• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Independence Day Celebration -- What do YOU do?

Independence Day Celebration

• Fireworks - Watching

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Fireworks - Shooting

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Picnic/Barbeque

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Beer/Wine/Spirits

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Parade

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Outdoors (Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Boating, etc)

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Your choice (list)

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Today is Canada Day. Happy day to all of the Canuks out there! Some of them are celebrating by crossing the border and shopping. This morning I went to Lowe's and about 1/3 of the cars in the parking lot had B.C. plates. We decided to skip Trader Joe's because the parking lot was crammed with cars with Canadian plates. I quail to think of the crowd at Costco. We're 20 minutes from the border.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm planning to go bed early on July 4th and get out the next morning for some golf.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Today is Canada Day. Happy day to all of the Canuks out there! Some of them are celebrating by crossing the border and shopping. This morning I went to Lowe's and about 1/3 of the cars in the parking lot had B.C. plates. We decided to skip Trader Joe's because the parking lot was crammed with cars with Canadian plates. I quail to think of the crowd at Costco. We're 20 minutes from the border.
Ah, the Bellingham Costco. I've never seen so much milk leave on flatbeds!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Remember to AVOID getting hurt this weekend. The new PGY-1 Interns and Residents started this week--do you really want to get treated by someone who has 1-5 days total experience?
Came here to post bit instead will echo. I remember from the public administration city/county management courses that July 4th weekend is the busiest/worst time of the year for EMT/Fire/ED/Hospitals and folks who end up needing those services.

Heat, alcohol, partying, fireworks, drunk driving all big factors in the chaos

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Remember to AVOID getting hurt this weekend. The new PGY-1 Interns and Residents started this week--do you really want to get treated by someone who has 1-5 days total experience?
I remember a buddy of mine from high school who went on in to hand specific ortho surgery said when he was doing the ER shifts he saw a LOT of watermelon slicing (and a few M80 in the hand) injuries over the 4th and other summer holiday weekends.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
In one of the ski shops I worked a coworker had lost a finger and a half to a firecracker. He always had trouble with buckling ski boots for customers. It wasn't easy to watch him sell boots, he could sell skis with the best of them but boots were a different story.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Page three, maybe I missed it... but has nobody mentioned that... "I COULD HAVE BEEN AT A BBQ!!!! but no you had to come down here all big and bad... and.. WHAT'S THAT SMELL?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I ignore it. I got over fireworks 35 years ago when they used to blast them right over our heads for New Year's at Camelback. We've had many dogs who can't handle them either. My current spent last night whining and crying while i was trying to recover from my ablation. He was crying again tonight and I'm playing music with some throbbing bass to disguise the fireworks and I think it's helping.

At least it hasn't been dry yet this year, so I'm not worried about being incinerated because of some slob.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
We are usually camping somewhere off grid but this year we'll be leaving on the 7th for points north. I've been told that going camping on the 4th would be too close to leaving on our big summer trip. :rolleyes:
My daughter and her fiance went up to Canada and will be back by the 4th, so I suspect their dog will have close to a week of trauma.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This year we probably won't see many fireworks displays, as we are committed to picking friends up from the airport at 8:30.
Of course, given the state of the airlines, who knows if and when they will actually arrive.

Happy Fourth of July to all!

Photo is from several years ago at Mammoth.

FB_IMG_1656694204703.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Binging Stranger Things today. Independence Day tomorrow morning..

Last night the contractor working for the landlord nextdoor burned part of our wood fence down. They were burning the bamboo they had finally taken down after years of neglect.. I guess they thought they had extinguished it when they left last night. Heard popping in the back yard at 5am.. Thought it was drunks and fireworks.. This morning went out back with the dog and saw this... and the trail of ashes lead to the area where the neighbor was burning bamboo yesterday.. Went and talked to the folks who live there.. They are going to make sure the contractor replaces the fence panels. Immigrants, nobody wants the cops called about anything unless someone's dying..

This morning did some minor work to ensure that the chicken wire and chain link fencing behind the wood is secure so the dog won't get out... Then cut the grass and ran a few errands after discussing the "situation: with the neighbors on both sides of us.. Neighbor said he was out there putting it out at 5am when he saw it though the window. Otherwise it could have been a LOT worse. There's 80 pounds of propane in our shed less than 60 feet from there. :eek:

1656876495768.png

Tonight depends on the weather.. Will grill Ribeyes if the rain holds off. Otherwise breakfast for dinner tonight and steaks tomorrow.

Fireworks in the street later... after the rain. Tomorrow night a few too. I always have a hose and sprayer on and ready if needed... Wish they had been equally careful with fire yesterday..

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Binging Stranger Things today.
@AKMINK turned on the Yellowstone marathon yesterday morning at 8am since she hadn't seen the 1st episode. We turned the TV off at 10pm after watching all 9 season one episodes and 4 of season 2. Through sheer willpower we did NOT turn the TV on today. Looks like I'll have to get the Paramount or buy the DVD set.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like I'll have to get the Paramount
You get a week free if you can cram it into that. Or 1-month is only $5, and then you can cancel. I've done that a few times with streaming services to watch something in particular.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Went with the ribeyes tonight. 3 more episodes of Stranger Things. A couple firecrackers and Independence Day tomorrow morning to get things rolling.

Probably be done with everything by 9:30pm tomorrow. Other than some idiot wrecking my fence it's been a good weekend. Arlington was HOT Friday, but it feels really good to finally have full closure with my parents.

Sponsor

Staff online