• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Indoor mogul skiing at Big Snow

recbumper

Getting off the lift
Skier
A group of us went to Big Snow in NJ and skied in a very nice mogul line. It was super fun :)

Big Snow 3.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^ I believe they keep seeded bump lines there on one side all the time.. It's good terrain to start to learn on but probably not steep enough to really prepare someone for legit bump runs..

TS
R

recbumper

Getting off the lift
Skier
We skied in the mogul line on Friday and they kept it over the weekend.

We stepped / slipped the line regularly to help it keep the nice smooth shapes. The line became really nice -- sugar-sweet!

The slope is moderate-to-easy. The top foot of snow is light & powdery. Then lower down is a much firmer base. It looks like ice but isn't really ice -- rather hard compacted snow. As the bump line got down into the base it keeps shaving off back into powdery snow.

The result was a quite slick/fast surface, with moderate slope, and perfect bump spacing. It was good for technique practice, with the main elements of fullscale mogul skiing, but without the superdeep moguls you get at Killington or Whistler camp. It was deep enough to start needing some absorption, but without the really big impacts.

Lots of fun :)

Raymond Slarver

Booting up
Skier
No bumps either of the two times I've been (once last summer, and recently at the end of September.) It was either slalom around beginners on the main slope, or tight turn under the poma lift. We mostly kept to the poma side.

Haven't been there yet, though it's not very far away from me. This makes me wonder if they note on their website/social media when they've seeded bumps, built park features (do they do that?) or anything else. It would be great if they did!

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Yeah, they didn't have bumps in September like @skiki said, I was there the same day. Maybe I need to go back one more time before the season starts.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Late Oct early Nov Gathering!!!

Btw @Olesya C, are you going to catch the Warren Miller film Nov 5th Academy of Natural Sciences?
Yes, exactly! I was posting in the first resort to open thread that I want to ski so bad I want to go to Big Snow one more time before my seson start on Thanksgiving.

I didn't know about the Warren Miller movie in Philly - that looks like fun! If my husband is willing to go, we will go.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, exactly! I was posting in the first resort to open thread that I want to ski so bad I want to go to Big Snow one more time before my seson start on Thanksgiving.

I didn't know about the Warren Miller movie in Philly - that looks like fun! If my husband is willing to go, we will go.
At this point the bump line is the draw for me, otherwise I'm content to wait for real snow

Prior to pandemic, the Philly Warren Miller film was a good time, they also did two time slots. Was worth going for the swag alone, which in past years included two day lift tix at Jackson Hole, Sugarbush lift tix, Elk Mt lift tix, one of the resorts in the Cat's and fun nick-nacks. The movie ticket also included a raffle grand prize Europe ski trip, and bonus prizes, ski poles and some other stuff.
I last attended it in 2019 post Warren Millers passing and the swag wasn't as good, but not bad either. No idea how it'll be now, website doesn't list much of anything, however in the past some of the swag wasn't announced until the event

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I haven't been to the movies in 3-4 years either. Warren Miller films sound like fun. My first public event since pandemic start was a ballet performance this summer, wore N95 inside the theater. Masks were required in the theater. I would wear N95 as well to any indoors event with a lot of people.

Yes, I agree that the bump line is a reason to go to Big Snow.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have submitted reviews multiple times to Big Snow asking for a bump line, this is very exciting! Not sure if I’ll make it before regular skiing now, but I hope they get good feedback and keep bumps in the future.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I swear I recall seeing video of seeded bumps there and evena jump. Might have been for some specific mogul camp? I guess it could have been another fridge somewhere else..

TS
R

recbumper

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ima head back to Big Snow on Nov. 4 & 5 (Fri & Sat, usually ski more or less from opening to closing). If a mogul line skis in nicely then will ski bumps, otherwise gonna work on mogul turn drills on the flats. I'm trying to iron out some heel-pushing that I'm doing with my right leg that interferes with clean turns on that side. Maybe see some of y'all there

Sponsor