. Otherwise it could have been a LOT worse. There's 80 pounds of propane in our shed less than 60 feet from there. :eek:

View attachment 172595

Tonight depends on the weather.. Will grill Ribeyes if the rain holds off. Otherwise breakfast for dinner tonight and steaks tomorrow.

Fireworks in the street later... after the rain. Tomorrow night a few too. I always have a hose and sprayer on and ready if needed... Wish they had been equally careful with fire yesterday..
Update to this. The people who live in the place next door back side unit who were burning the bamboo came today and "repaired" our fence with a 4x8 sheet of flakeboard and assorted scrap wood.. and a new post set. I'm kinda surprised they actually did anything. Fence is already 20 years old and well past replacement condition so I'm good with their low budget solution. It's functionally sound enough to hold until we get around to replacing the entire fence in a couple years.

I had already ordered this to resolve the cosmetic/aesthetic issues knowing however it was repaired won't match anyway..

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Update to this. The people who live in the place next door back side unit who were burning the bamboo came today and "repaired" our fence with a 4x8 sheet of flakeboard and assorted scrap wood.. and a new post set. I'm kinda surprised they actually did anything. Fence is already 20 years old and well past replacement condition so I'm good with their low budget solution. It's functionally sound enough to hold until we get around to replacing the entire fence in a couple years.

I had already ordered this to resolve the cosmetic/aesthetic issues knowing however it was repaired won't match anyway..

do everybody a favor and tell your neighbor in the back to get a new contractor. Before someone dies.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
do everybody a favor and tell your neighbor in the back to get a new contractor. Before someone dies.
It's mostly immigrants here renting, paying cash, and doing maintenance for cheaper rent. There are probably 3 other people within 3 blocks of here who actually own the house they live in. Getting any of the slumlords to respond to a call if you're lucky enough to get their actual number is pretty impossible.

Snitches get stitches or worse.. If I see fire out of control I call it in...Did that last spring when the neighbor on the other side had a croc pot short circuit and burn up their kitchen. Nobody was home. I saw the smoke and called it in. Firehouse got there just in time to get it before the whole house went up. just the kitchen countertop and wall behind the crock pot. Unless someone's about to die or my property is in jeopardy no point in getting involved.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless someone's about to die or my property is in jeopardy no point in getting involved.

I am a New Yorker so I fully understand the feeling of not getting involved. But you are already involved. They burned your fence. As they say, good fences make good neighbor.

Just bad gut feeling. My gut is seldom wrong.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I am a New Yorker so I fully understand the feeling of not getting involved. But you are already involved. They burned your fence. As they say, good fences make good neighbor.

Just bad gut feeling. My gut is seldom wrong.
Fence is repaired, fully function as intended. They did their best. I'm good with that. Hoping lesson learned with the burning.. It's legal to burn here BTW..

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January